Favourite Track(s)

Papa, I've made my thoughts known on LM's idea for their so called "destination city races". It's not F1. At a time when IndyCar and NASCAR are turning their backs on street circuits in favour of going back to dedicated racetracks, I do wonder about the sanity of LM pursuing this. There are 4 street circuits on the calendar already, Baku, Russia, Singapore and Monaco. Plus there's an argument that Albert Park and Circuit Gilles Villeneuve are also street circuits, and I'll be brutal in my assessment I personally wouldn't miss 5 of them were they dropped, but understand Monaco's place in the sport. I walked the proposed Copenhagen street circuits with a safety delegation a while back now, and I had serious concerns about that in terms of safety, but compared to the proposed Florida circuit it was a health and safety paradise. I'm just not sure about trying to force feed the Americans F1. They'll either come round or they won't. They've taken to CotA in big numbers, just don't see why there needs to be a second F1 race in the USA when there clearly isn't the demand.

NeilP, the one who revived it would be the necromancer I believe.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Which is your favourite current F1 track, and why? - Silverstone, it has it all for me. History, its a good racing track that present opportunities for both defeat and Victory in any given corner and the atmosphere sounds amazing, sad to say I have never been to an F1 race but maybe when my life settles down I will make it.

Which is your favourite historic F1 track, and why? - I just loved the old Hockenheim, I know it was pretty boring but I thought it was some awesome driving through the forest at great speed and my it was around the time I got into really watching seriously with my hero Nigel Mansell and he did kinda okay there!

Lastly, if you could take modern F1 back to any previous track, or to a new venue - which would it be, and why? - I truly dont feel I have enough personal knowledge to comment on this part of the thread other than what I have read from you guys so I can either go with Watkins Glen because there is obviously pressure to bring at least another race to the USA or for a new destination how about somewhere in Scandinavia. It has produced a lot of great drivers in many forms of racing principally rallying but I do appreciate its a small region with little population.

(05-09-2018, 04:42 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  The Miami Herald reported on Saturday that the delegation of county administrators – including Police and Fire Department chiefs – would travel to Singapore and get first-hand experience of how a F1-standard street race operated, in a trip costing around $18,000.

I bet the administrators, police and fire chiefs are gutted. That would have been an awsome free pissup!
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Not a favourite track opinion but a “new” circuit question why is it with relatively new circuits such as Sochi, Mexico and Abu Dhabi, Baku do they consist of many turns then one big straight, for me it negates racing and centralises overtakes? Is anyone else of similar opinions??I like Texas that’s quite racy in parts.

(18-09-2018, 06:05 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  Not a favourite track opinion but a “new” circuit question why is it with relatively new circuits such as Sochi, Mexico and Abu Dhabi, Baku do they consist of many turns then one big straight, for me it negates racing and centralises overtakes? Is anyone else of similar opinions??I like Texas that’s quite racy in parts.

Mexico!? That's not really a new circuit, it's an old classic with some needed redevelopment for todays cars.

Modern tracks are mostly "meh", far to characterless generally. Tilke tracks are usually a bit sterile, but theres normally at least a couple of decent corners. Texas / COTA however, that one they got right and it has the makings of a future classic. It has a cracking layout and (for me) the best non classic/historic track by far. I always look forward to that race (and you'd think I'd be put off, becuase the year we went there it yamped down with rain for most of the weekend).
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

I used to question the new / modern Tilke tracks, but he's had quite a few successes, CotA, Malaysia is also classic, and Turkey was amazing. Abu Dhabi isn't bad either, although Bahrain is rubbish in my opinion. I've got mixed feeling over China, part of me thinks it's a great track, and other parts of me think some of it is Mickey mouse.

To answer your question LotusLover the theory used to be that long sequences of corners could force errors / give different drivers opportunities to take different racing lines to stay close, and then bugger off down long straights into breaking zones to allow overtaking. The theory proved to be wrong.

Some of the tracks he got it right, probably by accident, but some others like the India and South Korea tracks he got it hideously wrong.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(15-11-2017, 06:06 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Another thing we agree on...Spa ( older version with `bus stop` up to 2002 I think) and Turkey haha, I also love Laguna Seca, obviously not for f1 but for Moto gp

Got to agree with Forza on that one.
[+] 2 users Like A10Tankbuster's post

Official attendance figures released by Formula 1 reveal the British Grand Prix had the highest attendance of any race during the 2018 season.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/under...s/4315959/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Forza like it normally does. Liberty Media want shooting if they lose Silverstone.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(21-12-2018, 07:55 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Forza like it normally does. Liberty Media want shooting if they lose Silverstone.

Jody, I vote for shooting them anyway.....just to be on the safe side  Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post