Active Suspension coming back 2021

God has answered my prayers boys. Multiple websites are reporting that active suspension could be returning in 2021. Google search "active suspension returns F1 2021". 
1. Simplify wings. Check. Front wing in 2019. The rest in 2021.
2. Active suspension. Check. Standard active suspension coming in 2021.

AND THE BIG ONE BOYS...ARE YOU READY... WAIT FOR IT....
3. Ground effects cars. It's coming. I can feel it. I can taste it. 

JODY BARTON after 4 years of complaining on Motorsport.com .... we are almost there. Keep your fingers crossed.
[+] 6 users Like Gordo Sixtytwo's post

(04-06-2018, 08:05 PM)Gordo Sixtytwo Wrote:  God has answered my prayers boys. Multiple websites are reporting that active suspension could be returning in 2021. Google search "active suspension returns F1 2021". 
3. Ground effects cars. It's coming. I can feel it. I can taste it. 

Dont get too excited....this is F1...I`m sure they will find a way to F**k it up somehow Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 5 users Like forzaferrari's post

Forza, if they screw this up I swear I will give up on F1. They can’t be that stupid. Scratch that.. The teams can but hopefully Ross Brawn isn’t.
Just got keep the pressure on them. We are really close to getting rid of these crap top side aero cars that can’t follow each other and battle wheel to wheel. Keep the faith. :-)
[+] 3 users Like Gordo Sixtytwo's post

Dont get too excited....this is F1...I`m sure they will find a way to F**k it up somehow Wink
[/quote]

Factual post of the week goes to...…… Tongue

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

I don't care about the front wings or the aero if they give us active suspension and ground effect. It won't matter. Doubt you'd need DRS either as you'd not be as effected by it, plus it's actually be punching a hole in the air for you that you could drive into, unlike now. However, I'll believe it when I see it.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(06-06-2018, 08:17 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I don't care about the front wings or the aero if they give us active suspension and ground effect. It won't matter. Doubt you'd need DRS either as you'd not be as effected by it, plus it's actually be punching a hole in the air for you that you could drive into, unlike now. However, I'll believe it when I see it.

Have faith Jody and they will come  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes LotusLover's post

LotusLover I've been calling for active suspension and ground effect since 2009. They've been cheap readily available solutions to F1's current woes for years. Unrestrict the batteries, let drivers deploy ERS themselves and unlimited the fuel flow and let's go racing. Give them tyres they can really lean on (which is 18" multicomposite without inner belt) and we're there. Bring back tyres teams can dick about with pressures.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

(06-06-2018, 08:17 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I don't care about the front wings or the aero if they give us active suspension and ground effect. It won't matter. Doubt you'd need DRS either as you'd not be as effected by it, plus it's actually be punching a hole in the air for you that you could drive into, unlike now. However, I'll believe it when I see it.

Yes, if active suspension and a proper ground effects floor return then the aero guys will voluntarily simplify the wing aero. They won't want the drag penalty that comes with wings if they can get more downforce from GE.

I have a strong gut feeling GE is coming back especially now that that they have recognized the problems with wings and wake turbulence. If they reduce wing downforce then the only other place to get DF  is from under the floor. The return of active suspension makes me think GE is even more likely. Finally GE can be proven to be safe and controllable. Active suspension will finally put to rest all of the doomsayers who say GE is dangerous and repeat the fantasy that bumps cause the downforce to suddenly be lost and "let go".

Those critics don't understand that the old GE cars had rock hard stiff springs. There was almost no spring movement by 1981. If a 2018 F1 car had rock hard stiff springs they would also "let go" over the bumps. But they would "let go" because of no suspension movement not because of a sudden loss of downforce.
I remember in 1982 before Gilles Villeneuve had his fatal accident. He was interviewed by the local media in Toronto. He said that by 1982 the suspension in the GE cars had become so stiff, the cars were becoming unbearable because of the bumps. As the F1 engineers started to develop the venturi floors for more downforce the passive suspensions couldn't react fast enough to the bumps. The cars started to pitch uncontrollably (heave and squat) into a oscillating motion that some called "porpoising". The cars started to use stiffer springs as a means of combating the suspension porpoising. Those stiff springs also caused the cars to react harshly to bumps. The kerbs were even worse. Villeneuve had a massive crash at the 1981 British GP when his left rear wheel hit the old chicane before the old start finish line. His Ferrari bounced off the kerb and his slide took out several cars. You can find it on YouTube.  Gilles was a passenger. Active suspension would have prevented that from happening.

Keep the faith Jody. It's coming. I can sense it.
[+] 5 users Like Gordo Sixtytwo's post

Gordy I agree with pretty much everything you said. The combo of the two technologies basically negate the negatives of both. I also think talk of 18" wheels makes it more likely we'll see both active suspension and GE. I hope so. If that's what they give us then we'll see slippy cars that can go silly fast and follow each other very very closely. I'd approve of that, give us more fuel flow, bigger batteries with more deployable power and we're almost there.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post