Poll: Keep or Ditch The Monaco GP (Given the Parameters mentioned) - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
50.00%
50.00%
No
50.00%
50.00%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

The Battle For Hearts and Minds in F1

Given I'm clearly in the minority on Monaco, Can The Impossible Be Done?  Changing The Mind of an F1 Fan?

Here goes:

"The Monaco Grand Prix is the one race of the year that every driver dreams of winning. Like the Indy 500 or Le Mans, it stands alone, almost distinct from the sport from which it was born. A combination of precision driving, technical excellence and sheer bravery is required to win in Monte Carlo”  

F1 official site intro  -  (and Luck - Fog)

Don’t think this is in dispute

“Perhaps allowing drivers to use the DRS overtaking aid everywhere, or a second mandatory pit stop, or even changing the track layout, as long as they don't rob Monaco of its special challenge and best corners.”

Jolyon Palmer

And if we can ditch in favour of better circuits such as Turkey or change circuits such as Australia, Barcelona (will wait to see about France) Mexico? Sochi to make them more exciting, sort out the tyres, blah blah, aero, etc, etc, and any other decent suggestions

Also, read earlier, that the F2 race was very exciting, overtakes, crashes, on the limit driving, etc, but can't find the article again for quotes, but I maintain the track is "special" and we just need some tweaks, anyhoo

Given these parameters.  Can those saying “time to ditch the Monaco GP” change their stance?

Guess I’ll find out soon

Ps. tried to post on the Monaco thread, but couldn't do the poll

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 1 user Likes Foghorn Leghorn's post

Fog, I`m struggling on this one, should have a `fence sitter` option on your bloody poll Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(31-05-2018, 06:19 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Fog, I`m struggling on this one, should have a `fence sitter` option on your bloody poll Wink

Ahh -tried to edit, but can't seem to change the poll, but cheers for the suggestion, it's not like I think F1 fans are a belligerent, stubborn, pig headed bunch of sons of guns, was just curious if an actual change of mind was possible, it's not like I didn't allow for a lot of parameters to be considered, haha

but I do have a back up option for all the Monaco doomsayers, as it's here to stay regardless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3GM8pSZ-2I

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 1 user Likes Foghorn Leghorn's post

[quote="forzaferrari" pid='4605' dateline='1527787194']
Fog, I`m struggling on this one, should have a `fence sitter` option on your bloody poll Wink
[/quote]

Should have a 250cc Kart option.

[quote="Foghorn Leghorn" pid='4604' dateline='1527786430']
Given I'm clearly in the minority on Monaco, Can The Impossible Be Done?  Changing The Mind of an F1 Fan?

Here goes:

"The Monaco Grand Prix is the one race of the year that every driver dreams of winning. Like the Indy 500 or Le Mans, it stands alone, almost distinct from the sport from which it was born.2

"Given these parameters"

Hi Fog, "given these parameters" Sooo, you can change Monaco to provide a real overtaking opportunity, limitless use of DRS, guarantee a two stop race, this is the big one, promise to fix all (every one) the other tracks so as an overtake is possible, now would I change my mind? ok I'll admit you have given me some thing to think about......

Hmmm, can you guarantee it rains as well? Tongue

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(31-05-2018, 06:40 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  
(31-05-2018, 06:19 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Fog, I`m struggling on this one, should have a `fence sitter` option on your bloody poll Wink

Hmmm, can you guarantee it rains as well? Tongue

Yes Bernie suggested it a few years back, random sprinklers, haha Smile

But given people are not even voting yet, maybe F1 fans are a belligerent bunch of gits, haha, or perhaps I should take it that, I've at least given you lot something to think about, it was you who said after all, that some of your greatest memories are from Monaco, as are mine. To lose it would be every bit as bad as losing the British GP, or nothing happening at Bonneville, or the Isle of Man, History / Legacy, needs to count for something, it just needs tweaked IMO, not ditched. But hey this was about changing minds.

[+] 2 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

(31-05-2018, 06:07 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  Given I'm clearly in the minority on Monaco, Can The Impossible Be Done?  Changing The Mind of an F1 Fan?

Here goes:

"The Monaco Grand Prix is the one race of the year that every driver dreams of winning. Like the Indy 500 or Le Mans, it stands alone, almost distinct from the sport from which it was born. A combination of precision driving, technical excellence and sheer bravery is required to win in Monte Carlo”  

F1 official site intro  -  (and Luck - Fog)

Don’t think this is in dispute

“Perhaps allowing drivers to use the DRS overtaking aid everywhere, or a second mandatory pit stop, or even changing the track layout, as long as they don't rob Monaco of its special challenge and best corners.”

Jolyon Palmer

And if we can ditch in favour of better circuits such as Turkey or change circuits such as Australia, Barcelona (will wait to see about France) Mexico? Sochi to make them more exciting, sort out the tyres, blah blah, aero, etc, etc, and any other decent suggestions

Also, read earlier, that the F2 race was very exciting, overtakes, crashes, on the limit driving, etc, but can't find the article again for quotes, but I maintain the track is "special" and we just need some tweaks, anyhoo

Given these parameters.  Can those saying “time to ditch the Monaco GP” change their stance?

Guess I’ll find out soon

Ps. tried to post on the Monaco thread, but couldn't do the poll
I totally get where you are coming from, the problem is if you introduce special rules or circumstances for Monaco how long before people are saying okay if it can be done in Monaco why nowhere else.

First things first you will be happy because lets be honest the Monaco GP is here to stay it is going nowhere.

Secondly can you change my mind?  I am sorry no I want it off the calendar it is a boring procession with the only possible excitement of crashes or tactical errors deciding the race outside of qualifying position.  Sure it is possible for the back markers and even some midfield runners to be overtaken but once you get to the top 10 or so its all but impossible as demonstrated by Sebastian Vettels race long effort to get past a wounded Red Bull  (we should all be giving Forza a really hard time about that fact Smile )
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

[/quote]
if you introduce special rules or circumstances for Monaco how long before people are saying okay if it can be done in Monaco why nowhere else.

Secondly can you change my mind?  I am sorry no I want it off the calendar it is a boring procession with the only possible excitement of crashes or tactical errors deciding the race outside of qualifying position.  Sure it is possible for the back markers and even some midfield runners to be overtaken but once you get to the top 10 or so its all but impossible
[/quote]

Not special rules, track tweaks, been done everywhere, over the years, as for the second point, "not possible to get past more equal cars".  Isn't that the same everywhere in current formula

I maintain, that Monaco is "special" because it's different - the greatest of the great have only won here multiple times, Mr Monaco, Schumacher, Senna, Alonso, and 3 time winner Nico Rosberg, hahaha Smile

But to be honest I wasn't expecting too many to change their minds  Angel wishful thinking

[+] 3 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

(31-05-2018, 06:59 PM)NeilP Wrote:    (we should all be giving Forza a really hard time about that fact Smile )

...hey, leave me out of it....I get enough sh*t as it is without you encouraging everyone Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(31-05-2018, 07:37 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(31-05-2018, 06:59 PM)NeilP Wrote:    (we should all be giving Forza a really hard time about that fact Smile )

...hey, leave me out of it....I get enough sh*t as it is without you encouraging everyone Wink

Hahaha Tongue

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Assuming "no" = "ditch" then I voted no.

I admit I love to watch the drivers rag it around there during quali, but it is no place for cars with 1000bhp to race each other. The event came into being when F1 cars were not all that fast. Makes my blood run cold when I see these cars bimbling around at 50% of their ability. I know the drivers enjoy the challenge, but after quali is over there is no challenge.

Proper race track for me, every time.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post