Come on, let's fix Monaco!

Dear Reader,

Congratulations on your recent appointment as the Senior Consultant for the Rapid Optimisation and Transformation Upon Monaco (SCROTUM).

Following the widely criticised 2018 FIA Formula 1 Grand Prix, your first task is to come up with the blue-print for the required changes to the event in order that the same criticisms will not be levied against the 2019 event.

I look forward to your suggestions ( - both sensible and not!)

Price Albie

I know I’ve mentioned it once or twice before, but after a fleeting comment I made yesterday, I’ve been giving it some more thought….

In advance: Pirelli nominate 3 tyres, spread across all compounds.

Thursday: FP1 & 2 remain unchanged.

Saturday Morning: FP3 - Fastest lap determines the running order in all following sessions, fastest last.
Saturday Lunchtime: TT1 (Time Trial 1) - Each driver given 2 flying laps on the hardest compound tyre. The fastest of the two times is recorded. (To minimise dead-track time, the second driver is released for his out-lap once the first has begun his second flying lap.)

Sunday Lunchtime: TT2 - Each driver given 2 flying laps on the medium compound tyre. Fastest time added to Saturday’s ‘Hard’ time to create aggregate.
Sunday Afternoon: TT3 - 2 flying laps on the softest compound. Fastest of the two added to the aggregate time.

The winner is the driver with the lowest aggregate time. Full championship points are awarded.

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 3 users Like Purple-banana's post

I honestly dont know if Monaco can be fixed, when it was last suggested to change the track layout via reclaimed land (which was being reclaimed anyway) there was uproar from local residents. I think F1 must stay true to itself and not try to do something different with the format just to keep a race in Monaco.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(30-05-2018, 01:26 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I honestly dont know if Monaco can be fixed, when it was last suggested to change the track layout via reclaimed land (which was being reclaimed anyway) there was uproar from local residents. I think F1 must stay true to itself and not try to do something different with the format just to keep a race in Monaco.

Agree with this, sadly I am starting to think F1 has moved on & would be better off without Monaco.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(30-05-2018, 01:42 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  
(30-05-2018, 01:26 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I honestly dont know if Monaco can be fixed, when it was last suggested to change the track layout via reclaimed land (which was being reclaimed anyway) there was uproar from local residents. I think F1 must stay true to itself and not try to do something different with the format   just to keep a race in Monaco.

Agree with this, sadly I am starting to think F1 has moved on & would be better off without Monaco.

I don't disagree chaps - but let's face it, while there are yachts in the harbour and celebs queuing outside the ticket office, we're going to keep going to the principality.

Given the choice between processional races when our collective rain dances inevitably fail, or mixing up the layout/format, "mix it up" gets my vote without hesitation.

Plus, it's a win-win from my point of view; drivers get the challenge, the sport gets it's "jewel" (eugh) and the fans get to see proper ballsy driving on Saturday AND Sunday.

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 2 users Like Purple-banana's post

(30-05-2018, 01:50 PM)Purple-banana Wrote:  I don't disagree chaps - but let's face it, while there are yachts in the harbour and celebs queuing outside the ticket office, we're going to keep going to the principality.

Given the choice between processional races when our collective rain dances inevitably fail, or mixing up the layout/format, "mix it up" gets my vote without hesitation.

Plus, it's a win-win from my point of view; drivers get the challenge, the sport gets it's "jewel" (eugh) and the fans get to see proper ballsy driving on Saturday AND Sunday.

On your first point I fully agree, it is a spectacle, lots of rich and famous turn up because...well it`s MONACO therefore I also think it will continue, whether the racing improves or not that remains to be seen, but I doubt it.

Secondly I get what you are saying, honestly I do and yes I would still watch if they made them reverse around the circuit lol.

Thirdly ..Yep the drivers love the challenge of skimming/brushing the barriers (Max, if your reading this I said SKIMMING/BRUSHING the barriers not trying to fecking remove them) and I do enjoy watching them in fp and quali especially the on board shots, always did. One of my favourite race days in Monaco was Mansell chasing down Senna (think I said this before) ....not a chance in hell was Mansell getting past without a mistake from Senna but it was still exciting to watch....and thats what this sport is/should be about excitement....we dont need a million passes every other lap but we do need cars to be able to follow one another and we seen on Sunday even on such a slow track like Monaco it was impossible and watched on as cars trundled round in the 1:19`s and even 1:20`s....fix this then drivers can push and pressure the driver in front possibly into a mistake and then yes I think Monaco could be bearable once again. Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Like your effort's PB!

"Thursday: FP1 & 2 remain unchanged." That's all I ask for! Making FP3 a little more critical is good, but having a chat during qually I said that traffic added to the drama and excitement.

One has to ask, is it the track, or is it the cars. Same thing happened after Albert Park, which is an awesome track. Narrower cars, longer breaking distances and minimised air disturbance could be more interesting.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(30-05-2018, 03:29 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Like your effort's PB!

"Thursday: FP1 & 2 remain unchanged." That's all I ask for! Making FP3 a little more critical is good, but having a chat during qually I said that traffic added to the drama and excitement.

One has to ask, is it the track, or is it the cars. Same thing happened after Albert Park, which is an awesome track. Narrower cars, longer breaking distances and minimised air disturbance could be more interesting.

It's the track. I'd happily see it dropped. Taking Forzas idea on-board what about making it an "entertainment only" event which has no influence of the championships? Each team has an extra 0.5 million from the FIA to develop a "monaco special" go-cart and they race for the glory.

Would be more fun than watching 1000bhp cars driving at 30% of their capability.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(30-05-2018, 06:14 PM)morini Wrote:   Each team has an extra 0.5 million from the FIA to develop a "monaco special" go-cart and they race for the glory.
Nah bud, straight off the shelf 250 pro karts.....Dont want this thing up and running only to hear `Foul` cause somebody spotted the Ferrari kart with an extra set of Duracell`s under the seat Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOYjQpEO0RM

[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(30-05-2018, 06:22 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Nah bud, straight off the shelf 250 pro karts.....Dont want this thing up and running only to hear `Foul` cause somebody spotted the Ferrari kart with an extra set of Duracell`s under the seat Wink

But a "develop a super cart" competition would be ace (and in keeping with the spirit of F1). If it's off the shelf you may as well watch F2.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

"Taking Forzas idea on-board what about making it an "entertainment only" event which has no influence of the championships? Each team has an extra 0.5 million from the FIA to develop a "monaco special" go-cart and they race for the glory."

This would be brilliant.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post