Indy 500 (But F1 related)

Soooo... did anyone watch the Indy 500? The main reason I'm asking is because the new Indycar chassis was designed to make wheel to wheel racing easier. With less complex and wider front wings. Sound familiar? It should. The result? The exact opposite. I'm becoming more and more concerned that the engineers do not know what they're doing. Most of the seasoned Indy drivers said at the start of the season following another car is going to be harder, rubbish, said the engineers. The drivers were right. So when Lewis, Seb, Alonso, Danny and the Hulk all say F1 is going in the wrong direction, I believe them.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Didn't watch it Jody. Never been keen on cars going round in circles. Was it any good?

Ya I watched, didn't think I would, but felt hollow after Monaco (as always) so had to fill the hole. Watched it last year because Alonso was in it. The amount of overtakes and close racing was fantastic, very entertaining show: You quickly forget its just an oval track.

Yesterdays race was seriously lacking in the overtakes, and when commentators say "Pitlane is where positions are going to be lost and gained" you instantly knew the regs had gone in the wrong direction. That being said, it still wasn't bad, I find myself not caring about the track layout. It's really only the last 50 laps that are worth paying attention to, as thats when things start to happen.

It seems to be the case Jody. Really makes you wonder what simulations the designer and engineers run.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Was it any good Morini? In a word... no!

The regs have essentially reduced the downforce of the cars by 15 to 20% depending on who you believe, the idea being to make the wake smaller so cars can follow more closely. The exact argument being made in F1 right now. The issue being the wake the cars make has hardly reduced at all, the estimates vary around 3% on the lower end to 7% on the higher end.

So yeah, vastly less grip, and only slightly less turbulent air. The race saw a significant number of seasoned oval vets drop their cars in turbulent air. You could literally see the cars lose front grip and spin out of control following in another cars wake. Red Bull are right, the proposals for 2019 will lead to much less natural overtakes, and far more artificial overtakes via the rear wing.

(28-05-2018, 11:38 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Was it any good Morini? In a word... no!

The regs have essentially reduced the downforce of the cars by 15 to 20% depending on who you believe, the idea being to make the wake smaller so cars can follow more closely. The exact argument being made in F1 right now. The issue being the wake the cars make has hardly reduced at all, the estimates vary around 3% on the lower end to 7% on the higher end.

So yeah, vastly less grip, and only slightly less turbulent air. The race saw a significant number of seasoned oval vets drop their cars in turbulent air. You could literally see the cars lose front grip and spin out of control following in another cars wake. Red Bull are right, the proposals for 2019 will lead to much less natural overtakes, and far more artificial overtakes via the rear wing.

You know so many people complain about the lack of overtaking in F1 it is quite possibly the fans biggest complaint. Combine with that the rush for the engines to be more standardized and similar the result of that will be... yep, even less overtaking!!!

I do not profess to have any technical knowledge whatsoever but it seems pretty obvious to me IF more overtaking is the primary goal of Formula 1 then you have to loosen the regulations not tighten them, and that means aero and engine. You need diversity not commonality.  Formula 1 has always been about technology and pushing boundaries if we get away from that for the sake of 'Everyone needs to be given an equal chance to win' ideology it will in my eyes at least cease to be Formula 1
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(28-05-2018, 07:49 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Formula 1 has always been about technology and pushing boundaries if we get away from that for the sake of 'Everyone needs to be given an equal chance to win' ideology it will in my eyes at least cease to be Formula 1

Well said, I couldn't agree more.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

The thing is, MotoGP is the same for two wheel's, it's the pinnacle. Yet they are supplying a series which siding to the "equal chance"/"fair game" and it's producing one of the best motor racing shows we've seen in years.

Back to Indy, alot of seasoned fans were quite happy with what they saw in Sunday. They were saying it was how they 'membered Indy, it was reminiscent of Indy during it's glory days.

Maybe it's just F1 fans that were disappointed as we are so starved of natural overtakes now. Last years Indy gave us all a shot in the arm we needed, draft central, multiple cars wide. This year we didn't get that fix.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

MotoGP (no aero) = close racing

F1/Indy (tonnes of aero) = rubbish racing

How are they not getting it?

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 2 users Like Purple-banana's post

https://www.skysports.com/f1/live-blog

BREAKING FERNANDO ALONSO-MCLAREN NEWS.

McLaren Racing announces today that it will contest the 103rd Running of the Indianapolis 500, on Sunday 26 May 2019, with Fernando Alonso at the wheel.

“I’ve made clear for some time my desire to achieve the Triple Crown," says Alonso, who now has two legs completed after adding the Le Mans 24 Hours title in June to his earlier F1 success at Monaco.

"I had an incredible experience at Indianapolis in 2017 and I knew in my heart of hearts I had to go back if the opportunity was there. I’m especially glad to be returning with McLaren.

"This was always my first choice if the team decided to do it, so I’m delighted they’ve decided to go ahead. It’s a tough race and we’ll be up against the best, so it will be a huge challenge. But we’re racers and that’s why we race. One of the things I’m looking forward to most is seeing the fans again, who are absolutely fantastic.”

McLaren say more details around their Indy entry for next year will be released in due course.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Not massively surprised by the McLaren decision to enter the Indy 500 again with Alonso. I hope he wins it.