Is there something wrong with Max?

Morini to an extent I agree... except the same was said of Grosjean. Rosberg was always rapid, but he never learned race craft, was always clumsy. We are getting to the point very soon where I think we should be expecting Max to cut out these mistakes. He should have lost his little league defence tactics by now. I just think we might have to start considering he might not quite live up to his hype. He has time on his side, for sure, but he's in a Red Bull, and on a hefty wage packet that has him as the second or third best paid driver on the grid... at some point people will realise he's not delivering if this continues. I do think however, regardless of his long term prospects, something is not right with his head this season.

(26-05-2018, 08:29 PM)morini Wrote:  
(26-05-2018, 08:19 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Edit, fecking quotes lol.....

I would try to teach you how to do it Paps, but it'd be like teaching a brick how to swim. Smile

Pointless after two flapjacks anyway, I would forget it in minutes. Wink

Edit, FFS, it worked!!!! now how did I do it? Tongue

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

As for another very rapid driver with bags of natural talent who never learned... Montoya. The sport is literally littered with dozens of drivers who didn't quite make the final step and become the complete driver.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(26-05-2018, 08:32 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Morini to an extent I agree... except the same was said of Grosjean. Rosberg was always rapid, but he never learned race craft, was always clumsy. We are getting to the point very soon where I think we should be expecting Max to cut out these mistakes. He should have lost his little league defence tactics by now. I just think we might have to start considering he might not quite live up to his hype. He has time on his side, for sure, but he's in a Red Bull, and on a hefty wage packet that has him as the second or third best paid driver on the grid... at some point people will realise he's not delivering if this continues. I do think however, regardless of his long term prospects, something is not right with his head this season.

Groesjean looked fast in his Renault days, but I wouldn't ever have ever classified him as properly fast (i.e. Hamilton, Ricciardo, Verstappen fast). Plus he was erratic. I'm 100% with you you on Max defence tactics, he will have to learn to moderate that. I'm more forgiving of today's mistake though as, in my opinion, that could happen to anyone at Monaco. The secret is to learn from it and come back stronger.

Again, I'll refer to Hamilton's early F1 career (and don't forget he was older than Max with a fair bit more race experience). He was / is blisteringly fast and a joy to watch, but it took him many seasons to learn to play the percentage game. That comes with experience and you can't really short circuit it. Don't knock the kid too much, we need more like Vertappen in the sport and less like Erricsson / Stroll / Sirotkin.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(26-05-2018, 08:39 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Edit, FFS, it worked!!!! now how did I do it? Tongue

It was the extra flapjack.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Grosjean was actually talked of as a potential WDC. I personally never saw it, but plenty of others did. I mean he was brought back into the sport when many with his calamitous first stint would never have been given another chance. It might be hard for us to see now with the benefit of hindsight, but he was very, very quick in qualifying, and often in the race. Just pointing out that drivers don't always learn, and many actually crack under the spot light.

Can we at least agree something is not right with his head this season?
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(26-05-2018, 08:47 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Can we at least agree something is not right with his head this season?

Yes, I can agree on that. But I think a lot of that is down to the two alpha drivers scenario. And Dan is far more street wise than young Max at this point in their careers.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

I still think the bumper deal / contract might actually be part of his problem this year. It's a lot to put on such a young driver, I think it's caused him to crack under the weight.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(26-05-2018, 09:01 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I still think the bumper deal / contract might actually be part of his problem this year. It's a lot to put on such a young driver, I think it's caused him to crack under the weight.

I doubt it helps. Must be hard having all that cash at such a young age. How many cars and hookers can you buy before you get bored?

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(26-05-2018, 09:36 PM)morini Wrote:  
(26-05-2018, 09:01 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I still think the bumper deal / contract might actually be part of his problem this year. It's a lot to put on such a young driver, I think it's caused him to crack under the weight.

I doubt it helps. Must be hard having all that cash at such a young age. How many cars and hookers can you buy before you get bored?

Big Grin

Hahaha.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel