Mid Season Testing - Catalunya May 2018

Maybe a bit of an unnecessary thread, but what the hell.

I take it they will be testing on the thinner tread tyres?

Looks dry tomorrow, maybe some rain Wednesday. Might be a chance for Pirelli to do natural wet weather testing.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(14-05-2018, 12:35 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Maybe a bit of an unnecessary thread, but what the hell.

I take it they will be testing on the thinner tread tyres?

Looks dry tomorrow, maybe some rain Wednesday. Might be a chance for Pirelli to do natural wet weather testing.

I notice from the Sky site (no idea if its reliable) that Hamilton is testing. He hates testing, so that suggests to me he still isn't really comfortable with the car. I think most teams are letting the youngsters have a go?
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

McLaren running a mix, also one of I dont know how many teams running a pirelli tyre test.

#MCL33 Test
Day 1: @svandoorne
Day 2 @LandoNorris

@pirellisport Test
Day 1 @LandoNorris/@OliverTurvey
Day 2 @svandoorne

According to Toto Hamilton requested to do the test. Apparently he thought he was joking at first, so I guess Hamilton has finally realised he needs to do his homework sometimes.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

https://www.f1today.net/en/live/f1/23859...-barcelona

In case anyone wants to follow some live updates from the track. Nicest timing board I can find also.

[Image: DdOiYsbWAAAqY0L.jpg]
[Image: DdOhqymWkAAbpIJ.jpg]

Alot of fuss over these light additions..........Hope they have tested them in wet spray conditions.

[Image: DdOrL2yXcAAI_pI.jpg]
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/status...77/photo/1

Werrrlll, I did not expect this!!

Yeah just seen the vortex generators... BUT... will someone please take a close up of the Merc undercut to the rear and the leading floor area to the diffuser... PLEASE!!! From the glance shots I've seen it looks very, very different... some might even suggest Ferrarieasque.

Hamilton did a 1:18.5 at the end of a 20 lap stint apparently on the Super hard tyres. That is really interesting, virtually match Grosjean on a low fuel run when he was using the Hyper Softs. I know it doesn't really mean anything these times, but I wouldn't have thought that time was possible on those tyres.

Not that it means Jackshit but...

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen ended the first day of the Barcelona in-season Formula 1 test on top, pipping Renault’s Carlos Sainz by 0.034s.
Verstappen used supersoft Pirelli tyres to post his best time of 1m17.528s early in the final hour of running, relegating Sainz to second.

Sainz used hypersofts to set his time with just under two hours remaining, initially knocking Sebastian Vettel off top spot before Verstappen jumped both of them.

Vettel ended up third fastest and 0.131s off the pace, with Romain Grosjean’s pacesetting time from the morning, set on hypersofts, good enough to hold onto fourth fastest.

Force India driver Nicholas Latifi improved several times in the final hour using hypersofts to secure fifth, bumping Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton to sixth after the Spanish GP winner did not improve on his morning time set on the soft Pirellis.

McLaren’s Stoffel Vandoorne used supersofts for his best time in the final hour to go seventh.

Antonio Giovinazzi made a series of incremental improvements during the afternoon, ending up in eighth place, 2.165s down in his Sauber.

Williams debutant Oliver Rowland improved on his morning time late on with a 1m20.009s set on supersofts, and completed well over 100 laps.

McLaren and Force India both had second cars running for Pirelli testing, with Lando Norris fastest of the tyre testers in 10th place despite a brief trip through the gravel this morning before handing over to Oliver Turvey for the afternoon.

George Russell was 11th in the Force India Pirelli test car, ahead of Sean Gelael in the Toro Rosso and Turvey.

A late red flag, caused by Giovinazzi, interrupted the running with just over 10 minutes to go, but the session swiftly resumed.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

Mercedes Spain test diffuser. More aggressive under channels either side of the central section? 
[Image: 32464523_1223941634408949_53546251233724...e=5B8E3E84]
or just the angle of the pictures.

Ferraris for example picture taken from the front.
[Image: Ferrari-Formel-1-GP-Spanien-Barcelona-10...162491.jpg]

As I've said I want to see the undercut and floor area in front of the diffuser as well. It looks new to me from the few images I've seen... and yeah, that diffuser is more aggressively curved. It's here and under the floor where Mercedes are clearly working.