Drivers who will lose their seats next year

Hmmm it could well be the same for Norris as it is SVD remember SVD absolutely blitzed eberyone in GP2 and was the hottest property out there. Be careful when up against a very tough teamate in Alonso. God i would love to see him move to Merc with Lewis what a battle that would be oh and Norris can race with SVD bye Bottas

I agree with you over Vandorne's reputation prior to F1. I expected big things of him, and his debut race certainly seemed to suggest he had what it takes. However, for some reason it's not working. As for Alonso at Merc...? Never happen, but I'd sell a kidney to see it happen.

I was taking a look back at Vandorne's career, and tbh he took a long time getting into GP2. Plus his first season he was beaten by Jolyon Palmer... whoops, joking, joking. But in all seriousness that first GP2 season wasn't filled with quality and hus Second season saw hardly any other driver compete in every round. Not trying to take away from his utter dominance that year, and just how fantastic some of his drives were, I think his Spa drive was from 2015 and not 2014 any way.

Just that maybe, just maybe we should consider the possibility that he flattered to deceive. He's as old as Palmer too, and I'd suggest he needs to start showing some form soon otherwise he'll be out on his ear. As a marker, Norris has made it to F2 (GP2 equivalent) four years earlier than Vandorne did, and with a more impressive track record up until this point.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Formula 1 is supposed to represent the best 20 drivers in the world. What is wrong, then? Not only have there been some very uninspiring drivers recently, but this year there's several drivers you would hardly consider top 50 in the world.

Alonso, the two Mercedes, Red Bull, Renualt, Force India and Ferrari drivers probably are all top 20 materialo (but Kimi is on the way out), I'd add Leclerc as well, maybe possibly Magnussen and Gasly, but there's at least 4 drivers out there that aren't anywhere near the top 20.

In the 90s, even the midfielders like Gianni Morbidelli, Pierluigi Martini, Derek Warwick, Johnny Herbert, Mika Salo Jos Verstappen, Luca Badoer, Mark Blundell, Christian Fittipaldi, Erik Comas, etc were some of the best drivers in the world and were just marginally off world champion drivers like Damon Hill, Mika Hakkinen, though not quite up to Senna and Schumacher standards. It's hard to look at those seasons and think about drivers outside of F1 who were any better. Alessandro Zanardi proved that by dominating Indycar, and then not scoring a point in 1999 in a Williams.

Now, half the Indy or Formula E grid would be better than some of the current midfielders and backmarkers. We've had some really bad ones recently, too, Gutierrez, Palmer, Red Bull destroyed Kvyat
[+] 2 users Like BrendanSylvester's post

I agree Brendon. The two Williams drivers have no right to be on the F1 grid in my opinion. Neither does Ericsson, he's been given more than enough opportunities, and when you see Giovinazzi circulating today in the Sauber in Spain and doing a damn fine job, you wonder why Sauber didn't take the extra Ferrari cash and run.

As to other drivers on the cusp... I think I'll reserve judgement on Hartley until the end of the season, and I'm not quite ready to condemn Vandorne just yet, but both need to drastically improve. If they don't then all the drivers mentioned should expect to be booted out of the sport at the end of the season.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/grosj...s-1040686/

Not convinced myself.

"Haas F1 boss Gunther Steiner says that Romain Grosjean's future at the team has not been threatened by incidents in the last two races.
Grosjean crashed behind the safety car when well placed in Azerbaijan, and then triggered a collision with Nico Hulkenberg and Pierre Gasly when he spun in front of the pack in Spain.
That earned him an expensive three-place grid penalty for Monaco.
Steiner, however, insists that there has been no internal debate about Grosjean's future.
"We didn't even speak about it," said Steiner. "When somebody has two bad races there's no point to start rumours, or to start to do things about it."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

No, whats threatened his future is his past two years and this year with Haas.

Maybe they don't even speak out about it, because they know he's on his way out.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

He was dreadful last year too as Hesh has pointed out. Christ, he whinges more about his car than Alonso do the Honda engine. He has been out driven by Kevin Magnussen over their time as drivers together, and the gap seems to be getting even wider this season. Grosjean's seat has to be under threat. Were you Haas you'd be mad not to be looking at options.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Scuderia Toro Rosso driver Brendon Hartley has moved to quash speculation that he is at risk of losing his seat, describing himself as "more than capable" of staying in the job.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(24-05-2018, 09:26 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Scuderia Toro Rosso driver Brendon Hartley has moved to quash speculation that he is at risk of losing his seat, describing himself as "more than capable" of staying in the job.

I think after qualifying today where Gasly gets through to Q3, and Hartley never really looked like getting out of Q1 his seat has to be under threat. If you were TR / RBR surely you'd be looking at who else might be available. Those Wehrlein rumours don't sound so stupid to me anymore.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(26-05-2018, 07:30 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I think after qualifying today where Gasly gets through to Q3, and Hartley never really looked like getting out of Q1 his seat has to be under threat. If you were TR / RBR surely you'd be looking at who else might be available. Those Wehrlein rumours don't sound so stupid to me anymore.

I think you are being a bit harsh on Hartley Hare there Jody, he was having a good weekend and fell foul of Monaco traffic in qualy. His performance over the weekend as a whole was pretty sound in my opinion.

<I threw in a pipkins reference for those of a particular age> Am I the only one who thinks of that when Hartley gets mentioned?
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post