Oil Burning

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135756...n-loophole

Soooo... More rules clarification over oil burning. The FIA say it's a pre-emptive strike, but they pull apart Ferrari's oil routing systems, and then we get a highly specific ruling on it? Coincidental?

I'm loosing track of oil rules...

So if this is aimed at Ferrari, do we see the loss of their Q2/3 performance boost? or does it mean they can/will only use it in Q3?

Or is this the final loophole closed for any fuel burning for performance gain?

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.

It'll close any oil burning at all. The fact it talks about auxiliary or secondary fuel tanks specifically, means it's directed at Ferrari, why? They're the only engine manufacturer with two oil tanks. I'm not sure of the benefit it produces, but they wouldn't be doing it, if it didn't provide a boost. The more troublesome one for Ferrari potentially is if they are drawing more than 4 joules from there batteries for other functions including rear wing blowing etc. If they are and that gets cut, well, they'll struggle I think.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce...e-1040317/

"The ongoing debate over oil consumption in Formula 1 has taken a further twist with a clarification request sent by Mercedes to the FIA.
When a team or engine supplier asks questions to the FIA, it usually either believes that a rival has already gained an advantage, or it has spotted a potential loophole and wants it to be addressed in public before anyone follows that route.
In this case, Mercedes told the FIA that it was happy for any feedback to be "circulated to all power unit manufacturers."
Its HPP division recently wrote to the governing body asking whether oil used "in the pressure charging (turbocharger) system" has to comply with Article 20 of the technical regulations, the section which covers the definition, properties and composition of oil.
"Article 20 also confirms that "no competitor may use more than one oil in a given engine during an event".
Mercedes also asked whether turbo system oil has to be considered as part of the overall 0.6 litres/100kms oil consumption limit that was introduced to stop teams using oil for power boosting purposes."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

#ferrariinnovation #italiancheatingbastards Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

That was a pretty big, blatant loophole. One that I think wasn't being exploited, especially since the Baku directive. Maybe Mercedes were looking for these loopholes to ensure Ferrari doesn't regain their power advantage. Speed trap figures certainly suggest Ferrari have been killed by these new oil burning directives. In all the first four races, multiple Ferrari engines were top of speed traps, in Spain, they were middle. I guess we wont truly know till Canada, but there will certainly be indications in Monaco despite its characteristics.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Holy crap that's not so much a loophole as a loop chasm!!! Crater maybe. It never even occured to me that oil "overflow" from the turbo systems could be re-routed. However, as Hesh says the FIA gave very, very strict instructions over oil burning in Baku, and I'd be surprised if any oil burning was going on post Baku, the directive was clear, and breaching it, or attempting to circumnavigate it like this would definitely bring down the FIAs wrath.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post