Is Leclerc doing enough?

I've been most impressed by his car and garage setup mentality. At the start of the season he was at spin city, he seemed to come in favouring the oversteer setup, and that doesn't work with this generation of cars. He learnt coming into the European leg, stating he had altered the car setup to understeer and then the results started to pour in.

Later in the season, there were numerous times during practice, he was on the radio to his engineer, identifying issues very early on, and required setup direction changes. All done in a controlled professional manner.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Indeed Hesh, the conversation he had in Russia when the car was a bit of a pig on Friday, reminded me of Hamilton in Canada 2007, when the McLaren wasn't right and they both just worked through the issues with their engineers and got thing pointing in the right direction and just brought the prerformance of the car out, if anything Leclerc is possibly more advanced in that regard than Hamilton was, but Hamilton probably started with more raw speed. Right now of the youngsters in the Sport I'd go Verstappen, Leclerc, Ocon, Norris, Gasly, Giovinazzi and then Russell... Russell has impressed me... but I don't know, there's something not quite there for me yet. Going to be fun watching these guys over the next few years to see if any of them mature into the real deal, I think Verstappen is there and Ocon and Leclerc are right on the cusp, the others have to prove themselves all over again.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/140690...g-at-first

2019 Ferrari driver found F1 'intimidating' at first with Sauber.

Charles Leclerc says he found Formula 1 "intimidating" at first as he adapted to dealing with more people than he had been used to in his junior career.

Leclerc did not score a point at any of the opening three rounds of the season as Sauber struggled towards the rear of the field, but he broke his duck with a sixth-place finish in Azerbaijan in April and later recorded five points finishes at the final seven races.

That form was enough to persuade Ferrari to hand him a race seat for 2019, but Leclerc admitted he found the step up to F1 tough to begin with.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Full story > GP Fans.

'Make Leclerc Ferrari team leader' - Italian Media.

Italian media have called on Ferrari to make Charles Leclerc the team's lead driver, with Mercedes streaking clear in both championships after three races. Sebastian Vettel has been given "priority" for the 2019 season, which was in clear evidence at the Chinese Grand Prix.

"It would be better if Ferrari finally understood that they have hired the right driver and it is Charles Leclerc.
"Maranello should take the captain's armband from Vettel and give it to Leclerc."

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(15-04-2019, 01:06 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Italian media have called on Ferrari to make Charles Leclerc the team's lead driver, with Mercedes streaking clear in both championships after three races. Sebastian Vettel has been given "priority" for the 2019 season, which was in clear evidence at the Chinese Grand Prix.

You see this is what I think is intrinsically wrong with the Ferrari approach, I don't want Leclerc to be the "team leader" that's just the same bollocks going the other way. No sorry, this is why I don't think Ferrari are real racers anymore, they don't want to let people race, and it has seeped through to their fans and the Italian media. Just let Seb and Leclerc sort it out on track, like real racers do. Just such a depressing state of affairs, and Enzo must be turning in his grave, this is not his Ferrari.

Hi Jody, Forza posted yesterday that 71% (think that's right from memory) of the tifosi wanted Ferrari to let them race/fight, so I think most Ferrari fans feel the same way, only posted as I thought most F1 fans would like to see them fight also, for the record I disagree with the opinion that Ferrari are not racers, to me they have always gone about racing this way (clear 1 & 2) its the Ferrari way, in my view of course.

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

I dont think any of us have any cause for alarm, It was the Italian media who called for Seb to be replaced by CLC as "team`s lead driver"....thankfully the Italian media have got sweet f.a to do with running the the most prestigious & victorious team in the sport Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(15-04-2019, 09:05 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  for the record I disagree with the opinion that Ferrari are not racers, to me they have always gone about racing this way (clear 1 & 2) its the Ferrari way, in my view of course.

Yeah, and that's fine Papa, you're entitled to your opinion and I respect it, I've said why I think they're not real racers, and part of that is that they have a clear 1 & 2, it wasn't always like like for Ferrari though.

But back to Leclerc, I'm really impressed with the young lad, he's showing he's more than capable of becoming a multiple WDC, he's mightily impressive and for me he's already shown Ferrari were right to drop Kimi for him. Inspired decision, the question is how long will they be able to hold him back and keep him happy? I still think Vettel is the better bet over the whole season, but Leclerc is not going to be far behind.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Leclerc’s mental coaching revealed angry side. (Full story Planet F1)

“Charles scored 24 during the training,” Ceccarelli revealed. (Out of 25)

“Out of about a thousand drivers we have examined over the years, only two or three have succeeded.”

However, during the training, it also revealed a tendency for Leclerc to get angry and lose energy as a result. (An F1 driver having a hissy fit? who would believe it!)

A trait we have seen recently with Leclerc’s radio messages in Singapore and Russia where the dynamic with team-mate Sebastian Vettel came under scrutiny.

“We noticed it too,” Ceccarelli added. “In every test he faced, he wanted to win. And when he couldn’t, he got angry.  (Trait of a winner, like this)

“The perfect driver who is calm but has a killer instinct. Charles had to become calmer. And he trained a lot to improve. The key is self-analysis, the ability to understand and admit one’s mistakes, to overcome them.”

But the Leclerc that Ceccarelli sees now having worked with him from a young age reminds of a certain iconic World Champion.

“Out of the car he is a humble and grateful guy and a ruthless driver on the track,” Ceccarelli said >

“To me in this he remembers Ayrton Senna.”

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Several sites claiming CLC has signed a 5 year contract with Ferrari and a salary of 9 mil the first year with that figure tripling by the 5th season.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post