Blue Flags

(17-09-2018, 02:14 PM)Barry Malawi Wrote:  Wouldn't a simple rule change to say you're not allowed to overtake if you have blue flags waving at you do the trick?  That way the leading car in the slower car scrap wouldn't have to worry about giving away a place by moving over to let the lapping car through.  Once the lapping car is clear and the blue flags are put away racing can continue as before.

If the second slower car does overtake he should have to give the position back or suffer a penalty, as they do when they cut corners etc.

Sounds plausible to me?
[+] 1 user Likes LotusLover's post

(17-09-2018, 02:14 PM)Barry Malawi Wrote:  Wouldn't a simple rule change to say you're not allowed to overtake if you have blue flags waving at you do the trick?  That way the leading car in the slower car scrap wouldn't have to worry about giving away a place by moving over to let the lapping car through.  Once the lapping car is clear and the blue flags are put away racing can continue as before.

If the second slower car does overtake he should have to give the position back or suffer a penalty, as they do when they cut corners etc.

Fire off an email to the FIA Barry, looks like you have nailed it!   Beer

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

I actually can't see a problem with that. I might also add if drivers are fighting then both cars should receive the blue flags, not just the rear car. I think additions like those suggested could help. Blue flags will never be perfect, but they are the least bad option.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Well I'm here!
Big Grin

It took a couple of fly bys, luckily without dropping bombs or doing a strafing run.
Was about to do that yesterday with depleted Uranium shells and a couple of 1000lbers at the battleground with that prick that was moaning about people moaning about races being boring!
Angry

I initially slated Bottas for his moaning about blue flags.
I now withdraw that comment.

To a certain extent I can understand it, not just Bottas on Sunday but more so Hamilton and Verstappen, and it has its place in racing both good and bad. I fully agree that you need to close and pass effectively and not just expect the back markers to get out of the way because if they are fighting for position with someone, it screws their lap. It obviously screws the other drivers lap being fought with as well but that depends on where on the circuit it happens.
Hulkenberg was a lap behind. He wasnt directly behind anyone fighting for position, just pumping in good solid laps.
My point is this, Hulkenberg was shown both types of blue flag, electronic board on circuit and blue waved by marshals and more than 3 times!
For those that have it recorded either Sky or Channel 4, get to lap 50 onwards and review the footage from Bottas on board up to lap 54.
I know 5 long laps, you might fall asleep, I nodded off, mind you my kids call them 'senior moments'.
They arent at the end of the pit lane either.
I can't ID where this is happening 100% because they bounce so must these days from one view to the next and for some stupid reason show the crowd doing 'hand love hearts'.....
Sorry almost threw up.....
Do they, the drivers, react and move over when they are shown, if thats the case then Hamilton is absolutely correct about how difficult they were to be seen or when it only appears on their dash/PS4/Xboxone steering wheel?
[+] 5 users Like A10Tankbuster's post

(18-09-2018, 08:38 AM)A10Tankbuster Wrote:  Well I'm here!
Big Grin

It took a couple of fly bys, luckily without dropping bombs or doing a strafing run.
Was about to that yesterday with diplited Uranium shells and a coupl of 1000lbers at the battleground with that prick that was moaning about people moaning about races being boring!
Angry

I initially slated Bottas for his moaning about blue flags.
I now withdraw that comment.

To a certain extent I can understand it, not just Bottas on Sunday but more so Hamilton and Verstappen, and it has its place in racing both good and bad. I fully agree that you need to close and pass effectively and not just expect the back markers to get out of the way because if they are fighting for position it screws their lap. It obviously screws the other drivers lap being fought with as well but that depends on where on the circuit it happens.
Hulkenberg was a lap behind. He wasnt directly behind anyone fighting for position, just pumping in good solid laps.
My point is this, Hulkenberg was shown both types of blue flag, electronic board on circuit and blue waved by marshals and more than 3 times!
For those that have it recorded either Sky or Channel 4, get to lap 50 onwards and review the footage from Bottas on board up to lap 54.
I know 5 long laps, you might fall asleep, I nodded off, mind you my kids call them 'senior moments'.
They arent at the end of the pit lane either.
I can't ID where this is happening 100% because they bounce so must these days from one view to the next and for some stupid reason show the crowd doing 'hand love hearts'.....
Sorry almost threw up.....
Do they, the drivers, react and move over when they are shown, if thats the case then Hamilton is absolutely correct about how difficult they were to be seen or when it only appears on their dash/PS4/Xboxone steering wheel?

Welcome A10, good to see you in here!! 

Blue flags is quite a debatable subject, luckily for us :Smiler Malwai had a great idea, although there must be a reason the bigwigs haven't implemented it (too easy probably) 

Welcome onboard buddy
[+] 4 users Like LotusLover's post

Welcome A10, good to see someone else from the sky boards sign up.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Welcome A10, good to see a new face onboard, especially one who can articulate an opinion, as well as understand the opinions of others... unlike the chap you are mentioning who sent me a wonderful PM after finding me on Facebook... which he thought was some triumph of herculean detective work... I use my actual bloody name for Christ's sake...

Any way, I think we all know instinctively there is something wrong with the blue flag situation. We probably all think to varying degrees different things are wrong with the current blue flag situation... and thus we all have quite different solutions to what we all perceive as the blue flag problem.

I don't know about anyone else, but I actually find it a really interesting debate, and one that has certainly broadened my horizons, while also helping me better understand where everyone else is coming from, in terms of what they think F1 is and what they want F1 to be. It's almost like the blue flag situation is the Rosetta Stone of F1 that allows us all to understand each other better...

For the record I've just got back from the dentist's after a root canal so I'm feeling quite philosophical... or is it stoned? Can never quite tell the difference.

Wink
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

For the record I've just got back from the dentist's after a root canal so I'm feeling quite philosophical... or is it stoned? Can never quite tell the difference.

Neither can we Smile
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(18-09-2018, 12:45 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Neither can we Smile

LOL Big Grin 

I think that a fast driver should reasonably expect a slower one to let him through without delay, if that driver is lapping clear of other cars, but I also think the fast drivers should take into consideration the fact that slower cars may be desperate for points and their little scrap is very important to them.  They are fighting for crumbs as it is and every point is valuable to lesser teams.

Welcome to the forum A10!

If you think nobody cares about you, try skipping a mortgage payment.

(18-09-2018, 12:27 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I'm feeling quite philosophical... or is it stoned? Can never quite tell the difference. 

I can help with this.   Big Grin 

Welcome A10.   Cool

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post