Blue Flags

Hi all, Just a note on blue flags, in my view, before they were introduced there was a lot more niggle, & I loved it, drivers would fall out over the seasons & remember who had been fair (in their view) & who had not, this would be great if your driver was the one who got past a certain driver & bloody infuriating if it was your driver being blocked, it worked both ways some would jump out the way others would be completely bloody minded, what entertainment! Senna/Mansell would just force their way through others were less aggressive/confident, marvelous! ban the blue flags PLEASE! rant over Haha. Wink

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(09-04-2018, 12:42 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Hi all, Just a note on blue flags, in my view...

Just to play devil's advocate, I have done a fair amount of motorsport marshalling in my time, and whilst F1 is supposedly the pinnacle, there are a number of lower categories where the blue flag is a very helpful aid to drivers, both passing and being passed - particularly multi-class events or events where there is a broad scope of performance, confidence and ability.

<broken record> If they sorted out the aero so cars could actually follow each other, there'd be less reliance on blue-flags as a car quick enough to lap another during a race should be quick enough to skittle past within a few corners </broken record>

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 2 users Like Purple-banana's post

My thoughts on the blue flag are very similar to Purple-banana's thoughts. One of the reasons blue flags were brought into Motorsport was for multi-class races, and it eventually got brought across to single formula events because of deliberate collusion and moving speed bumps. It still seems to happen at times, Alonso has been a swine to Vettel a few times where I swear he's been on the limit of what is acceptable under blue flags. Should it be allowed? Should say Ferrari be allowed to deliberately drop Kimi down through the field to hold Lewis up so Seb could get on his tail pipe? It is a team sport after all? Me personally? Given how utterly clumsy and crap some of F1's current driver's are I think we still need blue flags.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Hi Jody, PB, what can I say maybe I like a bit of niggle! wont change my view but I appreciate you have yours.

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(09-04-2018, 04:50 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Hi Jody, PB, what can I say maybe I like a bit of niggle! wont change my view but I appreciate you have yours.

Im with you Paps, get rid of them and let the drivers do the work

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(09-04-2018, 04:50 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Hi Jody, PB, what can I say maybe I like a bit of niggle! wont change my view but I appreciate you have yours.

Don't worry Papa you are not alone, this move over or get out of the way is making the race even more of a procession!! Let the racers have the intelligence and race craft to get past, I know there would be incidents where maybe a leader loses out or even retires but hey it all adds to the spectacle. Always hated blue flags since they were introduced. REMOVE THEM BLOODY FLAGS LOL Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like LotusLover's post

I'm not totally opposed to dropping blue flags entirely, or changing how say DRS works behind back markers. One suggest I heard last season was that lead drivers would get to use DRS behind back markers from say 3 seconds back or some other amendment, and drop the the blue flags completely. I've never been totally happy with blue flags in F1, and I saw them more as a necessary evil to stop unsportsman like conduct which was going on. It has certainly swung to far the other way.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

100% with you Paps, despite the glaringly obvious issues with overtaking, no blue flags would give us much more excitement, and much more to get the blood boiling, can you imagine if the leaders had to get past on merit against Kmag or Alonso every time for that matter, it would also make the race for the lead much better as it would allow 2nd or third placed driver to catch up and give us more of multiple passes, such as what Lewis managed, though I think the DRS was a bit much there

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 2 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

(09-04-2018, 05:31 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I'm not totally opposed to dropping blue flags entirely, or changing how say DRS works behind back markers. One suggest I heard last season was that lead drivers would get to use DRS behind back markers from say 3 seconds back or some other amendment, and drop the the blue flags completely. I've never been totally happy with blue flags in F1, and I saw them more as a necessary evil to stop unsportsman like conduct which was going on. It has certainly swung to far the other way.

I'm mostly for banning them, but I do have some concerns about it. There are quite a few circuits where it will cause massive problems and the fast guys will simply not be able to get through regardless of what they do. When lack of blue flags starts influencing race results because the circuits prevent overtaking then that is farcical. Plus the cars themselves are their own worse enemy with the current aero regs (some being worse than others).
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

According to Crofty the blue flags are one of the things they are trying to change for 2021, shame its not sooner.