F1 "Future Vision" plans

The track is just way, way too narrow for any over taking. They can put all the banking in they like, but it won't work. This'll be another race decided on Saturday methinks.

F1 teams no longer allowed to hide cars in testing.

Formula 1 teams will not be allowed to hide their cars from fans and rival teams during winter testing, following a rule change agreed by the FIA.

Although F1’s regulations force teams to keep cars on display at grand prix weekends, there have previously been no such restrictions in testing.

That means teams, eager to keep their tech developments secret from rivals, have put covers on car parts or kept them completely hidden behind screens during the pre-season build-up.
But at a meeting of the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council, it was agreed that a rule change be introduced that prevents teams from hiding their cars.

A statement from the governing body said that the FIA had approved: “Wording to prevent teams from covering their cars during winter testing, in order to make these events more appealing to the media and fans.”

Other changes approved by the FIA including rules regarding the sampling and testing of fuel at events to ensure they comply with reference declarations.

The FIA has also confirmed the appointment of three standard suppliers from 2021. BBS will provide wheel rims, Magneti Marelli will deliver fuel primer pumps and Bosch will supply the high pressure fuel pump and piping.

The new rules mean that the same restrictions team have at F1 events will be in place during the time of track running at the tests.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Formula 1 drivers may use one extra MGU-K next season to help cope with the record 22-race schedule now the allocation has been formally increased by the FIA.

A physical chequered flag, not an electronic panel, will be the definitive signal for the end of Formula 1 races again in the future.

Formula 1 has changed its controversial weighbridge rules for 2020 on the back of complaints about penalties that were handed out this year.
Following discussions between teams and the FIA, it was agreed that the rules needed modifying.
Now, with approval by the World Motor Sport Council, more freedom will be given to the stewards from 2020 to decide on the sanction.
The rules now state that if a driver misses the weighbridge and his car is worked on then the matter will simply "be referred to the stewards," who will then be able to decide what punishment is given.

Vietnam Grand Prix organisers have added an extra corner to their new Formula 1 circuit design in a bid to further improve safety, as work pushes on at the venue ahead of its first race next year.
The tweak – in the final section of the Hanoi city track – will lift the total number of corners to 23 and increases the track length from the original 5.565km length to 5.607km.

Renault "exasperated" by rivals voting to keep "stupid" Q2 rule. (Motorsport)

Renault team boss Cyril Abiteboul says he's "exasperated" by fellow Formula 1 teams' refusal to abolish the rule that sees the second qualifying segment dictate the choice of tyre for the race start.

The top three teams have had such a pace advantage this year that their drivers routinely qualified on medium tyres, often leaving just the four drivers starting in sixth to 10th places on softs, while while those behind with a free choice almost always went for mediums or hards.

“It was agreed in the Strategy Group, everyone agreed [to bin it]. Then when it comes to a vote, all the arrangements seemed to come back, and frankly I’m exasperated by that.

“There was a lobby from the top teams and their junior teams to stop a change, because it’s a regulation that was engineered by the top teams to protect them. I don’t think they need it, but it’s an extra protection.

“It’s also something that’s helping teams that are customers or are affiliated to the top teams, and the ones that are squeezed are what I call the 'middle class', it’s us and McLaren in most cases.

I have always thought this rule stupid. if you want close racing let teams be free to choose their strategy after all that is what you are so desperately to get!
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

"Ferrari would veto Wolff becoming Formula 1 boss"

Ferrari would use their veto power as a “last resort” to stop Mercedes boss Toto Wolff becoming the new Formula 1 chief in future.

Wolff has been linked with the top job in Formula 1 and his future is a factor in what Lewis Hamilton decides to do from 2021 and beyond.

“Our position is if Mattia Binotto was the candidate to replace Chase, the rest of the paddock would not be too happy.

“Our veto is the last resort tool. Should we be confronted with that [Wolff taking over from Carey] we would explain our position quite clearly to the folks at Liberty.”

But, Ferrari would not allow Wolff to take the new role if he was interested in it as chief executive Louis Camilleri feels it would be a conflict of interest.

“Anybody who has been an active and important player in a certain team within the last years to take on the responsibility at F1 would create a conflict of interest,” Camilleri revealed in Ferrari’s end-of-season debrief at Maranello.

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Ferrari need to wake up, Wolff leaving Mercedes would be great news for them. For starters it destabilizes their biggest competitors, and you can bet your bottom dollar he wouldn't be favouring Mercedes because everyone would be watching him like a hawk.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

The 2020 F1 Testing schedule at Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona.

February 19-21.

February 26-28.

(06-01-2020, 12:56 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  The 2020 F1 Testing schedule at Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona.

February 19-21.

February 26-28.

Ugh  Sick

Testing. That time of year when we need to endure interminable bullshit, written and spoken. Wish the FIA would ban it myself, or make it completely closed to the public and media. I'll be waiting until the season starts before reading or listening to anyone's commentary on the testing days.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(06-01-2020, 08:01 PM)morini Wrote:  Ugh  Sick

Testing. That time of year when we need to endure interminable bullshit, written and spoken. Wish the FIA would ban it myself, or make it completely closed to the public and media. I'll be waiting until the season starts before reading or listening to anyone's commentary on the testing days.

Fecking hell Morini, we are only 6 days into the new year and you have already selected `grumpy old git` mode  Tongue

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post