Hamilton and Vettel to switch in 2019?

When push comes to shove, I don't think his heart is in it anymore. We saw rumours that he was contemplating retirement during the summer break last year in the midst of the Mercedes/Ferrari, Hamilton/Vettel battle we had been begging for, for 7 years. The pendulum swung back into the silver corner and the rumours went away.

Now it's looking like he might have even more of a fight on his hands than he did last year (for the first half of the season anyway!!) and he just doesn't seem interested or particularly motivated to turn it around.

I see it going one of two ways - He (& Merc) will bounce back in spectacular form and run away with it, or this will be his final season. Whether he fights to the end or stays in his funk, I can't see him sticking around unless he grabs WDC #5, not after the dominance he has enjoyed over the last 4 years

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 1 user Likes Purple-banana's post

(09-05-2018, 12:00 PM)Purple-banana Wrote:  When push comes to shove, I don't think his heart is in it anymore. We saw rumours that he was contemplating retirement during the summer break last year in the midst of the Mercedes/Ferrari, Hamilton/Vettel battle we had been begging for, for 7 years. The pendulum swung back into the silver corner and the rumours went away.

Now it's looking like he might have even more of a fight on his hands than he did last year (for the first half of the season anyway!!) and he just doesn't seem interested or particularly motivated to turn it around.

I see it going one of two ways - He (& Merc) will bounce back in spectacular form and run away with it, or this will be his final season. Whether he fights to the end or stays in his funk, I can't see him sticking around unless he grabs WDC #5, not after the dominance he has enjoyed over the last 4 years

Not with you on this one JB. We're only 4 races in and a lot of people are questioning Hamilton's hunger and desire to be in F1. Eh, WTF? 

I think Ferrari's great car has more to do with Hamilton (seeming) not on top form than anything to do with his motivation to carry on. It wasn't actually a "poor start" to the season, he was on fire in Melbourne, completely dominated the weekend but didn't get the result. That's F1, the greats can suck up that kind of knock back.

Yes, he has had two comparatively poor races out of 4, but he's still been there or thereabouts. Also disagree with anyone who says VB was better over the Baku weekend, LH and SV were trading the fastest laps until LH lock up and it would have finished Vettel, Hamilton, VB under normal circumstances. Yes VB deserved the win for maximising the circumstances, but to say he was faster? Nope. He put himself in a position to capitalise, credit for that (and I for one would have been very happy to see him win it), but he wasn't fast on race day.

Pretty clear to me that the Ferrari is the car of 2018 so far, Vettel has a great chance to take the title. But anyone who thinks Hamilton will roll over and throw in the towel is deluded. My moneys on a bounce back, a keen development race and a very, very close battle for the drivers title. At least that is what I am hoping for, to make the season worth watching.

Key points I take away from first 4 races

1. Ferrari have a great car that works across more conditions than rivals.
2. Hamilton lost a race through safety car fate, no mistake of his own.
3. Vettel should have won Baku (even after the last SC) but lost it through a mistake of his own making.

Points 2 & 3 are why I think Hamilton will win out over a season (assuming Mercedes can get car parity).

My tuppence worth.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

This is the thing Morini, it is maybe a bit strange to be talking about Lewis' this way so early on. He did indeed perform very well at Melbourne, but he never came across being enthused by it. He seemed more distant than usual in all press coverage, the only smile he cracked was during his qualifying thank the crowd PR speel. Then all this talk of Merc's Q3 engine mode, maybe it just started to annoy him. I dont know, like I said it's weird.

If I was in Lewis's position I'd be bored by now, sure winning is pinnacle, but when its been so easy I'd want something more. This current formula certainly isn't it.

But it's all speculative banter, before we know it, it'll be 3 three years signed up to Merc and a 5th in the bag with all the smiles.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(09-05-2018, 07:08 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  But it's all speculative banter, before we know it, it'll be 3 three years signed up to Merc and a 5th in the bag with all the smiles.

"and a 5th in the bag with all the smiles.".....I bloody hope not Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

(09-05-2018, 07:08 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  If I was in Lewis's position I'd be bored by now, sure winning is pinnacle, but when its been so easy I'd want something more.

See, I just can't buy this. Who could ever get bored of driving a F1 car at 10/10ths? Assuming one had the talent to keep it on the track, that is.

Also, I'd question the "easy" bit too. Have to beat your team mate in the same equipment for a start. Yes I know Nico Rosberg beat Hamilton in 2016, but Hamilton has nothing to be ashamed of there in my opinion. Anyone who can lose a championship and still win 10 races can hold his head up high.

Plus one motivation to carry on is to raise the bar for poles setting a target for those behind him (I don't see him matching Schumachers race win tally and I don't think he's really aiming for it). 5 titles and set the pole target in the 90's and I think he'll retire happy.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

This was all started as an April fools wind up...

What's happening?
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

It's sort of morphed since then though.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Yeah, I'd notice Morini!!! lol
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Want some more? : P

Where are the Merc's updates? They have turned up the Spain with very little new, mainly just some refinement. For the front runners not to turn up to Barcelona without some significant changes is unheard of. Nothing for five races, things aren't rosy....

heheheh

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.

(10-05-2018, 09:24 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Want some more? : P

Where are the Merc's updates? They have turned up the Spain with very little new, mainly just some refinement. For the front runners not to turn up to Barcelona without some significant changes is unheard of. Nothing for five races, things aren't rosy....

heheheh

I know halfway through FP1 is no indicator, but that Merc looks handy in the early low grip conditions. I'm sure the track will come to the others, but at the moment the Merc looks good (in the hands of VB anyway).
[+] 2 users Like morini's post