I was reading how those running F1 are to lay out a `blueprint` to teams over the Bahrain weekend, I read Mr Marko commenting he "did not see the MGU-H staying". This is not the first time I have read or heard about doing away with the unit... Why are they wanting to get rid of it? We have seen this device turning up on road vehicles under the guise of e-turbo`s over the last few years so it is somewhat relevant. Is this purely a money saving thing or have I missed the point? Anyone know?

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

Right, the Mercedes MGU-H is unbelievably good. At the start of the turbo hybrid era most engine manufacturers were happy if the were recovering 10% of the heat. Renault were chuffed actually. Then Mercedes said ours is already up at 28% and everyone else was stunned. The gap has come down, and everyone (yes Honda included) are now achieving pretty damn good results... However, they're super expensive to produce, and they're often the component that goes on the Renault engines. Last year I think Max got through 7 of them. Thing is the heat energy recovery tech from F1 has found it's way into many road products, and going forward I can't see any of the manufactures wanting it gone? Why? Well, you look at the corporation's who are currently leading in heat energy recovery and 4 of the top 5 groups are represented in F1 by a manufacturer, the other? VW Group. However, many teams now think the only way to curb Mercedes is to get rid of the MGU-H, and go with more kinetic energy recovery... now who did Mercedes poach from Ferrari recently? Some chap who pioneered KERS... they are already across this sadly and I think there is a risk that come 2021 if they're allowed too they just ace the engine again.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(27-03-2018, 04:48 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Right, the Mercedes MGU-H is unbelievably good. At the start of the turbo hybrid era most engine manufacturers were happy if the were recovering 10% of the heat. Renault were chuffed actually. Then Mercedes said ours is already up at 28% and everyone else was stunned. The gap has come down, and everyone (yes Honda included) are now achieving pretty damn good results... However, they're super expensive to produce, and they're often the component that goes on the Renault engines. Last year I think Max got through 7 of them. Thing is the heat energy recovery tech from F1 has found it's way into many road products, and going forward I can't see any of the manufactures wanting it gone? Why? Well, you look at the corporation's who are currently leading in heat energy recovery and 4 of the top 5 groups are represented in F1 by a manufacturer, the other? VW Group. However, many teams now think the only way to curb Mercedes is to get rid of the MGU-H, and go with more kinetic energy recovery... now who did Mercedes poach from Ferrari recently? Some chap who pioneered Let's... they already across this sadly and I think there is a risk that come 2021 if they're allowed too they just ace the engine again.

Cheers, I couldnt recall if there had been talk of why they wanted to bin it. With it being a green/efficient way of harvesting energy I couldnt see a logical reason other than cost reduction.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

Cost reduction might be part of it... but I don't buy it. Horner said at the end of last season that teams would spend less on engines in 2018 than they did in 2013. So I don't buy it. Although much of that might be do the the 3 engine limit. The real issue is RBR are concerned Renault and Honda are miles behind on the MGU-H when compared to Mercedes and now Ferrari. They're convinced that's the issue.

I don't know whether it is or it isn't. What I will say though is if you look a Lewis' pole lap at Turn 11 he hits the inside curb hard at high speed. The Mercedes rides it like it's a grain of salt. Now compare that with the onboard of Max slightly clipping it in Q2 and he nearly loses the car and goes 0.5 down in the sector because of it. The issues aren't just engine related. Mechanically that Mercedes is rock solid.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Typical Red Bull. Want to ban anything that they can't get to grips with themselves. Same goes for Horners comments on banning Quali engine modes. Managing the engines / hybrid system power is now part of the sport and Mercedes currently do it better. Even looking at Horner on telly (before he even opens his mouth) pisses me off. Live with it Horner / Marko and catch up, or go home.

Horner whinges almost as much as Alonso and I for one find it extremely irksome.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(27-03-2018, 05:40 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Cost reduction might be part of it... but I don't buy it.

Yeah, I think you are right Jody, whilst being expensive to produce it seems there is a lot more behind getting rid of the unit than saving some dollars. Typical F1

[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Horner and Marko need to suck it up. Why? This is their fault. Remember when Renault were blowing diffusers? When they were using off throttle gasses to re-energise their floor during corners... oh and when they had engine boost modes to overtake? We'll, when the other manufacturers, including Honda, wanted to curb this because they felt it was getting out of hand RBR with Renault threatened to quit the sport over it, and so engine maps were written into the regulations, we lost Honda, and RBR went on a four year winning streak... and Mercedes and Ferrari went away, licked their wounds and came back with a vengeance.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post