Mercedes W09

It's ride height appears super low in today's shots too Morini, compared with the Ferrari we've just seen which looks way high up off the floor. The Merc might well be scrapping along the road. The RBR also looked close to the floor at the front at least, even in the wet where you'd normally increase right height.

How the hell the halo isn't obscuring the drivers view God only knows. It has to be surely? I mean that camera was mounted inside the helmet either below or at the drivers eye line. True the human eye can move and maintain focus, but that's awful. It certainly gets in the way of the mirrors.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(22-02-2018, 09:45 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  How the hell the halo isn't obscuring the drivers view God only knows. It has to be surely? I mean that camera was mounted inside the helmet either below or at the drivers eye line. True the human eye can move and maintain focus, but that's awful. It certainly gets in the way of the mirrors.

Now picture bottom of eau rouge lack of track vision....scary at the best of times....

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

https://formulaone21.wordpress.com/2018/...-analysis/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(22-02-2018, 09:45 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  How the hell the halo isn't obscuring the drivers view God only knows. It has to be surely? I mean that camera was mounted inside the helmet either below or at the drivers eye line. True the human eye can move and maintain focus, but that's awful. It certainly gets in the way of the mirrors.

But the drivers have two eyes, this is only a single camera. The brain is a wonderful thing and is capable of looking beyond an object in the foreground like that without any effort. The drivers won't even notice it in the heat of battle.

Also, don't forget they have been driving around with pitots and antennas front and centre of their view for decades

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 1 user Likes Purple-banana's post

Mercedes technical director James Allison believes the team has made the right call by sticking to the long-wheelbase and low-rake concept for its 2018 Formula 1 car....mmm...conflicting

Yeah, I read those comments from Allison too. It's had me looking back at the car and the pictures again. There is rake. I'm sure of it. As are others who have analyzed the pictures in even more detail. The wheelbase thing? I'm honestly unsure of myself because of perspective of the pictures, no question it's still a long car, but a few are saying it's a few cm shorter, but I'll take Allison's word on it.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(23-02-2018, 12:38 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Yeah, I read those comments from Allison too. It's had me looking back at the car and the pictures again. There is rake. I'm sure of it. As are others who have analyzed the pictures in even more detail. The wheelbase thing? I'm honestly unsure of myself because of perspective of the pictures, no question it's still a long car, but a few are saying it's a few cm shorter, but I'll take Allison's word on it.

I too thought there was slightly more rake, but I have no idea about length...wont be long before we get more and more detail about each car, really looking forward to Monday now.

(23-02-2018, 12:42 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(23-02-2018, 12:38 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Yeah, I read those comments from Allison too. It's had me looking back at the car and the pictures again. There is rake. I'm sure of it. As are others who have analyzed the pictures in even more detail. The wheelbase thing? I'm honestly unsure of myself because of perspective of the pictures, no question it's still a long car, but a few are saying it's a few cm shorter, but I'll take Allison's word on it.

I too thought there was slightly more rake, but I have no idea about length...wont be long before we get more and more detail about each car, really looking forward to Monday now.

The upshot is Mercedes haven't radically changed their philosophy. I know there was a lot of debate about this, with Jody in particular expecting them to gravitate towards the short wb / high rake idea that most other teams run. I was skeptical Mercedes would (or even could) change that fundamentally. I think recent articles with Allison views have proved my scepticism was well founded.

They are going to be weak at the normal monaco / hungaroring / singapore circuits , but they certainly seem to be backing their strengths.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post