Poll: Which team has the best driver line-up for 2018 - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Ferrari - Vettel and Räikkönen
0%
0%
Mercedes - Hamilton and Bottas
10.00%
10.00%
Red Bull - Verstappen and Ricciardo
80.00%
80.00%
McLaren - Alonso and Vandorne
0%
0%
Force India - Pérez and Ocon
0%
0%
Renault - Sainz and Hulkenberg
10.00%
10.00%
Toro Rosso - Gasly and Hartley
0%
0%
Haas - Brake whinge boy and Magnussen
0%
0%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Best driver combo 2018

(16-11-2017, 07:06 PM)morini Wrote:  
(16-11-2017, 06:55 PM)Chloe17b Wrote:  There have already been incidents when 'Ham is having a bad day or Bottas a good one ' and the atmosphere's been fine.  Just like it was between Lewis and JB, and between Lewis and rosberg until rosberg cheated.
There's always been needle between Rosberg and Hamilton Chloe. The media portray them as mates back in the carting days, but they are both seriously competitive alpha drivers and always want(ed) to beat each other. Putting two drivers with that kind of history in the same F1 team was always going to end in friction - particularly when one of them would (all other factors being even) hand the other his arse on a plate.

Hence Ferrari`s ethos...Only room for one stallion in a stable

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

Seriously, one of us voted for a pair including Bottas?

Anyway, good that the minority has a vote to here... (just trying to understand).

(16-11-2017, 08:53 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(16-11-2017, 06:55 PM)Chloe17b Wrote:  There have already been incidents when 'Ham is having a bad day or Bottas a good one ' and the atmosphere's been fine.  Just like it was between Lewis and JB, and between Lewis and rosberg until rosberg cheated.
There's always been needle between Rosberg and Hamilton Chloe. The media portray them as mates back in the carting days, but they are both seriously competitive alpha drivers and always want(ed) to beat each other. Putting two drivers with that kind of history in the same F1 team was always going to end in friction - particularly when one of them would (all other factors being even) hand the other his arse on a plate.

But don't we, the fans, enjoy that tension, that rivalry?
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

(16-11-2017, 09:51 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Seriously, one of us voted for a pair including Bottas?

Anyway, good that the minority has a vote to here... (just trying to understand).

(16-11-2017, 08:53 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  

But don't we, the fans, enjoy that tension, that rivalry? 
Oh yes! I thoroughly enjoyed the Lewis -Nico rivalry / bad blood

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

@Antilochos I voted for Hamilton and Bottas and I gave my reasons. lol.

I don’t think you could argue the average level of talent of Bottas and Hamilton is better than Ricciardo and Verstappen... but in terms of bringing results in for the team and WCC’s and WDC’s I think as a combo it’s the best on the grid. If Max and Danny end up in a competitive car, they’ll get in a hell others way, there’ll be fireworks and they’ll scupper RBR’s chances. Those are my honest thoughts, feel free to mock and ridicule them.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(20-11-2017, 10:10 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  @Antilochos I voted for Hamilton and Bottas and I gave my reasons. lol.

I don’t think you could argue the average level of talent of Bottas and Hamilton is better than Ricciardo and Verstappen... but in terms of bringing results in for the team and WCC’s and WDC’s I think as a combo it’s the best on the grid. If Max and Danny end up in a competitive car, they’ll get in a hell others way, there’ll be fireworks and they’ll scupper RBR’s chances. Those are my honest thoughts, feel free to mock and ridicule them.

I was joking a bit with that. In fact, I'm glad at least one person voted different.

Agree that Verstappen and Ricciardo are a great combo now, but when both in race for the championship, how would that relationship hold? Could be interesting. 
Still, I think this will not happen. Verstappen is growing fast and he will become better and better. Verstappen will beat Ricciardo as teammate when up for a championship (look the qualifying lately, it's brutal). Ricciardo is not a number two driver and will leave the team (problem for him; Vettel and Hamilton probably does not want him beside him, maybe at McLaren?).
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

(20-11-2017, 10:10 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I don’t think you could argue the average level of talent of Bottas and Hamilton is better than Ricciardo and Verstappen... but in terms of bringing results in for the team and WCC’s and WDC’s I think as a combo it’s the best on the grid. If Max and Danny end up in a competitive car, they’ll get in a hell others way, there’ll be fireworks and they’ll scupper RBR’s chances. Those are my honest thoughts, feel free to mock and ridicule them.

The original question was who has the best driver lineup. I took that to mean talent and (I hate to say it) Valterri hasn't stepped up yet to top team performance. DR and MV have both shown they have more raw talent than VB - and I think you know I am not a VB detractor, I like him and seriously hope he does well next year.

I do agree with your observation that if RBR have a potential WDC winning car next season Max and Dan will be taking points of each other. But I don't think that is what the OP meant when he asked the question.

(20-11-2017, 10:10 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  @Antilochos I voted for Hamilton and Bottas and I gave my reasons. lol.

I think I may have mocked that originally as well mate, haha - but to be serious for a second, will do this off the top of my head this time, no cheating :Smile - 2014/15/16

Merc won the titles with something like 390 points difference, to next placed rivals, think they got to 397 one year, just couldn't crack that magical 400 points difference I guess, - also the Prost / Senna pairing also saw one of the most dominant eras / cars as you know - so other than the famously toxic pairing of Lewis and Nando - I'm not sure, that having two alpha's in the same team is actually detrimental

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

Based on talent as a driver's pair it's RBR all the way. Taking nothing from Lewis, but regarding his teammate: he had it very easy this year, made us see how good Rosberg really was. I'm not going to debate who cheated, did not cheat, who was the first to cheat etc. because I don't really care to be honest, it was good to watch. Now Lewis just ran off in the inter team competition. Anyway, just to drop a bomb: I still think Fernando is the absolute best on the grid at the moment, always extracting that extra bit from the car (when it works..)
[+] 2 users Like ReneSpeksnijder's post

(21-11-2017, 04:05 PM)ReneSpeksnijder Wrote:  Based on talent as a driver's pair it's RBR all the way. Taking nothing from Lewis, but regarding his teammate: he had it very easy this year, made us see how good Rosberg really was. I'm not going to debate who cheated, did not cheat, who was the first to cheat etc. because I don't really care to be honest, it was good to watch. Now Lewis just ran off in the inter team competition. Anyway, just to drop a bomb: I still think Fernando is the absolute best on the grid at the moment, always extracting that extra bit from the car (when it works..)

It's all good mate, this is a safe place, haha - Morini who set it up did so exactly so "proper" race fans could have a debate and a bit of "banter" without the wallies you get on other forums, and that was no bomb you dropped,

I totally agree, I think Nando, is the best also - though Morini, is a big Lewis, fan and doesn't like Nando, but we're quite capable of having a laugh - only adults here, bud  Wink

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 1 user Likes Foghorn Leghorn's post

@Morini considering I was the OP I know exactly what I meant. lol.

I meant which team do you think have the best combo and why. I left it up to people to decide their reasoning, and most, predictably and unsurprisingly went for ‘average talent’ if you will. In which case currently it is hard to look past the RBR pairing. I get that, but this season there has been needle, and Max ruined RBR’s chance of a podium (and given race pace) possibly the win when he refused to give up on a position that was his team mates, the fall out from that was big, and they weren’t exactly fighting for the title. Imagine next season in Australia it terms out they’re title contenders and the same th8ng happens. RBR would implode.

(21-11-2017, 04:05 PM)ReneSpeksnijder Wrote:  Based on talent as a driver's pair it's RBR all the way. Taking nothing from Lewis, but regarding his teammate: he had it very easy this year, made us see how good Rosberg really was. I'm not going to debate who cheated, did not cheat, who was the first to cheat etc. because I don't really care to be honest, it was good to watch. Now Lewis just ran off in the inter team competition. Anyway, just to drop a bomb: I still think Fernando is the absolute best on the grid at the moment, always extracting that extra bit from the car (when it works..)

For a long time I would have agreed with you about Alonso. Trouble is I happen to think Lewis has matured into the best allround driver on the grid... and apparently Alonso agrees. Interestingly Lewis recently said he thought Alonso was the best on the grid. They’re both phenomenal talents, and I think Max will get there too. Also really looking forward to seeing Leclerc, he’s something very special. I just hope next season the Renault powered teams can compete, and that the Mercedes PU isn’t as good as it ominously appeared to be in Brazil.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post