Renault R.S.18

Relax fog, there is more to come ....

Renault says it has yet to show what its 2018 Formula 1 car really looks like – after explaining that digital images of its new challenger released this week were primarily aimed at showing off its new livery.

The French manufacturer prompted a fair deal of intrigue after renderings of its new RS18 appeared to show very little change from its 2017 car.

It was unclear at the time as to whether this was because the team had steered clear of a major overhaul, or because it wanted to keep back some of its key aero developments until the start of testing or racing.
Now Renault’s F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul has clarified that the extent of the work the team has done over the winter will become clear only from next week’s first pre-season test.

“To be extremely clear, the car that we showed in digital was really a presentation for the livery,” Abiteboul told Motorsport.com during a Renault event in Paris.

“I have seen on forums people trying to extrapolate things from it. Well, calm down guys – don’t try to calculate the wheelbase because it will not be representative of anything!

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

That's good news to hear Forza, because I wasn't the only one seriously worried about Renault. The car they 'showed' had everyone scratching their heads and asking what they were playing at. I always thought they'd bolt on new bits in Barca / Melbourne, this sounds like the car might not resemble the render at all. Fingers crossed, because last year's car was a bit pants.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

The wheelbase calculations had me laughing, it is funny watching people trying to figure all that out.

But of course fans are going to be jumping all over it, anything F1, its the start of the season.

It is good news that they have a great deal to come. Cyrill just hasn't been coming across full of confidence, and seemed to be doing nothing but doom mongering. Lack of resource, engines headaches, all just indicated right off year.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

(24-02-2018, 10:29 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Relax fog, there is more to come ....

“To be extremely clear, the car that we showed in digital was really a presentation for the livery,” Abiteboul told Motorsport.com

Yeah, cheers bud, caught that myself. . . . . Phew

And while I know it's all a bit smoke and mirrors at this stage. . . . as this was just to show the new livery, why the feck couldn't they just say that at the time. It's not like they'd have been revealing anything. Guess they just like getting peeps all worked up

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 2 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

https://twitter.com/RenaultSportF1/statu...3516095488

Not the best microphone...

(24-02-2018, 01:39 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  https://twitter.com/RenaultSportF1/statu...3516095488

Not the best microphone...

sounds like little to none of the budget was spent on mics  Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

updated: https://formulaone21.wordpress.com/2018/...-analysis/

[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Iman going to be busy come Melbourne.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

So Renault have started a new craze, Blown Rear Wings. Which is what the monkey seat contributed to last year, Renault have designed their way around it.

Source: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form...ml?block=1

"Renault has found a whole new trick to generate more downforce. The engineers assemble the exhaust as high as the regulations allow (550 mm above the reference plane). For this purpose, the tailpipe is bent upwards as much as is allowed (5 degrees). 

The exhaust gases aim so from below on the main blade of the rear wing. It is specially coated on the underside so that the carbon structure in the heat jet does not start to melt."

(via Google Translate)

[Image: Renault-R-S-18-F1-Test-Barcelona-2018-li...149523.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Brilliant idea. As with all breakthroughs though, it does make you wonder why no-one thought of it sooner!?

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher