Testing Discussion

As launches & testing are fast approaching. Why not a thread to throw all the buildup in.

Mercedes: I've read a rumor(!) that they are having heating issues. Being caused by a shorter wheel base design. How short they have gone has not been divulged. I thought that they would not go for such a radical change to their philosophy. For a "heating issue" to arise one might assume its quite a substantial shortening. Less cooling, denser around rear suspension and diffuser compacting onto the rear tyres. Bringing back the old gremlin of the Mercedes eating its rear tyres?

Circuit de Catalunya: Has had a resurfacing. It was quite an abrasive surface which contributed to it being hard on the rears. The resurface is apparently quite very smooth, so this may have an impact on what compounds Pirelli will bring. Also as per resurfacing comes the oils and grease. Could be a slow first few days of testing as teams wait it out to rubber the track in.

Question: Do testing engines account for the seasons allocated 3 engines? I don't think they do, but unsure.

Excited or any liveries in particular? Hyped for McLaren and hope they go a good orange, not the Papaya orange but a more vivid, as they has in 2017 but more dominant and much more effort to the whole livery and not just the top of the car (because last year under the side pods was a 2 second doodle wreck.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

Good idea!

Testing engines do not count towards the seasons allowance.

I'm excited to see all the liveries, but Sauber and McLaren especially.

I'm not sure I understand how Mercedes can know they're having heating issues already? Presumably the only information they can have now is simulation, and would they have enough detailed and reliable information from that to know it's an issue? My gut feeling is that's just typical pre-season smoke and mirrors.

All* shall be revealed in 3 weeks!

* Some

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher

Looking forward to the car launches. Is it just me or does this feel like the longest off season ever?

JB, like you I am looking forward to seeing what sort of livery McLaren go with. My favourite McLaren livery will always be the Philip Morris colours, but I also liked the black and silver West cars. I even think the last but one black/red was way more striking than the orange of last year.

Liveries - superficial but important :-)
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

I am looking forward to seeing Ferrari`s livery :p

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(29-01-2018, 08:46 PM)morini Wrote:  Looking forward to the car launches. Is it just me or does this feel like the longest off season ever?

JB, like you I am looking forward to seeing what sort of livery McLaren go with. My favourite McLaren livery will always be the Philip Morris colours, but I also liked the black and silver West cars. I even think the last but one black/red was way more striking than the orange of last year.

Liveries - superficial but important :-)

Personally, the Philip Morris colours (being Marlboro for me), belong to Ferrari. No doubt.
McLaren, I like them in orange.

Very curious though about the new cars.

Might of missed it, but do we know what the new name of Force India will be? Will they stick with pink?

(30-01-2018, 12:18 AM)Antilochos Wrote:  Might of missed it, but do we know what the new name of Force India will be? Will they stick with pink?

I don't think they've announced a new name yet. Certainly as of last week they hadn't as either the BBC or Sky "gossip column" referenced that we were still waiting after "Force 1" was vetoed. I imagine they'll stick with the pink making up a major part of the livery since the BWT deal was a multi-year one, wasn't it?

I loved the PM/Marlboro McLaren colours too - even if it was just a smidge before my time. A different enough usage of the logo from Ferrari. I was hoping they brought it back when they started the Honda relationship. In hindsight I am damned glad they didn't!

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher

Couple of interesting reads, help build the technical hype.

Part 1 - https://formulaone21.wordpress.com/2018/...-part-one/

Part 2 - https://formulaone21.wordpress.com/2018/...-part-two/

An article from Mark Hughes about MERC and FER going into 2018.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opini...ch-f1-2018
[+] 4 users Like Monster Hesh's post

A good read, cheers

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

Some more lovely rumours flying around, for Ferrari this time.

Three major factors for the 2018 challenger.

1. They have found a major aero development that according to wind tunnel data is important. 
               - Other rumors as calling out a passive style 'DRS' on barge boards. Not team specific, and question over                      the regulation stating no movable aero parts.

2. Lighter PU. Fully radicalising the weight of the whole PU, batteries, cooling, the lot. The is a particular field Merc have been excelling in.

3. PU power output, as expected between seasons, the big 1,000HP reached on dyno. However Merc had this during last season. So expect Merc to go beyond that. Maybe Ferrari hope that they have achieved this effectively and efficiently.

Additional:

Do we think we will see more of the side crash structures outside of the sidepod casing on other other, pioneered by Ferrari?

(30-01-2018, 02:32 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opini...ch-f1-2018

Cheers for those Hesh. Enjoyed the Mark Hughes piece.