In season testing

With Jacques Villeneuve having recently brought up (again) about Stroll having tested in between races last year (a bit rich coming from JV who famously covered huge miles in private testing also), it got me thinking, what are the rules and regs for testing an older car in season? (or out of season for that matter)

Must there be someone from FIA in attendance and are the cars subject to any form of scrutineering?
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

Are you sitting comfortably?

(EDIT: It may be easier to read from the sporting regs directly - https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110)

10) TRACK RUNNING TIME OUTSIDE AN EVENT AND WIND TUNNEL TESTING
10.1 Testing of Current Cars (TCC) shall be defined as any track running time, not part of an Event, in which a competitor entered in the Championship participates (or in which a third party participates on behalf of a competitor or a supplier of a homologated power unit), using cars which were designed and built in order to comply with the Formula One Technical Regulations of the Championship, or those of the preceding year’s or the following year’s Championships. No competitor may sell or make available any such car of the current year to any third party without the prior authorisation of the FIA.
Each competitor will also be permitted to carry out two Promotional Events (PE) with the above cars which will not be considered TCC. A PE shall be defined as an event in which a competitor participates purely for marketing or promotional purposes. No such test may exceed 100km in length and only tyres manufactured specifically for this purpose by the appointed supplier may be used.
At the sole discretion of the FIA, and with the full knowledge of all competitors, each competitor will also be permitted to carry out :
a) Two Demonstration Events (DE) with the above cars which will not be considered TCC. A DE shall be defined as an event in which a competitor participates purely for demonstration purposes.
b) Other demonstration events organised by the Commercial Rights Holder.
No such demonstrations may take place on track configurations currently approved for use by Formula 1 cars nor exceed 15km in length, and only tyres manufactured specifically for this purpose by the appointed supplier may be used.
In order that an FIA observer may be appointed, competitors must inform the FIA of any planned TCC, PE or DE at least 72 hours before it is due to commence, the following information should be provided :
i) The precise specification of the car(s) to be used.
ii) The name(s) of the driver(s) if known.
iii) The nature of the test.
iv) The date(s) and intended duration of the test.
v) The purpose of the test.
10.2 Testing of Previous Cars (TPC) shall be defined as any track running time, not part of an Event, in which a competitor entered in the Championship participates (or in which a third party participates on behalf of a competitor or a supplier of a homologated power unit), using cars which were designed and built in order to comply with the Formula One Technical Regulations of any of the three calendar years falling immediately prior to the calendar year preceding the Championship. No competitor may sell or make available any such car to any third party without the prior authorisation of the FIA.
TPC may only be carried out with cars built to the specification of the period and only tyres manufactured specifically for this purpose may be used.
In order that an FIA observer may be appointed, where possible competitors must inform the FIA of any planned TPC at least 72 hours before it is due to commence, the following information should be provided :
i) The precise specification of the car(s) to be used.
ii) The name(s) of the driver(s) if known.
iii) The nature of the test.
iv) The date(s) and intended duration of the test.
v) The purpose of the test.
10.3 Testing of Historic Cars (THC) shall be defined as any track running time, not part of an Event, in which a competitor entered in the Championship participates (or in which a third party participates on behalf of a competitor), using cars which were designed and built in order to comply with the 2013 Formula One Technical Regulations or earlier.
THC may only be carried out with cars built to the specification of the period and only tyres manufactured specifically for this purpose, or tyres of the period, may be used.
10.4 Competitors may only participate in TCC, TPC or PE using cars which :
a) Have been subjected to, and fulfilled the requirements of, the tests described in Articles 16.2-6, 17.2-3 and 18.2-9 of the F1 Technical Regulations of the relevant year.
b) Comply with the requirements of Articles 13 and 14 of the F1 Technical Regulations of the relevant year (with the exception of Articles 13.1.1, 13.3.1 and 13.3.2 for the sole purpose of test sensor installations).
Any car used for TCC, TPC or PE must be fitted with the panels described in Articles 15.4.7 and 15.4.8 of the F1 Technical Regulations of the relevant year.
10.5 TCC may only take place on tracks currently approved for use by Formula 1 cars and located in Europe (unless agreed by the majority of the competitors and the FIA), may never occur whilst a Championship Event is taking place and shall be limited to :
a) Two tests, open to all competitors, of no more than four consecutive days’ duration carried out between 1 February and ten days before the start of the first Event of the Championship.
One day from any of these two tests may be set aside for testing of wet-weather tyres if requested by the appointed tyre supplier. Arrangements for this day of testing will be made in full consultation with all competitors and the FIA.
b) Two tests, open to all competitors, of no more than two consecutive days’ duration carried out on circuits where an Event has just taken place, such tests commencing no less than 36 hours after the end of the relevant Events.
Each competitor must allocate at least two of the above days for drivers in possession of an International A Licence not having competed in more than two F1 World Championship races during their career.
The above tests will be organised by the FIA in consultation with all competitors and the appointed tyre supplier. The test schedule will be finalised within 21 days of the first publication of the Championship calendar, changes may only be made after this date with the agreement of all competitors.
c) 25 car days of testing for the sole purpose of providing the appointed tyre supplier with the chance to test improvements to the design of their tyres, carried out between the end of the first Event of the Championship and one week following the end of the last Event of the Championship, organised by the FIA in consultation with all competitors and the appointed tyre supplier.
Any such testing scheduled at a circuit hosting an Event of the Championship may only be carried out after that Event has taken place.
d) One test, for the sole purpose of providing all competitors with the chance to test the tyre specifications to be used the following season, of two consecutive days’ duration carried out on the circuit at which the last Event of the Championship was held, such test commencing no less than 36 hours after the end of the Event.
e) One day, carried out between the start of a ten day period which precedes the start of the second Event and the last Event of the Championship, in case a competitor declares that one of its current race drivers is to be substituted by a driver who has not participated in an F1 World Championship race in the two previous calendar years. The following must be observed:
- Any such day may only be carried out by the new driver and may not take place on a circuit hosting a race in the current Championship year.
- Any such day may only take place within a period 14 days prior to the substitution and 14 days after the substitution has taken place.
- If a competitor, having declared the driver’s substitution and performed the test, does not then enter an Event with the new driver, the competitor will be penalised by a reduction of one day from the pre-season TCC days available in the following year.
With the exception of any test being carried out at night, in which case a new test schedule lasting no more than nine hours will be arranged, running may only take place between 9:00 and 18:00. In both cases each competitor may only use one car per day.
10.6 During all TCC and TPC cars must be fitted with the FIA ECU required by Article 8.2 of the FIA Formula One Technical Regulations.
10.7 During all Formula One TCC :
a) Red flag and chequered flag procedures must be respected.
b) No other type of vehicle is permitted on the track.
c) Cars being driven by drivers who do not possess a Super Licence must be fitted with a green rear light which must be illuminated at all times the car is on the track.
d) Every reasonable effort should be made to ensure that the recommendations concerning emergency services detailed in Supplement 1 of Appendix H to the Code are followed.
10.8 If, after an incident during TCC and TPC, the Medical Warning Light signals that threshold forces have been exceeded the driver must present himself for examination in the circuit medical centre without delay.
10.9 Competitors must abide by the aerodynamic testing restrictions set out in Appendix 8.

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 1 user Likes Purple-banana's post

(22-01-2018, 09:44 AM)Purple-banana Wrote:  Are you sitting comfortably?

(EDIT: It may be easier to read from the sporting regs directly - https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110)

Cheers for that JB , having read JV interview it got me thinking how/if teams could circumvent the rules.....maybe I just have a devious mind Smile

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

And perhaps spurred on by the Grand Tour's detailed account of the "tactics" employed by Lancia to beat Audi..... lol. Good luck finding a loop hole, I bet the guys in Maranello would be very keen to hear your ideas if you can think of anything.

Strikes me as odd about how scathing JV is of his compatriot. He really is a thunderwanking cockwomble

[+] 3 users Like Purple-banana's post

(22-01-2018, 11:48 AM)Purple-banana Wrote:  Strikes me as odd about how scathing JV is of his compatriot. He really is a thunderwanking cockwomble

Strangely though I didnt have much of an opinion on him in his Indy car days when I watched it.  I never did like JV when he arrived in F1 and nothing has changed since,once a tosspot always a tosspot, there is something about him irritates me  Angry

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

A number of things really turned me off the guy...

Firstly, he was one of the 'villains' when I first built an interest in the sport, team-mate to 'our Damon' (Who I have since gone-off too!). Funny now that I wouldn't slow down if JV stepped out in front of my car, but I'd willingly donate body organs for Schumacher.
Then it was his part in the 'agreement' with/goading Zonta to take Eau Rouge flat in 1999, nearly killing both themselves several times in the process, giving their mechanics an awful lot of undue stress, long-hours and hard work, and all for a whose-got-the-biggest-pecker competition between him - a WDC - and Zonta - a rookie - in a complete dog of a car.
And then his no-show at the end of the 2006 season, just because Sauber were looking at Kubica (Perhaps that was a blessing in disguise actually).

Oh, and he looked ridiculous in his oversized race suits.

Tw@.

[+] 1 user Likes Purple-banana's post

You forgot to mention his face, that really winds me up Wink

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(22-01-2018, 02:01 PM)Purple-banana Wrote:  A number of things really turned me off the guy...

Tw@.

I just googled "reasons not to like JV" and all of those came up Smile

Also this, about criticising Stroll

"If you follow Jacques’ logic, any F1 driver who does any kind of practicing or competition other than sanctioned F1 tests or races would be “circumventing the rules.” Would that mean Fernando Alonso was cheating when he spent several weeks in May in Indianapolis driving a single-seat, open-wheel car similar to an F1 car? Would Nico Hulkenburg have been cheating last June when he won the 24 Hours of Le Mans after driving in a World Endurance Championship race as a warmup?"

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

(22-01-2018, 07:20 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  "If you follow Jacques’ logic, any F1 driver who does any kind of practicing or competition other than sanctioned F1 tests or races would be “circumventing the rules.” Would that mean Fernando Alonso was cheating when he spent several weeks in May in Indianapolis driving a single-seat, open-wheel car similar to an F1 car? Would Nico Hulkenburg have been cheating last June when he won the 24 Hours of Le Mans after driving in a World Endurance Championship race as a warmup?"

Hahahahaha, there was no one done more private testing than that helmet JV.....he must have a very short memory

[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Jacques Vileturd always annoyed the hell out of me. He had talent, no question, but he squandered it more often than not, and actually wasn't anywhere near as good as he thought he was. And everyone is right, Vileturd did more testing than anyone else on the grid. I remember FW saying it was getting expensive.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post