2020 Hungarian GP

(19-07-2020, 06:31 PM)morini Wrote:  
(19-07-2020, 06:18 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Enjoyed that, incredible car Mercedes has made.... again  Cool

Good job from Lewis.

I went into this thinking all the action was yesterday in quali. Was pleasantly surprised, it was a fun race to watch and we all seemed to be enjoying it together in the chat room.

(19-07-2020, 06:18 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Max out driving his car, (except the lap to the grid  Shutup )  hope they can get him in the fight every weekend.

I'm just watching the highlights program on Sky. You know, I think that was one of Max's most impressive drives. Overcoming a setback on the way to the grid, being fast throughout the race and holding off a Mercedes at the end. Top quality drive, deserved DOTD (though it was close with LH who basically owned the whole event).

(19-07-2020, 06:18 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Thought Valtteri a lucky lad.    Dodgy

He was, it seemed right on the edge. But like I said above, I think he took enough of a penalty in all honesty. I thought he came back quite well, though his first move of CLC looked amateurish (at best)

(19-07-2020, 06:18 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Sebastian getting the better of CLK, we need the red cars back in the fight at the front.

The pressures off Seb now. I'd like to see him have some fun in his last year with Ferrari. I don't think that car is likely to win much this year though.

(19-07-2020, 06:18 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Only 2 weeks to a Silverstone double header, I'm guessing Valtteri will need to beat Lewis at least once there, more easily said than done.

Don't forget VB out qualified Lewis at Silverstone last year. LH was way faster in the race, but I think quali(s) will be really close.

(19-07-2020, 06:18 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Luckily there is Moto GP next week, I'm getting used to F1 every week, like it.  Wink

I must admit I have completely lost touch with Moto GP. Would like to get back into it, but I pay for too many subs already.
Why don't you ever use a box......€10 @ month every channel going. Including helmet views from every F1 driver.... and the amount of cobnversatiion between the driver and team would shock you..great insight....mines is now 4k pic quality...it's better than my sky box in the main room.
[+] 2 users Like pennywise's post

Agree Morini, today was a cracking little race, if you forget Lewis was out front daydreaming of a 7th WDC. Behind him there was plenty of action and good battles right throughout the field today. Pleasantly surprised that three years on the bounce Hungary has turned out to be a damn good race.

Also you're spot on with the déjà vu strategy. Except for one thing... Last year Lewis had a Merc that was only 0.2 seconds a lap quicker than the Red Bull in race trim. Bottas had a Merc that was 1.1 seconds a lap quicker in race trim. Lewis had 25 seconds to make up, Bottas had 23. All in all you can see that today Bottas just isn't on the same level. Lewis was relentless last year. Max knew it was coming. This year Max was more concerned about Blue Flags for back markers than he was Bottas.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

I'll drop you a PM a bit later Ian Wink

Need to disappear for a bit as I've been sat on my arse in front of the telly all day. Mrs is starting to get a bit "snipey" Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(19-07-2020, 06:31 PM)morini Wrote:   it was a fun race to watch and we all seemed to be enjoying it together in the chat room.

I'm just watching the highlights program on Sky. You know, I think that was one of Max's most impressive drives. Overcoming a setback on the way to the grid, being fast throughout the race and holding off a Mercedes at the end. Top quality drive, deserved DOTD

I must admit I have completely lost touch with Moto GP. Would like to get back into it, but I pay for too many subs already.

Been watching F1 with Gags since he was very young so I cant do chat on race day, enjoyed the quali chat.

We said the same he might have been 2nd but with all that he went through to split the Mercedes in a slower car was very special,  yes also our DOTD.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12153343/motogp-spain-live-stream-free-tv-channel-start-time-schedule/

Gags found this for Spanish GP, its a free 3 month trial, don't know if it would help or not but posted just in case.

MotoGP Spain is free for all viewers with an EE phone contract.

Simply text SPORT to 150 to get a three-month free trial of the BT Sport app.

(19-07-2020, 06:51 PM)pennywise Wrote:  Why don't you ever use a box......€10 @ month every channel going. Including helmet views from every F1 driver.... and the amount of cobnversatiion between the driver and team would shock you..great insight....mines is now 4k pic quality...it's better than my sky box in the main room.

I'm off now for the same reason as Morini    Shutup

I'll PM you later in the week Ian, see if I can talk "the Boss" into having a look at this box thingy..

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel

So KMag gets a penalty dropping him from P9 to P10, for coaching. Not being funny, but the previous two races Norris was being told how to drive the bloody car micro-sector by micro-sector. Just fricking bizarre. And Bottas jumps the start and isn't even investigated.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(19-07-2020, 08:19 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  So KMag gets a penalty dropping him from P9 to P10, for coaching. Not being funny, but the previous two races Norris was being told how to drive the bloody car micro-sector by micro-sector. Just fricking bizarre. And Bottas jumps the start and isn't even investigated.

That is just wrong. First to give Magnussen that penalty, which is just crap. Seriously, isn't coaching part of the sport? I really can't even imagine that coaching is not admitted. I am pretty sure the drivers get constant advice from the team. Today I heard Mercedes advice Hamilton to watch his left tyre, is that coaching? Screw that.

And then Bottas, not getting a penalty. A clear fault of the driver and it is not even punished, let alone investigated. 

This is wrong. I know the FIA job is not easy, but punishing Magnussen for such a minor mistake (if it even is a mistake!) while Bottas gets away with one of the most obvious faults, that is just plain stupid. Third race and they already lost my trust.
[+] 3 users Like Antilochos's post

I'm a little perturbed by the decisions taken today by the stewards. There are a quite serious number of inconsistencies in what they say from one incident to the next. It all seems as clear as mud to me, and the rules used to punish Haas today could've been used against Norris in the previous two races, and probably countless other drivers too. The Albon drying of the grid as well was... touch and go, those blowers were on the track and aimed at where the rear wheels would be sitting. Yet again, let him off. Yet a few seasons ago Renault got done for it. It's the lack of consistency. I won't go into details on Bottas, but in the past four seasons he's got away with jumping the start 5 times now. It's clearly something he gambles with and it's cheating, but yet again the FIA bottle it. Because they know full well that he's the only competition to Lewis.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(20-07-2020, 12:28 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I'm a little perturbed by the decisions taken today by the stewards. There are a quite serious number of inconsistencies in what they say from one incident to the next. It all seems as clear as mud to me, and the rules used to punish Haas today could've been used against Norris in the previous two races, and probably countless other drivers too. The Albon drying of the grid as well was... touch and go, those blowers were on the track and aimed at where the rear wheels would be sitting. Yet again, let him off. Yet a few seasons ago Renault got done for it. It's the lack of consistency. I won't go into details on Bottas, but in the past four seasons he's got away with jumping the start 5 times now. It's clearly something he gambles with and it's cheating, but yet again the FIA bottle it. Because they know full well that he's the only competition to Lewis.

Yeah, they seem to be making it up as they go along.

I did mention at the time (first Austrian GP) when Lando set that fastest last lap his engineer talked him through just about every corner. I was surprised none of the other teams commented on that post race. Horner isn't one for keeping his mouth shut, but  guess he was pleased to see Lewis lose 3 points? The Haas boys yesterday were no different so didn't deserve what they got. The Bottas jump start yesterday I can kind of see the logic in the decision to let it go. The mistake cost him a lot of places so he took his own punishment. If he gained any advantage from it I am sure that would have resulted in a penalty.

You are right though, consistency is the one thing they need to get right. But there are also occasions where they should balance that with a bit of common sense. It is interesting they are now applying track limits decisions consistently regardless of whether any advantage is gained. Now (to me) it seems rather pointless to delete a lap that is 6 seconds off the fastest time because a driver left the track and lost 3 seconds. But, it is consistent and I have no problem with them doing it if it stops the track limits pisstaking we've all been moaning about for years.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(19-07-2020, 01:46 PM)morini Wrote:  
(19-07-2020, 01:44 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  I figured out the problem (though did not solve it).
Slow and lazy as I am with new stuff, I only switched yesterday my colour theme from the standard to dark-green. With that new theme, the chat button does not work. Switching back towards the original theme, the button works again.

Ok, thanks.

I will take a look at that theme later, after the race.

I've fixed this issue for the dark background / green theme. You should be able to switch back to it (if that is your thing) and still use chat.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Watched the race on a recording late last night expecting a dull procession. Wow, WTF is going on with F1 lately? Three races at what most of us would consider "boring" tracks and we've had three really entertaining weekends! Admittedly the second Austria Sunday was a bit dull but taking each weekend as a whole I would say this is the most entertaining start to a season for a long time.

It is a pity about the large advantage Mercedes have out front but apart from that there is plenty to watch and talk about. Might be because we have waited so long to see any sport but I'm really enjoying what we've been served up so far in 2020. Interesting dynamic with the two Ferrari drivers. The car is clearly well off but Vettel is making Leclerc look pretty ordinary so far this year. I think Charles needs to dig deep and start showing some class, he will find Carlos Sainz no pushover next year.

Can't wait for the Silverstone races!

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.
[+] 2 users Like The Professor's post