Bottas to Renault

I know this one could be chalked up to very, very silly rumours, but I'm hearing Renault might actually drop the Hulk and go for Bottas. Apparently they've already made contact with his representatives. What do we reckon? Currently I'd say Bottas is proving not to be good enough to win the WDC and is rapidly losing touch with Hamilton, so I expect Ocon to be in the second car next season, and Bottas to Renault might be a good call for both.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(09-06-2019, 10:43 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I know this one could be chalked up to very, very silly rumours, but I'm hearing Renault might actually drop the Hulk and go for Bottas. Apparently they've already made contact with his representatives. What do we reckon? Currently I'd say Bottas is proving not to be good enough to win the WDC and is rapidly losing touch with Hamilton, so I expect Ocon to be in the second car next season, and Bottas to Renault might be a good call for both.

Would Bottas be a more challanging team mate for Daniel? Hmmmmm good question Smile
[+] 2 users Like DRicc's post

(09-06-2019, 10:43 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I know this one could be chalked up to very, very silly rumours, but I'm hearing Renault might actually drop the Hulk and go for Bottas. Apparently they've already made contact with his representatives. What do we reckon? Currently I'd say Bottas is proving not to be good enough to win the WDC and is rapidly losing touch with Hamilton, so I expect Ocon to be in the second car next season, and Bottas to Renault might be a good call for both.

Anything is possible but in all honesty I would prefer Hulkenberg in the car to Bottas. Partnering Hamilton is a tough ask for any but the very, very best and whilst Bottas is not up to being that person very few are. I think Bottas is an above average F1 driver but it is time for Mercedes to move on so I would expect to see a different driver in the car next to Hamilton next season.  I also agree with you I think it will be Ocon. I also think Ocon will be on a one year 'prove to me you belong here'contract.

Driver movement for 2021 will be fascinating but thats for a different thread I guess.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(09-06-2019, 10:55 PM)DRicc Wrote:  Would Bottas be a more challanging team mate for Daniel? Hmmmmm good question Smile

Bottas is a great qualifier. I really think he would give Dan a run for his money on that front. Race wise though, Dan Ricc is in another league.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

I actually agree with Morini, I think over one lap Bottas is a pretty good match to most, not quite u there with the very best, but nevertheless very rapid, so I guess he'd prove a stern test to Ricciardo, but Danny Ric is currently winning the quali battle 6-1 with Hulkenberg. However, over a race distance I think Ricciardo is likely to prove the better of the two, he's one of the best racers on the grid.

As to why Bottas over Hulkenberg though? I think the answer comes from Nick Chester, who I think is the technical director or sporting director (can't remember his title) when he says that the biggest thing Ricciardo has brought into the team is knowing where they're lacking to the top cars and why, and that his feedback is invaluable. So, imagine what it'd be like having feedback from the hyper technical Bottas who has been driving for the best team in F1 for 3 years? Williams said they'd missed his input the season he left, and I think we can all see that while it's not the reason for their woes, they've simply not had someone who can feed them the technical information they need for over 2 years now. Bottas will be in demand because of his insider Merc knowledge, so I can see exactly why Renault would be interested. Honestly? I can't think of a better pairing for Renault if they want to develop their car.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

(10-06-2019, 01:44 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  As to why Bottas over Hulkenberg though? I think the answer comes from Nick Chester, who I think is the technical director or sporting director (can't remember his title) when he says that the biggest thing Ricciardo has brought into the team is knowing where they're lacking to the top cars and why, and that his feedback is invaluable. So, imagine what it'd be like having feedback from the hyper technical Bottas who has been driving for the best team in F1 for 3 years? Williams said they'd missed his input the season he left, and I think we can all see that while it's not the reason for their woes, they've simply not had someone who can feed them the technical information they need for over 2 years now. Bottas will be in demand because of his insider Merc knowledge, so I can see exactly why Renault would be interested. Honestly? I can't think of a better pairing for Renault if they want to develop their car.

That's a very good point. I hadn't looked at it from that perspective before. The knowledge Dan and Valterri can take to a developing team must be like gold dust. I guess it's why Binotto is trying his best to lure technical staff awat from RBR and Mercedes.

Good, thought provoking post.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Morini when I first heard the rumours around the Monaco weekend I was a little surprised, I mean they've got Danny Ric and Hulkenberg is no slouch, so I was a bit confused, but Chester's response to why Ricciardo is so important for them just made me realise just how valuable hiring Bottas could be for a season or two for a team like Renault. He'll develop their car for them, show them where they're lacking, and like Ricciardo he has the nous to be able to explain it to the technical designers in a way they can utilise and appreciate. When you think about it rationally, it's not as bonkers as it might first seem.

You could be right Jody, talking about the technical input Bottas can provide.

On the other hand, I am still not sure if Mercedes cq Hamilton want a competative driver next to the clear number 1. They didn't liked the situation with Rosberg and Hamilton and now with Bottas, they are fully in controle, taking both championships with almost certainty.
But, they do have Ocon sitting around. I can imagine that Bottas wants a different landscape if he fails to beat Hamilton this year (and he will fail). Bottas leaves for Renault, Ocon gets the seat to prove himself. Don't think he is good enough though, but let him try and learn.

Then Hulkenberg. Could the rumors about him moving to Red Bull be true then?
[+] 3 users Like Antilochos's post

(10-06-2019, 02:36 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  On the other hand, I am still not sure if Mercedes cq Hamilton want a competative driver next to the clear number 1. They didn't liked the situation with Rosberg and Hamilton and now with Bottas, they are fully in controle, taking both championships with almost certainty.

It might work for Mercedes management having a "weaker" driver in the other seat, but I genuinely do not think Lewis Hamilton asks for number 1 status. I also believe that unlike some teams Mercedes really do give both drivers equal opportunity to win the WDC. Up until this season Bottas hasn't been quite good enough, that isn't a result of any preference to the other side of the garage. At least I don't think so.

I can see why Renault would be interested in Valterri though, given the way Jody positioned it in the post above.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

The Hulk to RBR might be Hulk's representatives trying to pimp him out because they understand Renault are looking elsewhere. I'm not sure RBR will ever recruit outside of their young driver program. Hulk could find himself at Haas, or maybe Forc... sorry... Racing Point, but I don't really see many options for him. Williams? But would he go there and can they afford him?

As to Ocon? His work in junior formula suggests he's at least the equal of Leclerc, and I think he proved himself more than a match for Perez over two seasons. I know lots don't rate Perez, but when Button said he's quick, I tend to believe him given the team mates he's had. All the top drivers last year Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, Ricciardo (maybe not Max ? ) all said he was far too talented to not have a seat, I think the top drivers can all spot "one of their own" and I think they all rate Ocon.

Back to Bottas though, I really could see him moving to Renault. I think it'd be a good move for him post Mercedes, but a great move for Renault, it's not often one of the midfield teams get to poach genuine top team tier drivers with multiple years experience at the top teams. I think Bottas to Renault would be quite the coup, and he'd be cheaper than Ricciardo.