Driver Line ups for 2020

I absolutely know its WAY too early but I figured if we had a thread we could add to as time goes along and see how much opinions change which one of us is a sage and which ones of us need a better life. Maybe this is already a reflection of a disappointing start to the season. Yes there are always some good things happen every race but the lack of results other than Mercedes wins is disappointing.

Mercedes: Hamilton & Bottas

Ferrari: Leclerc & Vettel

Red Bull: Verstappen & Gasly

Racing Point:  Stroll & Ocon

Renault: Hulkenberg & Ricciardo

Toro Rosso: Albon & A.N. Other

Alfa Romeo: Raikkonen & A.N. Other

McLaren: Sainz & Norris

Hass: Magnussen & A.N. Other

Williams: Russell & A.N. Other

I think Vettel will just about hang on to his seat but I see a lot of changes outside the top three team. I think Perez, Grosjean, Kubica will be out of F1 and maybe Kyvat stays.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

I think it's too early to call right now, but here goes:

Mercedes: Lewis + Bottas or Ocon. If Bottas wins the WDC he stays, if not Ocon will get that drive.

Ferrari: Vettel + Leclerc (don't see there being changes)

RBR: Verstappen + Gasly (unless Gasly Bombs)

Racing Point: Stroll + Perez (Stroll is going nowhere, and Perez is the only one scoring points. The interesting comments that their engineers aren't getting the driver feedback they need is an interesting comment, and perhaps a sign of just how reliant those wonder years were on Ocon)

Renault: Ricciardo + Hulkenberg (arguably one of the strongest pairings on the grid, and way better than Renault currently deserve)

Toro Rosso: Kvyat + Albon (I see them sticking to this pairing for another season, unless Gasly continues to bomb then one of them will be promoted to RBR, if so we'll see Ticktum promoted perhaps).

Alfa Romeo: Räikkönen + Giovinazzi (I think the Italian will be saved by the lack of prospective Ferrari talent that's ready)

McLaren: Norris & Sainz (cracking pairing why change?)

Haas: I think both are at serious risk, Magnussen is the one most likely to be kept for continuity, but Grosjean is like a bad fart that lingers far too long.

Williams: Russell + Latifi (I don't see Kubica lasting the full season).
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

I didn't reply to this straight away as, if I am honest, I've lost touch with the lower formula drivers over the past couple of seasons.

However, I agree with Jody that if VB doesn't win the WDC this year he is very likely to be repaced by Ocon. Will VB get a dirive elsewhere if he is let go? Myself, I think he deserves to but what kind of seats would be available? I also think Robert Kubica should be put out of his misery, he was an awesome talent before his accident but I'm in full cringe mode every time he gets in the car these days. The Williams is shit, but if RK was the driver he was before his accident I am sure he would be teaching George some tricks. He should go gracefully and give a youngster a chance.

Mick Schu in a Sauber maybe? Who knows?
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Morini, Mick isn't ready, not by a long shot. F2 is a bit weird right now. Lots of drivers who have been in there far too long, and the new additions to the roster aren't quite able to compete with the seasoned F2 veterans, who have had their asses repeatedly handed to them by rookies over the past few years who are now in F1 like Norris, Russell, Leclerc, Albon... the F2 well seems a bit dry to me right now.

(19-05-2019, 12:10 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Morini, Mick isn't ready, not by a long shot. F2 is a bit weird right now. Lots of drivers who have been in there far too long, and the new additions to the roster aren't quite able to compete with the seasoned F2 veterans, who have had their asses repeatedly handed to them by rookies over the past few years who are now in F1 like Borrus, Russell, Leclerc, Albon... the F2 well seems a bit dry to me right now.

I like Jack Aitkin he may have an F1 future but F2 is a mish mosh of drivers this year. The top three from last year are all in F1 this year which is awesome to see.

The trouble with F2 as it is now (previously there were two series, but they were the same), you need to come in and hit the ground running in your first season to impress. Those that have invariably go on to be top drivers, Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel, Rosberg, Schumacher, etc. etc. etc.

If you've had a season or two in F2 it shows you take time to get up to speed, and that's something you just can't afford in F1. Soooo... of the current crop in F2 it's going to be hard for the likes of King to ever make it. He's too long in the tooth in F2 terms and never shown enough, ditto De Vries, Ghiotto, Camara, Delatraz et el.

Latifi is an odd one to me. He's been there for a few years and always at the sharp end. His failures to "win" an F2 title are mostly down to bad luck out of his control (being hit, car breaking down), however there's also that feeling even with that taken into account he should never have found himself in those seasons fighting with rookies and often losing out to them by big margins.

I fear Aitken will go the same way as Latifi (sorry if that's disappointing you), but to me they're both Jolyon Palmer's in the making. Hard workers who can chip away at things and eventually get to a good approximation of where a driver "should" be, but not quick enough to make them a natural or adaptable driver, which is what you need in F1. For the record this is also why I didn't rate Gasly before he came into F1.

So what of the rookies this year? Well... they've got it tough. Firstly this is a very deeply experienced F2 field, and to be at that level right off of the bat is a big ask. Secondly I don't think many of them are ready. Schumacher has not been impressive and the hype around him needs to stop. The pressure on him to be like his father is unbearable and unfair. It's clear he's not that sort of driver, he's actually more like his uncle, he seems less ruthlessly methodical, and more emotionally driven.

Either way, I'd say right now only Latifi is ready for an F1 drive in my opinion, but that if he were to get one he'd not do much with it. The other rookie in F2 a lot of people rate is Mazepin, he was great in GP3 with a poor team like Ticktum was, punching above weight of their respective teams. Yet he's found F2 hard going, he's struggled with the tyres and reliability, but Mercedes have got him a seat at ART and he needs to do more with it.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

I am thinking after his latest outburst we may see not 1 but 2 new drivers at Haas next year.

Magnussen was a complete douche bag this weekend, I thought Steiner went easy on him at least in public!
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

Updated just because Smile

Mercedes: Hamilton & Bottas

Ferrari: Leclerc & Vettel

Red Bull: Verstappen & Gasly

Racing Point: Stroll & Perez

Renault: Ocon & Ricciardo

Toro Rosso: Albon & Kyvat

Alfa Romeo: Raikkonen & Giovinazzi

McLaren: Sainz & Norris

Hass: Hulkenberg & Rossi

Williams: Russell & Latifi
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Going to give it until after the summer break before I consider this. VB is showing some proper class this season but I'm not convinced it will be enough to keep his Merc seat. Will depend on if he digs deep or implodes from here in. It nust be very demoralising being almost 2 race wins behind even though (on the whole) he has been on top of his game.

I like the guy, but I'd also like to see Ocon in a decent car next year. That doesn'r mean I think Ocon is anywhere near Hamiltons level, but he needs to get back in the game to gain some top level experience for challenging Max and Charles in years to come.

If I am honest I see Valterri moving on in 2020.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(19-07-2019, 03:20 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Updated just because Smile

Hass: Hulkenberg & Rossi

From what I was reading on Planet F1 you might be right about both of them getting the boot, interesting line up bud.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel