Kubica no longer in the frame for Williams drive

(16-12-2017, 12:08 AM)Antilochos Wrote:  http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12476/1...il-january

Between Sirotkin and Kvyat. Who would you pick

Hobsons choice. I wouldn't want either of them to be honest. Which one has the most attractive girlfriend?
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Morini, going on junior Formula performances you’d go Kvyat. Not exactly a mouthwatering prospect, but perhaps getting away from the RBR stable will help him. But truthfully I’d prefer a bullet to the head. Think for Williams it’s a question of cash, which probably means Sirotkin.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

[quote='Jody Barton' pid='1125' dateline='1513155040']
I said his times didn’t look good, and essentially his low fuel laps were slower than Stroll, on faster compound tyres to boot, which, well isn’t good:

http://www.thenews.pl/1/5/Artykul/339408...ams-report

So apparently Sirotkin is preferred, so Williams now do need two paid drivers (Kubica brought with him some hefty funding too)

Correct me if I am wrong Jody but I thought Kubica was only bringing 8 Mil euro with him, Sirotkin 15 possibly 20 mil euro. Have you heard the rumours there are a few arguments going on in Williams over the drivers with the opposing sides not willing to back down?

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Forza, I think there is clearly arguments going on inside Williams otherwise it’d have been announced by now. I heard Kubica was bringing closer to €12m and that his age played well with the Martini sponsorship. I’d heard both Sirotkin and Kvyat are bringing nearly €15m a pop, while Wehrleins dowry at Sauber was worth a similar figure to Kubica at €11m.

I’ve heard there are three camps pure racers who want Di Resta or Wehrlein as they’re seen as the fastest option. The second camp the commercially minded want to keep Martini happy and favour Kubica, and Di Resta because of there ages. The third camp think they should have two young drivers with big dowry’s as they can keep Martini happy regardless, they also think having a Russian driver might help with attracting new wealthy sponsors in Russia, and thus favour Kvyat or Sirotkin.

I’ve made my personal thoughts clear, I’d take Wehrlein, or whoever is quickest, but I get Williams have financial / commercial concerns too, so it’s not easy for them.

Perhaps they will sort it out over the Williams christmas dinner, a heavy night of booze and duke it out in the car park....it`s called `black eye friday` for good reason Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

(16-12-2017, 02:31 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Perhaps they will sort it out over the Williams christmas dinner, a heavy night of booze and duke it out in the car park....it`s called `black eye friday` for good reason Wink

They just need to know who is boss and for them to make a decision. It’s been Williams’ problem for a few seasons. No one seems to be in charge / willing to be the one to make the big decisions. There are teams with too many head chefs, and there’s Williams with no head chef at all. They’re a mess.

(16-12-2017, 03:31 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  They just need to know who is boss and for them to make a decision. It’s been Williams’ problem for a few seasons. No one seems to be in charge / willing to be the one to make the big decisions. There are teams with too many head chefs, and there’s Williams with no head chef at all. They’re a mess.

This was one of my reasons for hoping Kubica would get the seat, yes other drivers have proven they where quicker during testing but Williams need a bit of leadership as you say but they also need a bit of driver experience, someone to point the engineers in the right direction so to speak, It is all well and good a driver bringing a shitload of cash (much needed) but 2 drivers bringing the money and not necessarily the experience spells disaster. ( I am not saying RK is the Messiah for Williams and yes he may well not make the cut...perhaps my rose tinted glasses need changing....sadly it looks like we will never know)

[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

I don’t think it’s a lead driver Williams need. They need a head honcho who actual has a spine. They need an engineer who takes charge of that side, and they need a CEO or Managing Director who can command respect and marshal the troops behind the lead engineers plans. They’ve not really had that for 5 seasons and it was clear the team had lost faith in Symonds and weren’t fully supportive a few years earlier. They’re a mess. A lead driver with experience certainly wouldn’t hurt, but I think they need to sort out the back of house first, just not sure Paddy Lowe is a ‘leader’ either.

100% agree with you there, Williams need leadership...I too doubt Paddy is the man to lead them, I wasn't suggesting RK would perform miracles, I just believe having 2 drivers in a team who are mainly there because of backing/funds is the wrong way to go...especially Williams who are as you say lacking a head honcho. Frank, a racer at heart would never have found this acceptable in his day.

(17-12-2017, 07:35 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  100% agree with you there, Williams need leadership.... Frank, a racer at heart would never have found this acceptable in his day.

I was going to ask what ever happened to Patrick Head - and a very well named person - his head is huge, haha - but googled it myself with a bit of a surprise.

"Head, who set up Williams Grand Prix Engineering with principal Frank Williams in 1977 and designed a series of world-beating cars, said he would focus on work for Williams Hybrid Power, which deals with flywheel technology for broader commercial use in buses and trains."

bit of a change - F1 tech to buses

'It's not interesting for me and it's not good for the company so I decided to have a change of focus, that's all,' declared Head.

also sold half his shares - sounds like a lot of internal goings on there, and

"I certainly think those three people are good and I'm quite certain they will lift the capability of the company upwards. But we've fallen into quite a poor level, quite a long way to go. It's not going to happen over a one-year cycle."

sounds like code for fuck em

and a shame really, I quite like Clare, but having seen the recent Williams documentary, found it a little uneasy watching at times, seemed more focused on internal family squabbles than the actual achievements of Williams - so as it pains me to say it, as after Monisha left Sauber she's the only Woman in charge, it looks like she is doing a piss poor job - a shame really that Monisha wasn't heading up the team instead, as I think she did a great job at Sauber

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 3 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post