Wehrlein and Kyvat to Toro Rosso?

Again via Teds notebook today he is reporting that rumour on the paddock (as opposed to street!!) is that Toro Rosso will go after Wehrlein and Kvyat for the drivers seats next year.

I would like that!
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Yep, I've heard Wehrlein to Toro Rosso rumours are true, and that's the reason Mercedes severed ties with him. It'd be a great move for RBR and Wehrlein. It's utterly ridiculous a driver of his ability isn't on the grid, yet we have Stroll, Sirotkin and Ericsson still fouling up the paddock.

Although hearing Giovinazzi is nailed on to replace Ericsson as Ferrari have vetoed Ocon and Vandorne sullying the Alfa Romeo name.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(15-09-2018, 09:17 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Yep, I've heard Wehrlein to Toro Rosso rumours are true, and that's the reason Mercedes severed ties with him. It'd be a great move for RBR and Wehrlein. It's utterly ridiculous a driver of his ability isn't on the grid, yet we have Stroll, Sirotkin and Ericsson still fouling up the paddock.

Although hearing Giovinazzi is nailed on to replace Ericsson as Ferrari have vetoed Ocon and Vandorne sullying the Alfa Romeo name.

Am I way out of line to believe (or think) Raikkonen to Alfa Romeo was also a negotiation between Ferrari and Alfa Romeo, a soften the blow for leaving Ferrari?  And now does that not make perfect sense that Kimi can tutor another young Ferrari prospect and help develop Ferrari's B team (Personally I think it is just a matter of time until it officially becomes Alfa Romeo and the Sauber name is dropped)

I dont care about loyalties or which driver program they are from seeing Ericsson gone will be a blessing.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

NeilP I think the Fiat Group always had it in their plans to buy Sauber and turn it into Alfa Romeo / Ferrari B-team. I do. I think Kimi is being kept on the grid for two reasons:

1) Just in case driving for Ferrari turns out to be too much for Leclerc, Ferrari have a ready to step into his shoes again replacement.
2) To bring on the Sauber / Alfa Romeo operation and perhaps Giovinazzi.

Honestly I can see why it's a shrewd move for Ferrari, and Sauber, but I just don't like the idea of Kimi pootling around in a Sauber, as a Kimi fan that'll sting. As to seeing Ericsson gone, yeah, if he could take Stroll, Vandorne, Hartly and Sirotkin with him it'd be greatly appreciated. lol.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

I have to say, I was never really 100% convinced by Wehrlein. I'm not saying he's not good, not like he had that much chance to shine in all fairness. But with the likes of Ocon struggling for a seat and Kimi (much as I like the old git) hogging a lesser seat for the next two years plus some real "potential stars" waiting in the wings. Someones got to lose out. Does Kimi really want to end his career scrabbling around in the midfield? It's not like he's short of the odd bob or two.

More teams. But wheres the cash coming from if it's not from the "B teams" like discussed in another thread?
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(15-09-2018, 10:24 PM)morini Wrote:  I have to say, I was never really 100% convinced by Wehrlein. 

Neither was I. However, like Gasly I think he showed more than enough to suggest he could mature into a damn fine F1 driver. Not saying he was the complete driver, or the finished article, but compare him to Sirotkin, Stroll, Ericsson, Hartly and yes even Vandorne and tell me he's not better than at the very least 4 out of those 5, but for me he's better than all 5. So if he does say replace Hartly at Toro Rosso I'll be happy with that. If Giovinazzi also replaces Ericsson I'll also be happy with that too.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(16-09-2018, 09:58 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  
(15-09-2018, 10:24 PM)morini Wrote:  

Neither was I. However, like Gasly I think he showed more than enough to suggest he could mature into a damn fine F1 driver. . . . .

but compare him to . . . Ericsson . . .

It's just been done, and pretty fairly IMO,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnjM22UwV0I

I'd much rather have Ocon, fill that seat, or any in F1 rather than a returning Pascal, though I feel somewhat the same about the other drivers you mentioned

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 2 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

Yeah, and I take that video and point out that Wehrlein's car was the car Sauber started with in Australia that year until Canada, whereas Ericsson got new parts. Also fair to point out Ericsson got new engines whereas Wehrlein didn't get a new engine until Silverstone that year, and it was the same unit that had ERS deployment issues in China that caused Giovinazzi to spin out of the Chinese GP... twice. It was turned way down to maintain it and reduce costs... and he still beat Ericsson driving a lump of a car that didn't get the upgrades as Ericsson was favoured and had a worn out dodgy donkey in the rear. Sorry that video doesn't tell anywhere near the whole picture. Wehrlein is a better driver than many currently on the grid, and I for one would like to see him given a second chance at Toro rosso and lets see how he goes.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(15-10-2018, 11:45 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Yeah, and I take that video and point out that Wehrlein's car was . . .

Good points as always Jody, I won't disagree with any of that, - that said, wasn't there also an issue about how he worked within a team, which I think you backed up yourself a while back? Think there were reports if it.

Yes, I'd have Pascal any day over Erricson, any day, and as I said, feel somewhat the same about the other drivers you mentioned.

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 1 user Likes Foghorn Leghorn's post

It was Manor that had issues with Wehrlein, he often would be focused in FP on trying to perfect his lap time, instead of looking at race pace, which he often argued over the radio about. It was his first season in F1 and yeah, no question he had a chip on his shoulder, or two. Not questioning that, but so have many driver who came into F1, but after ditching his car into the wall somewhere (I forget where) after his team had told him not to push and to focus on long runs or even box, I could understand Manor's annoyance with him. Not saying he's faultless, he isn't, he has that same "chippy" attitude a lot of young F1 drivers have. He is however quicker and better already than many on the grid. I'd have him over Stroll and Sirotkin in a flash, ditto Hartley. We're losing Vandorne and Ericsson thankfully, but that still leaves some utter dross on the grid that Wehrlein is already head and shoulders above.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post