F1 Banter Online Forums
2023 Austrian GP - Printable Version

+- F1 Banter Online Forums (https://www.f1banter.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Formula 1 Discussions (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: F1 General Discussion Board (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: 2023 Race Threads (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+---- Thread: 2023 Austrian GP (/showthread.php?tid=881)

Pages: 1 2 3

2023 Austrian GP - NeilP - 27-06-2023

From Papa On Canada GP Thread

Austrian Grand Prix weather forecast

Friday

The sole practice session will run from 1.30pm to 2.30pm local time and although it is predicted to remain dry that is far from certain.

Clouds are set to hover over the circuit and the chance of rain is expected to go up from 16 per cent to 26 per cent during the session, where light winds are also expected to feature, giving the cars a tail wind in the long run up the hill following turn one.

It is set to be all change for the qualifying session to decide the grid order on race day in the one hour from 5pm. Light showers are forecast from 3pm right through the evening but the chances of rain falling during the session are expected to decrease from 50 per cent to 34 per cent - leaving it all a lottery at this point when you factor that sunny spells are also expected to feature around this time.

Saturday

As the drivers head into Saturday looking to bag some points on sprint day, fans may instead be sprinting for cover from the rain.

Right when sprint qualifying stars at midday, there is a 50/50 chance of light showers along with a light wind that will be head onto the drivers down the start/finish straight.

Conditions only get worse throughout the afternoon and for the actual sprint race at 4.30pm where thundery showers are set to disrupt the race and conditions likely to worsen.

Sunday

But like in Canada, race day could be where the conditions are at their best from 3pm.

A couple of degrees warmer at 24 than Saturday's running, overcast skies are still set to feature but rain is not expected if not quite ruled out entirely with predictions of rain just below a one in three chance.

The wind is expected to turn again to a light breeze towards the south, meaning a headlong wind for the drivers as they exit turn one and race up towards the tight turn three to the right after the slight kink of turn two.

RE: 2023 Austrian GP - PapaofGags - 27-06-2023

(27-06-2023, 11:13 AM)NeilP Wrote:  From Papa On Canada GP Thread

Cheer's mate   Cry   Tongue

RE: 2023 Austrian GP - NeilP - 28-06-2023

I can never make my mind up about this race. Maybe its the short lap, maybe its because its a Red Bull home track and we all know how much I love Red Bull Smile

In fairness I guess there are places to pass here especially going up the hill into turn 2 and the subsequent straight into turn 3. There have been some very dramatic incidents here my favourite being when Rosberg pushed Hamilton off the track but destroyed his car in the process Smile .

I am almost embarrassed to write the next bit because its cut and paste from every single race preview I write. Red Bull Verstappen to win by a country mile, maybe even lapping the field here. The battle for 2nd through maybe as far back as 10th will be where the 'racing' will be taking place. 

I expect to be around for the actual qualifying, the dreaded Sprint race and the actual race. I hope you are all keeping well.

Race Times UK Time

RE: 2023 Austrian GP - Westie - 28-06-2023

This race is just in the way of us getting to Silverstone. Can't say it's a race I ever really like that much. I suspect you are right about Max lapping the entire field.

I don't know what more proof the bloody FIA and F1 need to understand they screwed these rules up. This season is going to go down in history for anyone that isn't Dutch or a Max fan as one of the worst... though to be fair, Max aside, there is some interesting racing going on. I'm just fed up to the teeth of being told that a 2 (and soon to be) 3 x World Champion is now better than either of the existing 7 x World Champs and he's not even gotten there yet - though with this type of domination it may not take as long as was perhaps thought. Though if they allow this kind of domination to go unchecked... or at least don't place a few stumbling blocks in their way then this series is done surely.

I've got to stop reading silly articles and silly comments from fans insisting their Max is God's gift to racing and has never put a foot wrong. It's bad enough he's winning, it seems unfair and to have his fans spreading bollox about is just making it worse.

I have never followed football... but given how rabid this lot seem I can only imagine this is what it must be like to be a football fan. Hard work, integrity and honesty are seen as weak and must be stamped out....in favour of win at all costs tactics which means even those in your own team are sacrificed.... the Red Bull way it seems.

Anyways - will be interesting to live in hope that Merc and perhaps the others have taken a step with their upgrades and might manage to close the gap perhaps? Maybe with reduced practice we could get a jumbled up grid... as long as Max is jumbled to the rear, however unlikely.

RE: 2023 Austrian GP - PapaofGags - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 03:33 PM)Westie Wrote:  1) This race is just in the way of us getting to Silverstone.  Can't say it's a race I ever really like that much. I suspect you are right about Max lapping the entire field.

2) I don't know what more proof the bloody FIA and F1 need to understand they screwed these rules up.  This season is going to go down in history for anyone that isn't Dutch or a Max fan as one of the worst... though to be fair,  Max aside,  there is some interesting racing going on.  I'm just fed up to the teeth of being told that a 2 (and soon to be) 3 x World Champion is now better than either of the existing 7 x World Champs and he's not even gotten there yet - though with this type of domination it may not take as long as was perhaps thought.  Though if they allow this kind of domination to go unchecked... or at least don't place a few stumbling blocks in their way then this series is done surely.

3) I've got to stop reading silly articles and silly comments from fans insisting their Max is God's gift to racing and has never put a foot wrong.  It's bad enough he's winning,  it seems unfair and to have his fans spreading bollox about is just making it worse.

4) I have never followed football... but given how rabid this lot seem I can only imagine this is what it must be like to be a football fan.  Hard work, integrity and honesty are seen as weak and must be stamped out....in favour of win at all costs tactics which means even those in your own team are sacrificed.... the Red Bull way it seems.

5) Anyways - will be interesting to live in hope that Merc and perhaps the others have taken a step with their upgrades and might manage to close the gap perhaps?  Maybe with reduced practice we could get a jumbled up grid... as long as Max is jumbled to the rear,  however unlikely.

1) What a brilliant way of putting it   Big Grin

2) Thing is for me Danny has been the best driver Max has had in the same car..... & look what Lando did to him, both Fernando & Lewis have had 3 WDC's as team mates, this will never happen to Max, not necessarily his fault but it doesn't help his legacy imo, the Helmet & short spice will never put say for example Fernado in the same car as Max.

They will protect him, I've read that Yuki & Alex are being considered for the seat, WTF? really, also Danny who was spanked by Lando! drivers are judged by who the beat who in the same car this will taint Max's legacy for some fans like me, its not Max's fault to be fair, I'd like Helmet & short spice to grow a pair & put in Lando, just not sure it will happen, which is sad & just a bit pathetic from Red Bull.

3) Yeah I feel the same, bored of hearing it & when I point out above (2) I'm generally told it doesn't matter who is Max's team mate because he's the GOAT & would beat & *anyone* past or present.... stupid fecks.

(recently I've been told Senna & Prost were journeyman drivers!)

4) A large portion of Max's fans must be football fans because so many are just #FeckingStupid to those I again point out point 2, usually starts a bun fight lol. 

5) Yeah I'm reading Ferrari, Mercedes, Aston & McLaren (hooray!!!) are hoping for good thing's in the coming races starting in Austria, lets hope so! 
I won't be around this weekend, will record & watch late Sunday night, so enjoy all.

Just over a week to Silverstone!  Cool

RE: 2023 Austrian GP - morini - 28-06-2023

Australia fully in the driving seat first day of second ashes test. Some missed chances, but looking ominous for the series.

F1, meh, I've lost interest now.

RE: 2023 Austrian GP - forzaferrari - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 04:29 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  I won't be around this weekend,

No need to rub it in mate  Angry

RE: 2023 Austrian GP - PapaofGags - 29-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 07:53 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(28-06-2023, 04:29 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  I won't be around this weekend,

No need to rub it in mate  Angry

Hehe come on JR!!!    Laughing

Friday

The sole practice session will run from 1.30pm to 2.30pm local time, it had been predicted to remain dry but it now looks like a downpour may hit the session.

While clouds and a small chance of showers were on the cards, there is now a 50/50 chance that it could be thundery showers hitting the circuit, where light winds are also expected to feature, giving the cars a tail wind in the long run up the hill following turn one.

Those same conditions look like they'll linger for qualifying to decide the grid order on race day in the hour from 5pm. Thundery showers are set to be a feature all day at the Red Bull Ring starting from midday right through until the evening though, leaving an element of uncertainty.

Saturday

As the drivers head into Saturday looking to bag some points on sprint day, fans may instead be sprinting for cover from the rain.

Right when sprint qualifying stars at midday, a previous 50/50 chance of light showers have now increased to 70 per cent with a light wind that will be head onto the drivers down the start/finish straight.

Temperatures remain low around just under 20 degrees Celsius and while the sun could make an appearance for the actual sprint race at 4.30pm, the likelihood is that light showers will remain throughout Saturday's running.

Sunday

Like in Canada, race day could be where the conditions are at their best from 3pm. However, as the week has gone on there's been a growing risk of storms around the time the lights go out – with around a 50% chance of thundery showers now predicted.

The wind is expected to turn again to a light breeze towards the south, meaning a headlong wind for the drivers as they exit turn one and race up towards the tight turn three to the right after the slight kink of turn two.

RE: 2023 Austrian GP - PapaofGags - 29-06-2023

Red Bull have revealed that Sergio Perez is a doubt for the Austrian Grand Prix, after the Mexican was absent
from the circuit on Thursday with illness.

Edit: Sergio Perez “Last night I wasn’t feeling good, so we decided to go straight to the hotel in Austria
to have proper recovery time to be 100% tomorrow,” he stated on social media.

“See you at the track on Friday!”

Translation "No way I want Danny in my car!"    Laughing

RE: 2023 Austrian GP - Westie - 29-06-2023

Yep - can just imagine the stress he's under. Perform or else... oh and you won't have the same tools at your fingertips...you are not the preferred driver in this team!

Under these circumstances I might well find myself ill as well.