F1 Banter Online Forums
2023 Spanish GP - Printable Version

+- F1 Banter Online Forums (https://www.f1banter.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Formula 1 Discussions (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: F1 General Discussion Board (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: 2023 Race Threads (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+---- Thread: 2023 Spanish GP (/showthread.php?tid=878)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

2023 Spanish GP - PapaofGags - 01-06-2023

An interesting weekend hopefully.

Alpine are bullish about getting among the fight for the final podium positions behind Red Bull.

"I fully expect to be in front of Mercedes and with Ferrari at the next race," sporting director Alan Permane said, while also confirming another upgrade will be on the Alpine in Barcelona with these teams bringing updates..

"Ferrari will be introducing a substantial upgrade to their inconsistent SF23 car, having had to delay its introduction with the Emilia Romagna GP's cancellation"

"I hope that we will do a step forward in Barcelona but it won't be the end of the development for the car."

"Aston Martin will be introducing the second half of an upgrade that was initially due in Imola at the Spanish GP."

Aston Martin will be introducing the second half of an upgrade that was initially due in Imola at the Spanish GP.

The question is whether these updates will offset the advances Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari have made and see them move closer to the championship leaders or be fighting to get on the podium at all.

The big intrigue heading to Barcelona is how Mercedes' upgrades to their W14 will truly perform.

"Initially scheduled for the cancelled Emilia Romagna GP, Mercedes debuted their new bodywork, floor and front suspension in Monaco."

"Mercedes find themselves only a point behind Aston Martin in the battle for second in the constructors' championship despite appearing to have the fourth-fastest car on pure pace so far in 2023"

RE: 2023 Spanish GP - NeilP - 01-06-2023

Speaking as a Mercedes fan I think there will be improvements in performance but only in relation to their past performances. Will that bring them any closer to Red Bull?  I highly doubt it. RBR are not standing still waiting for people to catch up with them they are improving their car too.  Aston and Ferrari are not standing still either. Top end speed aside I don't think there is much to choose between Aston, Ferrari and Mercedes.

Its too much to hope for that teams will catch up with Red Bull. That may take another two seasons after this one and of course them we will be embracing more changes.

Spain can be a very boring race but it is one of attrition and could find out some mechanical weaknesses in the cars. Not sure whether anyone will be voluntarily taking new engines for this as its generally speaking not a power circuit. That said the obvious and most often used place to overtake is into turn one.  Based on the last few races I wonder if they will mess about with the DRS zone for this race.

Red Bull and Verstappen have to be favourites to win, nothing new there,  the interest will be in places 2-8 in my book.  I will for sure be in chat for qualifying and the race and will try to get there for P2. P1 and P3 are not interesting enough for me to get up early for!!!!

RE: 2023 Spanish GP - forzaferrari - 01-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 02:07 PM)NeilP Wrote:   That said the obvious and most often used place to overtake is into turn one.  Based on the last few races I wonder if they will mess about with the DRS zone for this race.

I read (today) although the final chicane has been removed the drs zones will remain the same as in previous years.

edit: thats not to say someone in power might have a brain wave overnight and make changes tomorrow morning lol

RE: 2023 Spanish GP - PapaofGags - 01-06-2023

Spanish Grand Prix weather forecast.

Friday

According to Met Office reports, both Friday practice sessions are expected to remain dry albeit run with a mixture of sunny and cloudy spells.

While there was previously reported to be a 30% chance of showers, the probability of this had decreased to just 10% but it now looks to remain dry.

Saturday

Qualifying on Saturday is expected to be similar to Friday's conditions, with temperatures hovering around 20 and 21 degrees Celsius but expected to get warmer as the evening draws in.

The chances of showers have been reported for much of the week but heading towards the weekend they are still only meant to be around 20 per cent maximum with the threat expected to decrease through the session..

Sunday

The biggest threat of rain is expected on race day with a 40 per cent chance of the elements falling ahead of the start of the race. However this is expected to clear once the action gets going but there is still a 20 per cent chance of showers during the race according to the BBC.

Weather.com believe it will be slightly more gloomy on the day, with overcast skies and the potential for a storms as well.

Wind is not expected to be too much of a problem with just a light breeze expected heading from a south east direction towards the drivers as they run down the long main straight.

RE: 2023 Spanish GP - Westie - 02-06-2023

So seeing all the news about teams bringing upgrades I was thinking how if we could negate Red Bull from the grid we'd actually have a very interesting series on our hands at the moment.

Aston leading the grid with a slight advantage which ebbs and flows based on track -let down by unequal driver pairing
Ferrari probably quickest over one lap but struggling to convert that to full race due to it's appetite for tyres and brilliant but flawed driver pairing
Merc being ridiculed for having a shyte car... .but never far from if not on the podium due to equal driver treatment (2 good drivers) and ability to make the best of what they have.
Alpine showing flashes of promise and beginning to get amongst it at certain races let down by ancient tech, decent drivers but one driver yet to come up to speed in new team.

Can't we find a way to simply give red bull the championship and tell them not to bother turning up for any more races.... it would be excellent!

RE: 2023 Spanish GP - pennywise - 02-06-2023

After watching FP1 I feel even more disheartened than I thought I would. Max will destroy the field here. He has 0.800 tenths per lap advantage when he is just leisurely driving around, no pushing the car or the tyres .....just coasting.

Id even go as far to say if he pushed the limit to that Redbull he could have 1.5 sec advantage over the rest as I feel he and his team have never unleased that car past the 90% mark of its full potential for fear of FIA rule changes.

When other teams will catch up is a mystery, and by the time they do Redbull will have something even better because no one has the brains or vision like Newey has.

Ok so Q1 was disappointing though Devries was 4th so no point in putting too much stock in any of those timings except of course for Red Bull who are again just embarrassing everyone else.

I have never tried the onboard view prior to today but I tried it today and watched Russell's lap to ninth (couldn't get Hamilton's to work) and he didn't look like he was even trying.

no one else joining chat this afternoon

RE: 2023 Spanish GP - morini - 02-06-2023

(02-06-2023, 04:11 PM)Westie Wrote:  no one else joining chat  this afternoon

Sorry buddy, couldn't watch live today. I'll try to be in chat for quali (though the result is a forgone conclusion).

RE: 2023 Spanish GP - forzaferrari - 02-06-2023

Sorry Westie...family stuff took priority today, I too should be around for quali.