F1 Banter Online Forums
Audi and Porsche to enter F1 - Printable Version

+- F1 Banter Online Forums (https://www.f1banter.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Formula 1 Discussions (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: F1 General Discussion Board (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Audi and Porsche to enter F1 (/showthread.php?tid=814)

Audi and Porsche to enter F1 - NeilP - 03-05-2022

Sounds amazing....

But it is not in my view.

Neither are going to being a new team into F1, Porsche are said to be teaming up with Red Bull and Audi are trying to buy out an existing team and have been approaching according to what I have read, McLaren, Aston Martin, Sauber and Williams.  I wonder if the $200 Million buy in price tag has anything to do with that. Maybe, maybe not its a lot of money but I guess not to those companies.

I frequently tell you guys I know very little about F1 other than what I can see with my own eyes and figure out with my own brain (of which both are unreliable these days) but I have had the distinct impression for some time now that  Liberty have been manipulating the sport towards getting these specific companies on board with F1.

Its hard for me to be positive about pretty much anything in my life right now yet alone sport so maybe that is clouding my perspective.

Lets hear some of yours...

RE: Audi and Porsche to enter F1 - forzaferrari - 03-05-2022

Also rumours circulating Merc will be an engine supplier only in 2025

RE: Audi and Porsche to enter F1 - NeilP - 03-05-2022

(03-05-2022, 09:27 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Also rumours circulating Merc will be an engine supplier only in 2025

You Know Forza I almost wrote that myself.  I could see Audi taking over Mercedes F1 team but I lacked the courage of my convictions although I do not know why it is such a select audience on here. I absolutely can see Mercedes becoming Audi and to be honest I would not be totally shocked if Mercedes completely pulled out of F1. I really do not know how being an engine supplier only would suit their stature in the world of motor cars or the purpose because I do not think they could possibly make any money from the venture and at that stage they would be the only engine manufacturer without a team which makes no sense to me.

Like I said before and will many times again F1 is changing and its not what old timers like me are used to. Maybe, just maybe it needs to change in a world that is changing so fast I dont even want to be around too much longer to witness it.  In a world that was once 5% Black, 5% White and 90% Gray its horrific to watch it becoming simply Black and White. I am seeing that in most areas of life and it make me want puke.

RE: Audi and Porsche to enter F1 - PaddyB - 03-05-2022

(03-05-2022, 03:30 PM)NeilP Wrote:  
(03-05-2022, 09:27 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Also rumours circulating Merc will be an engine supplier only in 2025

You Know Forza I almost wrote that myself.  I could see Audi taking over Mercedes F1 team but I lacked the courage of my convictions although I do not know why it is such a select audience on here. I absolutely can see Mercedes becoming Audi and to be honest I would not be totally shocked if Mercedes completely pulled out of F1. I really do not know how being an engine supplier only would suit their stature in the world of motor cars or the purpose because I do not think they could possibly make any money from the venture and at that stage they would be the only engine manufacturer without a team which makes no sense to me.

Like I said before and will many times again F1 is changing and its not what old timers like me are used to. Maybe, just maybe it needs to change in a world that is changing so fast I dont even want to be around too much longer to witness it.  In a world that was once 5% Black, 5% White and 90% Gray its horrific to watch it becoming simply Black and White. I am seeing that in most areas of life and it make me want puke.

I might regret saying this but given the rivalry between Audi, BMW and Mercedes in their road/premium cars, I can't see an Audi F1 car being powered by a Mercedes engine, it would give the impression that Audi couldn't do their own power unit. 

To some extent that might not fit the story that they have spoken to Aston and McLaren but I wouldn't see the PR benefit of "Audi (powered by Mercedes)" for their marketing team and at the end of the day this is all about marketing for them. They couldn't stop winning in Le-Man with Hybrid Diesels but PR dropped off as a result so they pulled out.

Given it is the same company though (VW, Audi, Porsche) , I could see a "McLaren powered by Audi" where the "Porsche-badged Honda/RBR" was put in other "VW brand" cars with a branding badge on the engine (remember the Tag Hauer Honda engine!). They also own brands like Lamborghini (Alpha Tauri perhaps) and Bentley as well as Ducati and the less premium like SEAT, Skoda, Scania, Cupra.

In terms of the engine tech, that seems a bit of a sore point at the moment for Merc as they look to be poorer than RBR(Honda) or Ferrari, not sure about Renault yet.

RE: Audi and Porsche to enter F1 - forzaferrari - 03-05-2022

Personally I dont see Merc supplying any of these new teams either & just continuing with current customers.......that is if they do indeed pull out of running a works team.
On the plus side, should they decide to recoup the war chest and bugger off from the sport I can go back to wearing any freebie Merc clothing without have the piss taken out of me.

RE: Audi and Porsche to enter F1 - NeilP - 04-05-2022

I can go back to wearing any freebie Merc clothing without have the piss taken out of me.

Banter Translation Services: I can wear my Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes Coat, Polo Shirts (Plural) Dress shirts, Baseball caps and Athletic trousers without any Urine extraction.

Thank goodness for Translations I say!

RE: Audi and Porsche to enter F1 - PapaofGags - 04-05-2022

(03-05-2022, 09:42 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:   I can go back to wearing Merc clothing 

Things you thought you would never hear............ thanks to Papa's editing lol  Laughing

RE: Audi and Porsche to enter F1 - Westie - 31-08-2022

(03-05-2022, 02:47 AM)NeilP Wrote:  Sounds amazing....

But it is not in my view.

Neither are going to being a new team into F1, Porsche are said to be teaming up with Red Bull and Audi are trying to buy out an existing team and have been approaching according to what I have read, McLaren, Aston Martin, Sauber and Williams.  I wonder if the $200 Million buy in price tag has anything to do with that. Maybe, maybe not its a lot of money but I guess not to those companies.

I frequently tell you guys I know very little about F1 other than what I can see with my own eyes and figure out with my own brain (of which both are unreliable these days) but I have had the distinct impression for some time now that  Liberty have been manipulating the sport towards getting these specific companies on board with F1.

Its hard for me to be positive about pretty much anything in my life right now yet alone sport so maybe that is clouding my perspective.

Lets hear some of yours...

We are now a few months on and whilst we may question why F1 are trying to bring on board the VW group we now know that Sauber will be Audi's entry and there seems to be some interesting stuff going on with the Red Bull Powertrains marry up with Porsche. Looks to me as if we actually won't end up with any additional manufacturers here unless Audi are going to produce an engine.... and whilst that may be diserable to some... why would the VW Group have 2 engine manufacturers in F1. Also, if lets say they did, how would Red Bull Powertrains respond to having Porsche looking over their shoulders potentially giving away the IC to Audi.

I suspect that other than a rebadged Sauber (away from Alfa over to Audi) and from the looks of it a Red Bull Power Trains in a limited partnership with Porsche what we will get is ultimately Sauber moving over to Red Bull Power Trains if Porsche are partnered and that's about it. Actually their impact on the face of it is really very small and becomes a branding exercise.

Lets face it Alfa Romeo are hardly making huge inroads to developing their own tech and charging into realms of the unknown in F1 tech... they are just a colour scheme for a Ferrari B team. In fact all this appears to be is the march of B Teams. RBR will have not only Alpha Tauri but also Sauber Audi in it's stable with some sponsorship dosh from the VW Group to help soften the blow.

What for you might ask.... well, do we expect Merc to continue ad infinitum? There were rumours that Merc were looking to withdraw whilst they were winning... just how many years will they hang around if this years little voyage of discovery does not return them to winning ways either in the second half of the season or next?

So netting another huge manufacturer may simply be a way of shoring up F1's future should Merc decide enough is enough. Also, just how long is Alpine's 99 race plan? It feels as though as long as I've been watching F1 Renault have had a plan in execution to get them to the front of the grid and you could say that the rebranding to Alpine is them throwing up the hands in defeat handing over the reigns to a lesser known brand whilst they quietly exit and simply return to engine manufacture (which is exactly what they have done).

Unless someone puts a fuel/engine on the table that pumps out oxygen and consumes carbon dioxide (Hydrogen?) then I can't see that in 5/7 years any of the large manufacturers will be all that interested in the internal combustion side of the powertrain.... the relevance in our own lives given the prevelance of everything Electric is fast making us all feel like we are personally responsible for flooding and wiping out Indian ocean and Pacific Ocean island races because of the sport we like to watch. (I drove up the M6 this weekend and the number of Electric cars on the road was quite staggering..........though I have to admit there are still a majority of us flooding those island nations.)

Anyway - my 50 pence for what's it's worth is that we end up with nothing new other than some branding changes.....which would actually be a shame.

RE: Audi and Porsche to enter F1 - forzaferrari - 26-10-2022