F1 Banter Online Forums
2021 British GP - Printable Version

+- F1 Banter Online Forums (https://www.f1banter.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Formula 1 Discussions (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: F1 General Discussion Board (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: 2021 Race Threads (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Thread: 2021 British GP (/showthread.php?tid=752)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: 2021 British GP - PapaofGags - 17-07-2021

(17-07-2021, 06:49 PM)pennywise Wrote:  
(17-07-2021, 06:05 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Ive been having a good mooch through ye old social media..........it seems as many liked the new format as disliked it, would hazard a damn good guess those who enjoyed today are newbies/casual viewers of the sport whereas the nay sayers are us diehard fans who follow and enjoy all the traditions and sessions.

Thing is (unfortunately) it doesnt matter one jot what we fans of the sport thinks........its a numbers game........more people tuning in means more dosh and will be the deciding factor if this format, or other gimmicks like it, get the green light down the road.

I though it was shit really.......Bradley Walsh will be presenting next

Not much to say ^^^ mostly covers it for me.

Just to add as you all know I don't like it, quote Max "we all want to be fastest over a lap"

Quali is mega important to drivers & fans, we all love "that lap" from Senna as just one example.

I don't want to lose qualifying as I feel its to important.

#LeaveF1Alone

RE: 2021 British GP - forzaferrari - 17-07-2021

I think we fans all agree Paps.......leave what is usually the best part of a race weekend well alone.......go find something else to tinker with!......a lot of the drivers seem to like it though...Lewis for example

"This weekend has been awesome in terms of… Yesterday was such a fun day, to have qualifying on a Friday, way more enjoyable. I don’t know whether that was the most exciting or not but we should do more like that, maybe a different version of it in future, because it just makes the weekend more enjoyable."

Enjoy the racing tomorrow lads, catch you later in the day.

RE: 2021 British GP - NeilP - 17-07-2021

As you get older life is about changes and generally speaking the older you get the less you like them.

That is how I feel about not just the change in qualification format but about F1 in general. I do not consider myself a die hard F1 guy I mean I really enjoy it but it is not my number one sport. Was qualification today any better than usual? Not really in my opinion. Did it add to overall attraction of F1? Probably. The problem us older folks and die hard fans need to face up to is it is going to change and there is nothing we can do about it (Said in the manner of the Architects voice from the Matrix).

Embracing change is never easy I mean I wish the Intro to F1 was still Fleetwood Mac's The Chain with the video of Nigel Mansell and Ayrton Senna on the home straight at the 1991 Spanish GP. The thrill of the fastest lap is still there and should still be the benchmark for Pole postition, instead it is now a half way house to that coveted position.

In the bigger picture there are other issues with the sport I am more concerned about which I have covered in other posts but to precis those thoughts I do not like equality and average abilities I like to see excellence. I fear those times are fast coming to an end. F1 will always be exciting to me as long as there is some British involvement. As much as I am a fan of Hamilton and Mercedes I can see me being equally passionate about Lando Norris and George Russell. I admire people who follow teams rather than individual drivers. It is not for me. I am a mercenary of sorts where F1 is concerned.

This season has an air of inevitability about it but is that in of itself a surprise? I think not. It has been this way for the last 7/8 years. There is a new kid on the block and he is now the leader of the gang. Are we seeing a transition of the old champion/s to the new? Absolutely we are. It is always this way in life as much as it is in F1. I am sure the future is safe in the hands of some outstanding young talent. The sad part about that is only a few will get the top seat in the best cars. I guess that is the main purpose of Liberty Media's intent; to level the playing field and make it more attractive to those who do not care about the storied history, technical excellence and rivalries. They just want to see new winners every week and some gamble on the outcome which is not really good when only the few can win the race.

It is not really for me, at least not in F1. You see I am too old to stay with changes I do not like. I hope it keeps its main DNA for a bit longer because I want it to. I want to see the boundries pushed to the limit. I want to see the most progressive team be rewarded. I want to see the best drivers win races.

Oh well, as I say to others at times the sun will rise in the East tomorrow that you can count on!

RE: 2021 British GP - PapaofGags - 18-07-2021

The FIA has confirmed Sergio Perez will start the British Grand Prix from the pitlane after his Red Bull Formula 1 team made changes to his car.

Red Bull has taken the opportunity to make significant changes to the car which mean that he has to start in the pitlane, rather than from last place on the grid.

Perez will be the only driver to have been able to make such changes since parc ferme rules were applied to all the cars after the FP1 session on Friday.

The team hopes that the revised set-up will give Perez the pace to be able to overtake and move up the order in today’s race. 

The biggest change is a different specification of rear wing.

(17-07-2021, 09:51 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I think we fans all agree Paps.......leave what is usually the best part of a race weekend well alone.......go find something else to tinker with!......a lot of the drivers seem to like it though...Lewis for example

"This weekend has been awesome in terms of… Yesterday was such a fun day, to have qualifying on a Friday, way more enjoyable. I don’t know whether that was the most exciting or not but we should do more like that, maybe a different version of it in future, because it just makes the weekend more enjoyable."

Enjoy the racing tomorrow lads, catch you later in the day.

Yeah bud I saw that....... also saw "Hamilton calls for two-day F1 weekends"      Shutup

Disagree with him on both counts, I just wish they would leave F1 alone, maybe I'm a Dinosaur...

Watching with Gag's as usual, enjoy the British GP peoples.   Big Grin

RE: 2021 British GP - pennywise - 18-07-2021

Sour grapes from Horner....his driver is the most aggressive and dangerous on the grid.

RE: 2021 British GP - NeilP - 18-07-2021

Biggest load of bollocks I have ever heard from a team leader. Ian you nailed it Max is by far the most dangerous driver on the grid today he got a taste of his own medicine. Anyone remember Baku when he pulled in front of his own team mate and caused a MAJOR accident ? Get real Horner you have no credibility with me. People are equally divided between Racing incident and Hamiltons fault that tells you everything. Is it a coincidence Hamilton overtook LeClerc on the same corner you know the one Horner says nobody ever does.

Man I hate that ********** Team they are shitty in the extreme.

EDIT: For the record Verstappen did not take a penalty in that Baku Incident but a simple reprimand and this has been what has happened his whole career he is never treated as the other drivers and hence he thinks he can do anything. Well Karma got him today not that I have anything against Max the driver but yes I hate that team I hope he moves to Ferrari or Mercedes one day and I can get behind him.

RE: 2021 British GP - pennywise - 18-07-2021

A 10 sec penalty and still wins but CLC who Hamilton chased down and over took is DOTD....Not for me...no brainer

Most importantly Max is ok.

World class drive today from Charles, leading for 50 laps & almost win in a car that's at best the third best car, impressive.

Bottas did the team a favour, wonder if that will be considered in contract talks, Lewis acknowledged he couldn't have won today without his help.   (still want George) 

We were hoping for Lando to get a podium, didn't happen but ahead of Danny again.

We all wanted Lewis & Max to fight, but not to end like this.

(4) Hamilton and Verstappen collision analysed! ? | Sky Pad Analysis - YouTube      (3m 38s)

Ok Max v Lewis, ^^^ this sums it up for me, clearly Lewis is alongside Max & has earned room, Max has the whole track on his left but chose to turn in, I don't blame him for being aggressive all the greats have this in them, though after Italy & Spain, (both times I thought racing incident) with over a 30pt lead did it not occur to Max Lewis has been pushed around & was likely to put his flag in the ground, at Silverstone? I think Lewis had to keep his foot in/go for it otherwise Max will do it non stop Lewis has to stand up for himself, having seen the video with Karun I don't think it even was a penalty, a first lap racing incident. no blame just two drivers fighting.

Quote from Lewis in Press briefing.

“I managed for a long time to get around without colliding with someone, but when someone is just too aggressive these things are bound to happen.
“There’s not a single driver here who doesn’t know how aggressive a driver he can be.
“There’s not really much more for me to say – I hope he’s okay because I would love to have a wheel-to-wheel battle for a whole race.
“I enjoy racing with him and I’m looking forward. I would never back down from anyone and naturally not be bullied into being less aggressive.
“I think this weekend we needed the points, there was a gap, he left a gap and I went for it.”

Like I said most importantly Max is ok, which ever side or the fence we are on...... exciting init       Wink

The Bull is still a quick car, but its going to swing back & forth from track to track I hope, I still think Max is favorite but as a Brit I hope I'm wrong....again. 

Last word, Christian & "the Helmut" confirmed to me today why I think them a pair of bell ends....

RE: 2021 British GP - NeilP - 18-07-2021

Probably the most controversial race we have had for a very long time and whether as a fan of either Verstappen or Hamilton it will almost certainly dictate your opinion.

On one hand we have the Red Bull version of events that basically led to Christian Horner all but calling for the summary execution of Lewis Hamilton without a trial as if he had just killed 15 unborn children. Helmut Marko calling for a one race ban just is further evidence of his inability to understand F1 racing. Sure you have to stand up for your team but really Helmut!!!

On the other side we have Toto Wolff diagraming the move via email as if it was the most innocent thing since the Profumo affair. There is enough blame to go around.

As is really always the case the truth whilst being hidden from view of the fans following each driver/team lies somewhere in between. I can truly see both sides but I think the comments being made are more of a result of the huge swing in fortune and points totals it has made to each Championship rather than the incident itself. To me I had it down as a racing incident. It was the third time they touched wheels on the lap.

Verstappen was out of position nearly all through the lap and was trying to make sure Lewis stayed behind him. Could Lewis have backed out? Yes, absolutely. Could Max have been less aggressive pushing him up against the wall, absolutely. Could Max have given him more room on the corner? Again yes.

Okay now my Hamilton fanhood is coming out. This has been coming for a longtime and is frankly about three seasons or more overdue. Verstappen has gotten away with Blue murder since he “Breathed a breathe of fresh air” into the sport and no those are not my chosen words but echo the comments of many commentators. I am not going back to list all his indiscretions but a short history. Raikkonen in Spain. Raikkonen at Spa. Ricciardo at Baku and lets get more up to date as many reporters have brought up. This year. Hamilton at Monza. Hamilton at Barcelona. Both times Max was responsible for wheel to wheel contact the result NOTHING!

I have stated this on several occasions but his lack of being penalized especially early in his career has led to him thinking that he can do pretty much anything and get away with it. An overstatement, maybe. However it is on point and the proof is there for all to see.

Leading when you are expected to win is not easy. Driving with the responsibility you need to show also is not easy. Max has not learned those lessons and it is why I always say much to the chagrin of many I am sure that Hamilton is the superior driver. Its not that close.

What should absolutely be getting some attention in the next few days is the Red Bull reaction and commentary. It is much too much, much too aggressive and in my opinion Horner and indeed Marco owe Hamilton a public apology for their words. Will it happen? I highly doubt it. The FIA on the other hand should absolutely get involved they (Red Bull) went way over the line.

Whatever you point of view and no matter which side of the fence your basket of eggs sit on it was good for F1 overall. I honestly do not think much has changed I think Red Bull/Max Verstappen are still the overwhelming favourites for the WDC. The WCC I am not so sure. I don't rate Perez as highly as some of you do. Again that is just my personal opinion.

The big thing to watch in the coming races in my view will be how Max reacts to the incident. First and foremost I hope he is fine and just badly shaken up. We do not need to see any injuries in this sport if possible but the danger was there to see again today. Hamilton sent Max a message today and it was simply this. “I can play hard ball too Max” and now I am the chaser I have nothing to lose just as you have not in the past.

Take from it all what you will.

The race itself was okay not great. What was great was the drive by Hamilton to win the race. The way he reeled in Leclerc at the end was nothing short of sensational and even if you are of the opinion he should not have been in that position that does not detract form the performance itself.

I thought Ferrari and McLaren would give us a good race and they did. Leclerc was outstanding. Sainz and Norris were set back by poor pit stops which in my opinion ultimately allowed Hamilton the opportunity to win. Had he been behind those two its doubtful he could have won. A good race from Ricciardo and indeed by Alonso. All things being said this race will only be remembered for the Hamilton and Verstappen clash and the exchanges will get worse before they get better I am sure.

I just read that Max Verstappen is very upset at the fact there were celebrations after the race and that they were "disrespectful"

Just like I said the guy is too entittled and that is a mantra that comes from the Red Bull organization.