F1 Banter Online Forums
2020 Spanish GP - Printable Version

+- F1 Banter Online Forums (https://www.f1banter.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Formula 1 Discussions (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: F1 General Discussion Board (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: 2020 Race Threads (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Thread: 2020 Spanish GP (/showthread.php?tid=667)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: 2020 Spanish GP - Jody Barton - 15-08-2020

If it is Honda it flies generally in the face of the Japanese mentality of fair play. Mercedes engines have been the most scrutinised in the sport. They regularly have provided full CAD plans to the FIA because other teams have queried their advantage. I would genuinely be shocked if Mercedes have been cheating, because how the hell have they snook it by the FIA? They have literally had to give the FIA an engine at the start of the season for them to pour over and scrutinize, it'd be embarrassing to Mercedes, but maybe moreso the FIA technical team. If it is Renault then I think weight see them drop out again. Can't find the original article though.

RE: 2020 Spanish GP - morini - 15-08-2020

(15-08-2020, 12:56 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  
  • I cant see it being Ferrari because i would expect that the FIA were all over it last year during the "investigation" which has never been published and i also think that the politics would be not to force additional pain onto the red team at the moment unless one of the other teams has decided to go for a bit of "kick em while they are down".
  • If it was Merc then i would have expected the amount of scrutiny it has had to have been seen before now.
  • Honda is a possible but it would be a major loss of face to them and i would worry about it being enough (if it drops them back a lot again) to pull out of F1 altogether.
  • Renault would be my most likely simply because i think they don't have a lot of friends at the moment and no-one is using their engines next year.

Serious question, has there ever been a season with more bitching, moaning and unsporting envious behaviour than this one? I can't think of one!

First you get DAS, very innovative (and legal) RBR bitch and moan because they didn't think of it. FIA clears it as legal but because Mercedes are fast enough anyway they ban it from next year. Then you get RP basing their 2020 car on the best 2019 car. Other teams don't like it, so they bitch and moan ignoring the fact that they all do exactly the same thing themselves. Then, because Mercedes are a second quicker in qualifying the FIA decide, out of the blue, to take away switchable engine maps (even though they have been used since year dot). Realising that won't be enough they call into question the legality of the Mercedes PU (I'm making the assumption that this recent rumour is targeting the best on the grid).

I love F1 as it is the most technically brilliant sport. But the politics gets right on my tits.

Is it targeting Mercedes though Morini? We don't know that it is. I've not seen the original article, but if there is a whistleblower I'd assume someone is in a bit of trouble, or maybe it's something they've all been doing.

(15-08-2020, 01:10 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Is it targeting Mercedes though Morini? We don't know that it is. I've not seen the original article, but if there is a whistleblower I'd assume someone is in a bit of trouble, or maybe it's something they've all been doing.

I'm assuming it is, purely based on the recent nonsense from the FIA over quali modes. Am I the only one getting the vibe that LM don't like Mercedes being this far out front?

RE: 2020 Spanish GP - forzaferrari - 15-08-2020

(15-08-2020, 01:03 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  If it is Honda it flies generally in the face of the Japanese mentality of fair play. Mercedes engines have been the most scrutinised in the sport. They regularly have provided full CAD plans to the FIA because other teams have queried their advantage. I would genuinely be shocked if Mercedes have been cheating, because how the hell have they snook it by the FIA? They have literally had to give the FIA an engine at the start of the season for them to pour over and scrutinize, it'd be embarrassing to Mercedes, but maybe moreso the FIA technical team. 

You are giving them waaaaay to much credit Jody, remember they had the Ferrari engine and ancillaries stripped/scrutinized on at least 2 separate occasions, even brought in outside resources to find what Ferrari were up to last year, found absolutely feck all they could prove at a hearing and ended up having to ASK Ferrari following the end of season resulting in the "agreement".

Maybe I am Forza, they were smart enough to put the second sensor in after seeing Ferrari's engine right? They've literally been camped inside the Mercedes engine factory since 2014. Masi said last year that Mercedes have been the most scrutinised team in the sport last year, maybe that was hyperbole, but there is that sense in the sport that the FIA have always gone over the Merc with a fine toothed comb. If they've missed something then people at the FIA will need replacing.

Do you have the link to the news article Forza, I can't find it.

(15-08-2020, 01:19 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Maybe I am Forza, they were smart enough to put the second sensor in after seeing Ferrari's engine right? They've literally been camped inside the Mercedes engine factory since 2014. Masi said last year that Mercedes have been the most scrutinised team in the sport last year, maybe that was hyperbole, but there is that sense in the sport that the FIA have always gone over the Merc with a fine toothed comb. If they've missed something then people at the FIA will need replacing.

Do you have the link to the news article Forza, I can't find it.

You guys seem to be discussing this as if whoever has been "whistleblown" is guilty of something. First, like you say we don't have any detail of which team is under scrutiny. I was only suggesting it was Merc because LM are so hell bent on slowing them down.

The main stream media isn't reporting any of this. It will be that toby sensationalist bloke on twitter I guess.

Be nice if I could find the original source. Nothing on FIA directives either so, I'm calling it bollocks for now until I see an official FIA request published as the sports directives mandate.

(15-08-2020, 01:27 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Be nice if I could find the original source. Nothing on FIA directives either so, I'm calling it bollocks for now until I see an official FIA request published as the sports directives mandate.

Probably best.

Twitter isn't a news source.

If the FIA have made a formal request of any team they have to publish the request. So if they've not published a request of this nature already for the 21st it's a little unorthodox shall we say. Doesn't mean a request isn't incoming, but I'm now saying it's hearsay rather than fact. We saw the requests made to Ferrari last year all published 10 days before deadlines. Ditto this season with RP and those break ducts. Sooooo... hmm.