F1 Banter Online Forums
2020 70th Anniversary GP - Printable Version

+- F1 Banter Online Forums (https://www.f1banter.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Formula 1 Discussions (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: F1 General Discussion Board (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: 2020 Race Threads (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Thread: 2020 70th Anniversary GP (/showthread.php?tid=661)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: 2020 70th Anniversary GP - morini - 09-08-2020

Anyone doing chat today?

RE: 2020 70th Anniversary GP - Monster Hesh - 09-08-2020

Posting to try and jinx some action into this race.

Is this it, till the end.

(09-08-2020, 02:20 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Posting to try and jinx some action into this race.

Is this it, till the end.

Dunno what you were watching? It was a gripping race IMO. Well done Max and RBR, like Ian said, they won it on Saturday.

RE: 2020 70th Anniversary GP - Jody Barton - 09-08-2020

Bottas griping about strategy, but he made the calls apparently. He pulled the trigger on the first pit stop, and was pushing for the second, Lewis asked if he could try something different and made it work, like Lewis does. I like Bottas, driving alongside Lewis he has become a much, much better driver, but again today he showed why he'll never win a WDC. I just don't think it's in his blood. When it comes to stick or twist decisions his instinct is always to go for the wrong option.

Max drove brilliantly today, and thoroughly deserved the win, however my driver of the day has to be Leclerc, another fantastic drive today to get that hunk of red junk to P4 while on a 1 stopper, he briefly worried Bottas as well. Other teams that'll not want high temps / PSI next weekend include McLaren, Renault and Racing Point. Is it the same tyre choices next weekend in Barcelona?

RE: 2020 70th Anniversary GP - PapaofGags - 09-08-2020

All Hail Max Fantastic win.   Big Grin  

"NO! I don't want to drive like a Grandma"    Cool

(09-08-2020, 04:59 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Bottas griping about strategy, but he made the calls apparently. He pulled the trigger on the first pit stop, and was pushing for the second, Lewis asked if he could try something different and made it work, like Lewis does. I like Bottas, driving alongside Lewis he has become a much, much better driver, but again today he showed why he'll never win a WDC. I just don't think it's in his blood. When it comes to stick or twist decisions his instinct is always to go for the wrong option.

Max drive brilliantly today, and thoroughly deserved the win, however my driver of the day has to be Leclerc, another fantastic drive today to get that hunk of red junk to P4 while on a 1 stopper, he briefly worried Bottas as well. Other teams that'll not want high temps / PSI next weekend include McLaren, Renault and Racing Point. Is it the same tyre choices next weekend in Barcelona?

No, according to Max there aren't any upcoming races with as soft tyres as this weekend. Besides, what I'm reading is implying Mercedes have too much downforce (how the hell can you have too much downforce?) and it's overheating the surface of the tyre because of the very high pressures. It didn't do it on Friday where it was a little cooler, so I'd say it caught them by surprise. Sounds odd to me anyway, but it is something they can improve via setup so I'd put money on it not being that bad again. F1 tyres running pressures like this isn't usual either, so I think all Merc need to be wary of is the combination of high track temps and high tyre pressures.

Pirelli only have an excuse to recommend high pressures at really fast / high load circuits, so if they recommend them elsewhere I think Mercedes will be calling "foul". Great job by Max and the RBR team today, but in reality it was equally about Mercedes inability to use pace because of their issues as it was about strategy. Lewis and Toto both said a win wasn't really on the cards. It is only VB who thinks otherwise.

(09-08-2020, 05:15 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  All Hail Max Fantastic win.   Big Grin  

"NO! I don't want to drive like a Grandma"    Cool

Yeah, he drove great today. Did exactly what he needed to do. Nobody could argue differently.

RE: 2020 70th Anniversary GP - Jody Barton - 09-08-2020

Historically Pirelli have tended to bring really hard tyres to Barcelona, but I'm not sure what they've chosen. Wouldn't put it past them to bring the C1, C2 and C3 to Spain to be honest and watch the problem swing to other way and teams not able to get heat into the tyres. Weather should be warm next weekend though as well, although maybe not quite as warm as today. The big winner today was yet again Lewis though. Maintains 30 point lead out front, one more race down, and a bigger gap to his only real rival, Bottas. He keeps this up and he'll be able to take an early vacation.

RE: 2020 70th Anniversary GP - PaddyB - 09-08-2020

CW of the day for me today goes to Herr Vettel.

Very bad start, sulky and lacklustre in the middle and might not get to the end of the season with his team if he embarasses them any more over the radio. Probably made to look worse by CLC as well to be honest.

Anyone have any other candidates with reasons? Most of the usual suspects have been relatively well behaved today.

Remember Helmut and Crofty don't count!

(09-08-2020, 06:23 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  Remember Helmut and Crofty don't count!

Bloody good job, they'd be fighting for it every weekend!