F1 Banter Online Forums
2020 70th Anniversary GP - Printable Version

+- F1 Banter Online Forums (https://www.f1banter.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Formula 1 Discussions (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: F1 General Discussion Board (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: 2020 Race Threads (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Thread: 2020 70th Anniversary GP (/showthread.php?tid=661)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: 2020 70th Anniversary GP - Antilochos - 09-08-2020

(09-08-2020, 06:23 PM)PaddyB Wrote:  CW of the day for me today goes to Herr Vettel.

Very bad start, sulky and lacklustre in the middle and might not get to the end of the season with his team if he embarasses them any more over the radio. Probably made to look worse by CLC as well to be honest.

Anyone have any other candidates with reasons? Most of the usual suspects have been relatively well behaved today.

Remember Helmut and Crofty don't count!

You might be right, Vettel was the worst today and the usual suspects (even Grosjean) did nothing terrible bad.

But I would give a more unusual kandidate a honourable mention. Bottas.
That guy starts on pole in the most beautiful car a team can give a driver.
Then that great car seems to eat tyres. He made his own calls for pitstops, he kills his tyres more than his teammate (and then think about how he was telling the world how his setup was better than Hamilton's), let himself very easy get overtaken by Verstappen and his teammate, but still manage to blame his team for sleeping on Verstappen!
Christ, there is nothing what the team could have done today to stop Verstappen from the win. Verstappen had yesterday already a win with strategy and today just drove perfectly. No, the only thing Bottas could have done is to maintain is position in front of his teammate. And he failed. That was his call for pits, that was him killing his tyres more than his teammate and that was him who lost the position to his teammate. Other way around, I just don't see this happening to Hamilton (loosing position to Bottas) if he was in that position, at least not without a fierce battle.
No, Bottas proved once again while he never be champion and that he should be thank Mercedes for giving him the highest he could ever get. Instead, he blames them...

RE: 2020 70th Anniversary GP - morini - 09-08-2020

(09-08-2020, 06:43 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  But I would give a more unusual kandidate a honourable mention. Bottas.
That guy starts on pole in the most beautiful car a team can give a driver.
Then that great car seems to eat tyres. He made his own calls for pitstops, he kills his tyres more than his teammate (and then think about how he was telling the world how his setup was better than Hamilton's), let himself very easy get overtaken by Verstappen and his teammate, but still manage to blame his team for sleeping on Verstappen!
Christ, there is nothing what the team could have done today to stop Verstappen from the win. Verstappen had yesterday already a win with strategy and today just drove perfectly. No, the only thing Bottas could have done is to maintain is position in front of his teammate. And he failed. That was his call for pits, that was him killing his tyres more than his teammate and that was him who lost the position to his teammate. Other way around, I just don't see this happening to Hamilton (loosing position to Bottas) if he was in that position, at least not without a fierce battle.
No, Bottas proved once again while he never be champion and that he should be thank Mercedes for giving him the highest he could ever get. Instead, he blames them...

I understand where you are coming from. A little bit harsh but I do kind of agree with you. I'm not sure VB was any worse at managing the problem as Lewis was very, very slow during the second stint. At one point he was 6 seconds behind VB and I thought he should pit at that point. However, the mark of a champion is to know when today is not your day and do everything you can to minimise the damage and to get the best possible result. Lewis is very good in this respect (as is Max) whereas Valtteri did not even accept that the win was gone today. I thought Lewis made a mistake staying out so long on the second set of tyres and I also thought Mercedes made a mistake by putting him on a second set of hards. I was completely wrong on both counts as Lewis was able to go hard, take second place and also fastest lap. Maximum damage limitation. That last set of hards were completely shot at the end though.

Stuff like that wins championships. VB needs to learn that lesson instead of pissing off his side of the garage.

RE: 2020 70th Anniversary GP - Jody Barton - 09-08-2020

According to the track tracker the biggest distance I can see Lewis dropped behind Bottas was 4.6 second's just before the second round of pitstops, but that was partly due to traffic on the lap as he 0.8 on that lap, but was back up to speed a lap later. I think Lewis was managing his tyres. He also said over the radio "unless they did something different the result would stay the same".

Either way, Mercedes gave Bottas the prime strategy and he couldn't make it work, and they gave Lewis a mountain to climb, firstly taking those Hards well past their best before date, and then secondly expecting him to make up the 11 second gap he had to. Bottas, which he comfortably did. On Sunday, yet again, out of the two Mercedes drivers Lewis was a step above.

RE: 2020 70th Anniversary GP - morini - 09-08-2020

(09-08-2020, 07:43 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  According to the track tracker the biggest distance I can see Lewis dropped behind Bottas was 4.6 second's just before the second round of pitstops, but that was partly due to traffic on the lap as he 0.8 on that lap, but was back up to speed a lap later. I think Lewis was managing his tyres. He also said over the radio "unless they did something different the result would stay the same".

Ah right, it must have been 6 seconds to Max at that point. Sometimes it's hard to tell if the deltas on the left of the screen are gaps between drivers or gap to leader. They swap it around a fair bit.

RE: 2020 70th Anniversary GP - Jody Barton - 09-08-2020

Yeah, he was Just over 6 seconds to Max at the same time thereabouts. Kinda hate the way they do that now, sometimes show gap to leader, and sometimes gap to car in front. Really screws up your view of what is happening.

RE: 2020 70th Anniversary GP - Antilochos - 09-08-2020

(09-08-2020, 07:52 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Yeah, he was Just over 6 seconds to Max at the same time thereabouts. Kinda hate the way they do that now, sometimes show gap to leader, and sometimes gap to car in front. Really screws up your view of what is happening.

Thought it was only me that was annoyed by it. They should use different colours or something, so they we immediately see a difference. Like for example white times are leader gaps and blue times are to car in front.

RE: 2020 70th Anniversary GP - PapaofGags - 10-08-2020

(09-08-2020, 07:49 PM)morini Wrote:  Sometimes it's hard to tell if the deltas on the left of the screen are gaps between drivers or gap to leader. They swap it around a fair bit.
(09-08-2020, 08:05 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  
(09-08-2020, 07:52 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Kinda hate the way they do that now, sometimes show gap to leader, and sometimes gap to car in front. Really screws up your view of what is happening.
Thought it was only me that was annoyed by it. They should use different colours or something, so they we immediately see a difference. Like for example white times are leader gaps and blue times are to car in front.

Thank you Gentlemen, today I was told to "stop whinging"    Dodgy   (like I ever whinge)   Wink

So happy to read this piss's everyone off, as Anti said I thought It was "only me"..... annoys the **** out of me.   Angry

RE: 2020 70th Anniversary GP - Jody Barton - 10-08-2020

No, it annoys the hell out of every F1 fan I know. Historically they've shown the gap between cars and then highlighted when they were showing gap to leaders. This stealth switching is really annoying. The worst race for it this season was Hungary, they switched it on an almost lap by lap basis, and at the end when I wanted to see whether Bottas would reel Max in it was infuriating. I'd do a hell of a lot differently if I were in charge of the graphics department.

RE: 2020 70th Anniversary GP - morini - 10-08-2020

Reading a Benon article on BBC (yeah, I know everyone thinks he's a know nothing tosser, myself included), but the closing section of the piece shows how level headed Max Verstappen is. He knows yesterdays result was driven by circumstances rather than a performance step up by RBR. I thought it was a very mature response.

Quote from article :

This F1 season is moving fast, and the teams are in action again at the Spanish Grand Prix this coming weekend.

The Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya is another track like Silverstone with long, high-speed corners that put a lot of energy into the tyres. And temperatures are forecast to be slightly hotter than they were on Sunday.

That could mean Red Bull are in the frame again. On the other hand, the tyre selection there will be the three hardest compounds available - as it was at Silverstone a week ago, when Mercedes dominated.

Verstappen said: "We just need to be happy but also to be realistic. We are still lacking pace in qualifying quite a bit so we need to sort that first as well.

"Of course we go back to harder tyres in Barcelona and on the harder tyres we are still quite a bit off, so I don't expect miracles there. It is a harder track on tyres but with these hard tyres you can push quite a bit.

"To fully close the gap will be very hard. Just today we were very good on tyres. When we go back to conservative tyres everywhere - most of the tracks we are doing a one-stop - it will be a bit harder for us. And then nobody has blistering that severe and you don't need to manage as much as we did today.

"Let's just enjoy this and then we will see again in Barcelona where we are."

RE: 2020 70th Anniversary GP - forzaferrari - 10-08-2020

Not long finished watching yesterdays race, Congrats to Max, done everything he needed in the race but more importantly on the Saturday in Q2, imo thats where the race win was determined and what left Merc on the back foot.
Great drive from CLC also with well deserved 4th, glad to see Albon putting in a solid performance with some great overtaking for 5th.