F1 Banter Online Forums
Ocon Officially back to Renault - Printable Version

+- F1 Banter Online Forums (https://www.f1banter.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Formula 1 Discussions (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: F1 General Discussion Board (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Ocon Officially back to Renault (/showthread.php?tid=588)

Pages: 1 2

Ocon Officially back to Renault - Jody Barton - 29-08-2019

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.ocon-secures-f1-return-with-renault-for-2020-replacing-hulkenberg.2yPUvnr19arALf4J0QULFL.html?fbclid=IwAR3jfl4EDwnumUsQAapWLCpFL5r_0noUm0vSTQqHq9yAnnu-uqllxbLhTxw

Ricciardo is a really big test for the guy, we'll see how good he really is I'm sure next season, I think he's the real deal.

RE: Ocon Officially back to Renault - NeilP - 29-08-2019

That certainly will start a chain of moves for next season someone will absolutely grab Hulkenburg. The bad news from my perspective is it almost certainly means Bottas will be at Mercedes.

So looking forward to the weekend I mean the cricket was amazing last week kind of put me on high but I do miss F1

RE: Ocon Officially back to Renault - Jody Barton - 29-08-2019

(29-08-2019, 03:11 PM)NeilP Wrote:  The bad news from my perspective is it almost certainly means Bottas will be at Mercedes.

Bottas was already confirmed for Mercedes.

RE: Ocon Officially back to Renault - Antilochos - 29-08-2019

Well, I wonder how he will hold up against Ricciardo. I know Jody thinks high of him, but I have serious doubts. He is good, but not on level with Verstappen, Leclerc or Norris (maybe Russel will join this line). My opinion that is.
Ocon did not impress me at any race, let alone it shows in the results against his teammate Perez. Perez is a good driver, but not a top driver. Ocon did well against him, but not impressive.

We will see, Ricciardo is without a doubt a top level driver and Ocon no rookie any more. Moment of truth for him if you ask me.

RE: Ocon Officially back to Renault - morini - 29-08-2019

(29-08-2019, 03:11 PM)NeilP Wrote:  That certainly will start a chain of moves for next season someone will absolutely grab Hulkenburg. The bad news from my perspective is it almost certainly means Bottas will be at Mercedes.

So looking forward to the weekend I mean the cricket was amazing last week kind of put me on  high but I do miss F1

Where does Hulk go apart from Haas though? I think his options are pretty limited. I guess Williams would take him but would he want that seat?

RE: Ocon Officially back to Renault - Antilochos - 29-08-2019

(29-08-2019, 08:09 PM)morini Wrote:  
(29-08-2019, 03:11 PM)NeilP Wrote:  That certainly will start a chain of moves for next season someone will absolutely grab Hulkenburg. The bad news from my perspective is it almost certainly means Bottas will be at Mercedes.

So looking forward to the weekend I mean the cricket was amazing last week kind of put me on  high but I do miss F1

Where does Hulk go apart from Haas though? I think his options are pretty limited. I guess Williams would take him but would he want that seat?

Although I think he has a pretty decent change for Haas (for sure they do not want to continue with the current duo and Hulkenberg seems the best driver available and is a calm head as well, just what they need), I am not sure if Alfa Romeo wants to keep Giovinazzi. I mean, his teammate is 8 in the standings and Giovinazzi only has both Williams drivers behind him (and just a single point against the 31 of his teammate). So there is that I think.
Very slim change for Red Bull, but I just don't see that happening.

RE: Ocon Officially back to Renault - morini - 29-08-2019

(29-08-2019, 07:15 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Well, I wonder how he will hold up against Ricciardo. I know Jody thinks high of him, but I have serious doubts. He is good, but not on level with Verstappen, Leclerc or Norris (maybe Russel will join this line). My opinion that is.
Ocon did not impress me at any race, let alone it shows in the results against his teammate Perez. Perez is a good driver, but not a top driver. Ocon did well against him, but not impressive.

We will see, Ricciardo is without a doubt a top level driver and Ocon no rookie any more. Moment of truth for him if you ask me.

I think Ocon will do ok against Dan Ricc. I thought he was better than Perez when at Force India and his performances in lower formulae say he's potentially in the same league as Verstappen and Leclerc. With the big caveat that it all depends on how he can develop once he gets in a race winning car. Basically we won't know for sure until he is in a top car. Mercedes rate him.

That said, I really thought LeClerc would do better than he has done (so far) in the Ferrari. He's shown glimpses of being top drawer but is making a lot of mistakes. Clearly quicker than Vettel though - in raw pace terms anyway (race days have been dodgier). Then again, Verstappen was crap in his first couple of seasons in a good car as well, so i won't get on CLC's back until he has chance to settle in.

RE: Ocon Officially back to Renault - Jody Barton - 29-08-2019

I do rate Ocon, he had awful reliability ssues while at FI, can't remember which season his car broke down on him in Spain, but he was driving really well that race. Also when you take out dodgy equipment etc. he actually out qualified Perez, who is no slouch while a rookie.

In junior formula he more than held his own against the likes of Leclerc and Verstappen, in fact he schooled Verstappen in many races. I want to see him given a chance, and that's what he's got now. On his junior formula performances you'd lump him in with the likes of Verstappen and Leclerc, because he regularly beat those guys while not at tip top junior teams himself. I've watched him from an early age, his record was very, very good. I'll reserve judgement, because next season he's up against a very good driver in Ricciardo who to be fair is destroying Hulkenberg. Big test for Ocon, but if after a season on the sidelines he's keeping Danny honest... well... it'll speak volumes.

As to Leclerc Morini... he's doing about as well as I expected, he's showing glimpses, his race craft is good, as we all knew it was, but his tyre and car management is weak still, and he's as error prone as ever. Crucially, he's made more mistakes already in the Ferrari than he did in the entire first season at Alfa... and a surprisingly similar level of mistakes to Verstappen did in his first full season at RBR. In short, he's done good, shown he's capable, and he's learning quickly. I would love to see Norris, Russel and Ocon in competitive cars too at some point, because I think the future of F1 is looking pretty safe in these guys hands... but Max has a massive experience head start on them all.

RE: Ocon Officially back to Renault - ChesterB - 17-09-2019

Can you point some of the biggest mistakes by Morini? I don't seem to remember him making a ton of mistakes.

RE: Ocon Officially back to Renault - morini - 17-09-2019

(17-09-2019, 01:59 PM)ChesterB Wrote:  Can you point some of the biggest mistakes by Morini? I don't seem to remember him making a ton of mistakes.

Who are we talking about here? Max Verstappen?

If so, there are several examples in the first couple seasons with RBR. Monaco wall incident, taking Vettel out at (was it) Bahrain, the Dan Ric crash at Baku, plenty of examples of well over the limit defending. 

This last 12 months he's been great though. Very consistent and learning what it takes to contest a WDC. Only blott on copybook being an avoidable DNF at Spa.