F1 Banter Online Forums
How do Ferrari or RBR stop Mercedes? - Printable Version

+- F1 Banter Online Forums (https://www.f1banter.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Formula 1 Discussions (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: F1 General Discussion Board (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: How do Ferrari or RBR stop Mercedes? (/showthread.php?tid=536)

Pages: 1 2 3

How do Ferrari or RBR stop Mercedes? - Jody Barton - 12-05-2019

We go to Monaco and Canada for the next two races, one the slowest track on the circuit, the other one of the quickest, if Mercedes take another couple of 1 - 2's at these two tracks barring mechanical disasters or coming togethers I don't think we'll see anyone challenge them, because their car is that dominant.

RE: How do Ferrari or RBR stop Mercedes? - NeilP - 12-05-2019

I do not think either can, the gap is just way too large. That is not to say they will not win some races I believe they will. In my mind I always favour Red Bull at Monaco but this year I am not so confident of that.

Ferrari are in a huge mess. They need to reset completely. Draw a line under the first 5 races and start over. There is no way they can win the Constructors unless Mercedes withdraw!

I think RBR had already written this season off as one of development. They knew they were not going to be challenging for any title.

To me the interesting race now will be the development battler between Ferrari and Red Bull

RE: How do Ferrari or RBR stop Mercedes? - Jody Barton - 12-05-2019

I think we'll possibly see RBR finishing the season as the better car in 2019 when compared to Ferrari, I think it is fair to say that RBR had the better race car here and in China and Baku compared to Ferrari. If that trend continues and Honda step up their development and RBR develop their car like we know they can 2020 could be a really interesting year, but for now I do fear that Mercedes are gone.

Good God, apparently the TV crew over at Sky Italy are already saying Ferrari should concentrate on their 2021 car and spend whatever it takes to sign Hamilton. I really hope we don't see teams writing off 2020 to "challenge" Mercedes in 2021. That'll cause huge problems for the sport. I think I'd like to see Ferrari and RBR develop their cars this year for a barnstorming 2020. I want to see Max in a car he can challenge with and Ferrari having a car they can compete with too. Right now I think Mercedes might be off in the sunset with the 2019 season already, but giving up on 2020 as well? That's just depressing.

RE: How do Ferrari or RBR stop Mercedes? - morini - 12-05-2019

(12-05-2019, 07:54 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Good God, apparently the TV crew over at Sky Italy are already saying Ferrari should concentrate on their 2021 car

Much as I hate to say it, I am of the same opinion. Even if Ferrari can turn it around and make a fight of 2019, I fear it is already too late. Mercedes aren't going to implode, so basically Ferrari have to beat them for 80% of the remaing races to ovehaul them. I don't see that happening, focus on next season and give CLC a level playing field to compete. Vettel has had hos chance, let him go.

Morini, 2020 is next season, they're saying concentrate on 2021... TWENTY-TWENTY-ONE!!! Kiss next season good bye and build for the new regs. I'm just baffled by this defeatist attitude. Sure this season has gone. But they can build, find out where they went wrong and get it right for next year.

RE: How do Ferrari or RBR stop Mercedes? - morini - 12-05-2019

(12-05-2019, 09:16 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Morini, 2020 is next season, they're saying concentrate on 2021... TWENTY-TWENTY-ONE!!! Kiss next season good bye and build for the new regs. I'm just baffled by this defeatist attitude. Sure this season has gone. But they can build, find out where they went wrong and get it right for next year.

Oh, right. I missed that! Sorry. Yes, you are right, that is very defeatist. All the teams are probably working on 2021 already because it is a big reset, but to start putting full focus on it this early is just giving 2019 and 2020 to Mercedes. Or even RBR if they contuine to come good.

Even if Ferrari do put all their eggs in the 2021 basket, there is no absoulte guarentee of success in a major reset year. Some other team might ace the regualtions or find some killer loophole in the first year of new regs.

Short sighted I think.

[edit]
I've had a few Sunday evening liveners, so sorry for missing the point!

No worries, I had to double check they meant focus on 2021 when I read myself. Just don't get that sort of mentality, having said that, after the restart of the safety car the Mercs put almost 1.5 seconds a lap on the Ferrari's... Hamilton even more really, I think it shows they're not really pushing. I think if it's more one twos in Monaco and Montreal I think Ferrari will already be starting on their 2020 car. Their philosophy is clearly wrong this year, horridly so. I expect to see them move towards RBR and Mercedes as the season goes on.

RE: How do Ferrari or RBR stop Mercedes? - forzaferrari - 12-05-2019

I`ll start worrying when its the team saying things like this, not so much when its Sky Italy`s version....David "mama mia" Croft Wink

RE: How do Ferrari or RBR stop Mercedes? - Jody Barton - 13-05-2019

Agreed Forza, but the Italian sports media exert insane influence over Italian sports. It's like politics and the UK media, just with sport. The papers literally tell the top teams which players they should buy, and when to sack / hire managers. If they all start crowing on like this I hope Ferrari are strong enough to ignore them.