F1 Banter Online Forums
2019 Spanish GP - Printable Version

+- F1 Banter Online Forums (https://www.f1banter.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Formula 1 Discussions (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: F1 General Discussion Board (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: 2019 Race Threads (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+---- Thread: 2019 Spanish GP (/showthread.php?tid=528)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: 2019 Spanish GP - Monster Hesh - 12-05-2019

[Image: D6X-0H-W0AEC2Vt?format=jpg&name=small]

RE: 2019 Spanish GP - NeilP - 12-05-2019

Well I guess we got the race we expected. As a Hamilton and Mercedes fan I am thrilled with the result. As a follower of the sport I am hugely disappointed. To be honest I do not see much changing as we go through the season. I am sure both Ferrari and Red Bull will win races but i do not see anyone being close to Mercedes consistently.

Hamilton: Great win for him but in truth it was all over after the first corner. He is a master of this track. He needs to be pushed to give his best and I think Bottas will do that for the foreseable future.

Bottas: A really solid weekend in which he consolidated his form so far this season. It was lost at the start with a slower start which he put down to clutch issues. Other than that he did nothing wrong.

Verstappen: Driver of the day in most eyes. He is maturing (Finally) as a driver and I think that bodes well for the future. The get ahead of the two Ferraris is no small achievement. How much of that is down to poor Ferrari decision making is debatable what is not debatable is that was a great drive and as good as he could possibly have done.

Vettel: I am NOT giving him the free pass many do. To make the first corner an all or nothing event was another poor decision by him. I am not saying it would have been different otherwise but he basically took himself out of play so early in the race is unacceptable to me.

Leclerc: An okay day but not a good one. The decision to put him on hard tyres was a mystery to me even more so when he was pushing hard to stay ahead of his team mate and burning through them. Clearly they were trying to one stop but that was not the way to go about it.

Gasly: Finished where he should have. His transition from Toro Rosso to Red Bull has not gone well but I think he is in the car for the foreseeable future, to promote Albon would be a mistake in my eyes he is NOT ready and having made that mistake with Kyvat and possible now Gasly to do the same to Albon would be a terrible blow.

Magnussen: Very good drive by Magnussen, finally Haas deliver on the promise of the car. Best of the rest is not a title anyone wants but he deservedly got it today. Lets hope Haas can continue on from here.

Sainz: A race he desperately needed for his confidence especially as it was his home GP. McLaren continue to make progress and their performance makes the performance of the Renault works team even more mystifying.

Kvyat: Looks to be finally getting back into the swing of things had some good solid passes today. Its easy to forget how much promise he showed before his downfall. Still has to lose the Torpedo reputation but I am personally pleased for him. To bounce back after what he went through shows a lot of courage.

Grosjean: Always manages to disappoint, unquestionable talent but clearly he is way to inconsistent and foolhardy at times. I think this is his last year in F1.

Albon: The next rising Red Bull star? Very impressed with this young man. His time in F2 has stood him in great stead and he is a driver to keep a close eye on for the future. 11th is a tough finish for anyone but I think he is learning the arts of F1 very rapidly.

Ricciardo: I personally love this guy and I am so sad to see him in a pathetic Renault team that to me is going backwards. Something needs to change here its not the drivers they would be a good line up for any team. My fear is he will always be on teh outside and his potential will never be fulfilled (in fact just like his team mate)

Hulkenberg: See Ricciardo!

Raikonnen: After a bright start his star is fading I think this will be his last year too. He will always be missed, he is just one of those guys who makes F! better.

Perez: Hugely disappointing race for Force India. They are not the team they were under Vijay Mallya. Supposedly having more money than before they have gone backwards big time. Perez could also be in his last season I guess it just depends how much cash he brings to the table. Solid driver on his day but nothing more.

Giovinazzi: Really dont have much to say on the guy. Do not know him well at all just uninspiring to me just like his results so far.

Russell: I am very impressed with George I wondered if driving for Williams was a poisoned chalice given the terrible car Williams have brought to the season but i think he is impressing people with his drives. I think a good future lies ahead for him.

Kubica: Brave guy but Robert time has passed you by you need to hang it up. Would like to see Ocon get into this car for the rest of the year.

Stroll: Only here because your Dad owns the team. You are skillful for sure but you are not an F1 driver.

Norris. Been very impressed with him so far this season but the crash today was all on him. He is learning but another British driver I feel has a good future.

So on we go to Monaco. The biggest snorefest on the calendar. Sorry I simply cannot muster any joy and excitement for this event (I refuse to call it a race) it needs to go but clearly it never will. The only event that pays nothing. It is disgraceful when Spain, Germany, Italy and Britain is all about the money when this crap is protected!

RE: 2019 Spanish GP - Antilochos - 12-05-2019

(12-05-2019, 06:42 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Well I guess we got the race we expected. As a Hamilton and Mercedes fan I am thrilled with the result. As a follower of the sport I am hugely disappointed. To be honest I do not see much changing as we go through the season. I am sure both Ferrari and Red Bull will win races but i do not see anyone being close to Mercedes consistently.

Hamilton: Great win for him but in truth it was all over after the first corner. He is a master of this track. He needs to be pushed to give his best and I think Bottas will do that for the foreseable future.

Bottas: A really solid weekend in which he consolidated his form so far this season. It was lost at the start with a slower start which he put down to clutch issues. Other than that he did nothing wrong.

Verstappen: Driver of the day in most eyes. He is maturing (Finally) as a driver and I think that bodes well for the future. The get ahead of the two Ferraris is no small achievement. How much of that is down to poor Ferrari decision making is debatable what is not debatable is that was a great drive and as good as he could possibly have done.

Vettel: I am NOT giving him the free pass many do. To make the first corner an all or nothing event was another poor decision by him. I am not saying it would have been different otherwise but he basically took himself out of play so early in the race is unacceptable to me.

Leclerc: An okay day but not a good one. The decision to put him on hard tyres was a mystery to me even more so when he was pushing hard to stay ahead of his team mate and burning through them. Clearly they were trying to one stop but that was not the way to go about it.

Gasly: Finished where he should have.  His transition from Toro Rosso to Red Bull has not gone well but I think he is in the car for the foreseeable future, to promote Albon would be a mistake in my eyes he is NOT ready and having made that mistake with Kyvat and possible now Gasly to do the same to Albon would be a terrible blow.

Magnussen: Very good drive by Magnussen, finally Haas deliver on the promise of the car. Best of the rest is not a title anyone wants but he deservedly got it today. Lets hope Haas can continue on from here.

Sainz: A race he desperately needed for his confidence especially as it was his home GP. McLaren continue to make progress and their performance makes the performance of the Renault works team even more mystifying.

Kvyat: Looks to be finally getting back into the swing of things had some good solid passes today. Its easy to forget how much promise he showed before his downfall. Still has to lose the Torpedo reputation but I am personally pleased for him. To bounce back after what he went through shows a lot of courage.

Grosjean: Always manages to disappoint, unquestionable talent but clearly he is way to inconsistent and foolhardy at times. I think this is his last year in F1.

Albon: The next rising Red Bull star? Very impressed with this young man. His time in F2 has stood him in great stead and he is a driver to keep a close eye on for the future. 11th is a tough finish for anyone but I think he is learning the arts of F1 very rapidly.

Ricciardo: I personally love this guy and I am so sad to see him in a pathetic Renault team that to me is going backwards. Something needs to change here its not the drivers they would be a good line up for any team. My fear is he will always be on teh outside and his potential will never be fulfilled (in fact just like his team mate)

Hulkenberg:  See Ricciardo!

Raikonnen: After a bright start his star is fading I think this will be his last year too. He will always be missed, he is just one of those guys who makes F! better.

Perez: Hugely disappointing race for Force India. They are not the team they were under Vijay Mallya. Supposedly having more money than before they have gone backwards big time. Perez could also be in his last season I guess it just depends how much cash he brings to the table. Solid driver on his day but nothing more.

Giovinazzi: Really dont have much to say on the guy. Do not know him well at all just uninspiring to me just like his results so far.

Russell: I am very impressed with George I wondered if driving for Williams was a poisoned chalice given the terrible car Williams have brought to the season but i think he is impressing people with his drives. I think a good future lies ahead for him.

Kubica: Brave guy but Robert time has passed you by you need to hang it up. Would like to see Ocon get into this car for the rest of the year.

Stroll: Only here because your Dad owns the team. You are skillful for sure but you are not an F1 driver.

Norris. Been very impressed with him so far this season but the crash today was all on him. He is learning but another British driver I feel has a good future.

So on we go to Monaco. The biggest snorefest on the calendar. Sorry I simply cannot muster any joy and excitement for this event (I refuse to call it a race) it needs to go but clearly it never will. The only event that pays nothing.  It is disgraceful when Spain, Germany, Italy and Britain is all about the money when this crap is protected!

Weird, I agree on all you said.

RE: 2019 Spanish GP - morini - 12-05-2019

(12-05-2019, 06:42 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Well I guess we got the race we expected. As a Hamilton and Mercedes fan I am thrilled with the result. As a follower of the sport I am hugely disappointed. <snip>

Nice post, agree with a lot of that as well.

Regarding Monaco, yes, the race is only really there for heritage reasons and I am no fan of the event as a "motor race". However, the highlight of my weekend in terms of excitement and an adrenalin buzz has been, for quite some time, (since they introduced the current format) quali. Monaco quali is very special as it takes real talent, balls and belief in your own ability to get pole around the streets of Monaco. Yes, you need a car suited to the track, but the driver can also make a difference on a banzai lap. Really looking forward to the Saturday sessions. But, yes, the race is always very dull and disappointing. Bound to be when overtaking is borderline impossible.

RE: 2019 Spanish GP - Jody Barton - 12-05-2019

Disagree on the Norris / Stroll incident. Firstly Norris was alongside Strolls car and the rules say you have to leave him space, and Stroll didn't, it was stupid of Stroll to do that as it clearly put him out of the race. On the otherhand Norris should know that going into turn 1 there Stroll was always going to shut the door on him, even if technically he shouldn't have, at that point he should have known discretion is the better part of valor and got out of it. So for me it was six of one half a dozen the other and a silly racing incident on both drivers parts.

PS. This was always going to be a tough track for Alfa, so don't write Kimi off just yet, plus he has a contract for 2020 and I don't see him retiring before then.

RE: 2019 Spanish GP - NeilP - 12-05-2019

(12-05-2019, 07:13 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Disagree on the Norris / Stroll incident. Firstly Norris was alongside Strolls car and the rules say you have to leave him space, and Stroll didn't, it was stupid of Stroll to do that as it clearly put him out of the race. On the otherhand Norris should know that going into turn 1 there Stroll was always going to shut the door on him, even if technically he shouldn't have, at that point he should have known discretion is the better part of valor and got out of it. So for me it was six of one half a dozen the other and a silly racing incident on both drivers parts.

PS. This was always going to be a tough track for Alfa, so don't write Kimi off just yet, plus he has a contract for 2020 and I don't see him retiring before then.

Well, I guess at the end of the day the Stewards decided neither was wholly to blame. Looking back on it I would say it was probably more Strolls fault than Norris's.

RE: 2019 Spanish GP - morini - 13-05-2019

Lewis Hamilton echos all of us in wanting competiton from other teams rather than just his team mate

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181/11718854/lewis-hamilton-wary-of-valtteri-bottas-but-wants-more-title-rivals

I fear he isn't going to get it this year though. Also interesting that he's not totally happy with his car (god help everybody else when he is).

"Ultimately it's a fantastic car it's just the working window that I'm in, with my driving style, it's not always doing what I want it to do"

RE: 2019 Spanish GP - forzaferrari - 13-05-2019

RE: 2019 Spanish GP - forzaferrari - 13-05-2019

Ferrari has admitted that it may have got its car concept wrong this year, in the wake of its Spanish Grand Prix defeat. Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto said an investigation was now under way to get to the bottom of its struggles, as he says the team may have to concede that the concept it adopted this year was wrong. #noshitsherlock

RE: 2019 Spanish GP - Jody Barton - 13-05-2019

I was right about the S3 times and Haas, Toro Rosso, McLaren and maybe even Renault could pose a threat to Ferrari if things don't work out right at Monaco. The reality is at the very least Ferrari should be behind both Mercedes and Red Bull, and I do think if Ferrari struggle with tyres and their high downforce set up then Haas, Toro Rosso and McLaren could be a threat to a poorly performing Ferrari or two. If that happens then I think heads will roll at Ferrari. It's been a grim start for them so far.

PS. Forza, if that wasn't clear to Binotto after China he needs to step down from one of his two roles in the team. Hell, after Baku it was screaming at him that they'd got it wrong. We now know that their pace in Bahrain was so quick because they were running their engines in unsustainable modes, hence Leclerc's issue, and Mercedes in engine saving mode were still able to circulate 9 seconds off of Leclerc after 85% of the race was over. It's certainly clear now after Barcelona, I think Binotto is going to be under extreme pressure from the top brass soon.