F1 Banter Online Forums
2019 Azerbaijan GP - Printable Version

+- F1 Banter Online Forums (https://www.f1banter.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Formula 1 Discussions (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: F1 General Discussion Board (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: 2019 Race Threads (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+---- Thread: 2019 Azerbaijan GP (/showthread.php?tid=517)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - morini - 26-04-2019

(26-04-2019, 06:45 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  [Image: D5GLhQOW0AAedgQ?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]
Take what you want from this official graphic.

Never one to take too much from a practice session graphic me.

Big Grin

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - NeilP - 26-04-2019

Hesh - I take away that Ferrari better qualify ahead of Mercedes or there is a danger they may just drive away with the race.

I am also somewhat bemused/amused that yet again Renault are being bested by a customer team. Last year it was Red Bull this race it is McLaren.

The drop off from Racing Point stands out too.

P3 will be a lot more interesting I feel

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - Monster Hesh - 26-04-2019

(26-04-2019, 07:31 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Seen this on twatter

How on Earth, does it take for a track failure, for fans to see this level of insight into an F1 car?!

Great find, dude.

Have I just been really out of touch, has it been too long a week, or is this totally messed up?

Official F1 article.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.hamilton-gap-to-ferrari-will-be-tough-to-close.6xbqTbp3dFtpYs8VSqUFPC.html

"Team mate Valtteri Bottas finished Friday’s running fourth, a little over two-tenths behind Hamilton. Unlike his colleague, the Finn at least had the consolation of having obvious areas for potential improvement."

What??

(26-04-2019, 08:22 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  How on Earth, does it take for a track failure, for fans to see this level of insight into an F1 car?!

Great find, dude.

Dunno really, you think? Am I overstepping the mark for saying this is stating the bleeding obvious? This is why we all (I say all, perhaps not?) thought drain covers were always welded down at street circuits to prevent the huge downforce a F1 car floor generates from sucking them up like a hoover and spitting them onto the track. Not at Baku though, so it seems.

Proper race tracks don't have drain covers, by the way. Sorry if I come across as a cock for pointing that out, but c'est la vie! Perhaps the next F1 technical challenge will be how to make a 1000bhp race car handle city roads like a Ford Fiesta? I might be interpreted as being factious, but that's the way it's going with all these city tracks. I hate them and want to see more real race circuits on the calendar.

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - Jody Barton - 26-04-2019

Bottas trashed his tyres Hesh, took a few too many excursions. He had a really scrappy FP2 and looked out of sorts to be honest with you. A very un-Bottas like session. In these sorts of conditions he's normally more cautious and circumspect, but today he seemed to push a little too hard in the dusty condition and it didn't really pay off in my opinion. He was also "only" 0.921 off of the lead also, not 1.3 seconds, but he was essentially 0.3 off of his team mate who was in cruise control today as Seb said "there's a lot more pace to come from Lewis". Just spoke to a friend who said it was a very Schumacher session from Lewis, flew under the radar, looked like he was comfortable, didn't push, clearly hiding pace and in the race sims looked rapid as hell. I will be intrigued to see how close Lewis is to the Ferrari's tomorrow and vice versa. Bottas will need to improve, but he's good enough to do that, and if he doesn't with Ferrari clearly favouring Seb I think soon Mercedes might pull team orders too, so Bottas needs to be close to Lewis and hopefully ahead of the Ferrari's because coming into Europe he does not want Toto deciding he's not got a shot this season.

I've never seen a simple graphic showing the downforce levels long the car. That graph provides a great visual representation of the different areas of the car, and the downforce they generate. Sure I knew it was like this, but I got numbers now, and localisation on the car.

Only because a manhole cover was "hovered" up do we see this. They could just say, force acting on the ground, and totally ignore the manhole aspect of todays events.

Would be good to see this for other years/regulations for comparison.

So far this season, as in previous seasons, it's the race pace in FP2 that is best at determining qualifying pace / outright pace. Some clever sod did a calculation last year for each race and found that Mercedes tended to "find" significantly more than Ferrari from Friday to Saturday, and that there was a calculation whereby you took the average race pace and a teams flying laps and did some jiggery pokery and you got a nice statistical range. Can't find the blog now, but my gut is saying the advantage Lewis had over the Ferrari's in race trim was significant, and the tow down the start finish straight according to one of the TR engineers was worth as much a 0.7 tenths apparently, so we might see teams using the tow in qualifying tomorrow, but importantly Leclerc got a nice tow on his fastest lap today, and Vettel picked a bit of a tow up as well... Lewis did not. I'd still if gun to my head would say perhaps Ferrari are a little bit ahead, but it's not by 0.7 of a second, and when Mercedes turn their engine up and Lewis pushes... well... lets just say I wouldn't be stunned if we saw him on pole tomorrow.

(26-04-2019, 09:04 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  lets just say I wouldn't be stunned if we saw him on pole tomorrow.

I don't have numbers to back my opinion up, but let’s just say "unlikely, I don't think so". I do think Lewis will be in the hunt(ish), but on lower fuel levels I reckon this is an outright Ferrari track and I expect them to lock out the front row tomorrow (I still think CDC is the faster Ferrari driver low and high fuel). I will be very surprised if a Merc is on the front row. Let me qualify this by saying I've not seen or tried to analyse any numbers, I was casually watching the Sky coverage of P2 with the volume off and just going by "feel" from what I saw watching the cars.

Race pace though? Who knows, pole may not be everything for this one. Last year Vettel had plenty of pace to control the gap from the front, was never under pressure and circumstances led to the eventual outcome. Baku isn't what you'd call a form / favourite track for Hamilton either, so I am expecting a damage limitation approach from him if he thinks Ferrari have the upper hand.

I could be completely off kilter on this one, but tomorrow afternoon will tell us a fair bit. What I do know is Hamilton has been playing the "eye on WDC" game from round one.

Also, have to say, I will be perfectly happy if Ferrari do hit back this weekend.

Morini I'm leaning Ferrari, and to be honest you'd need your head checking if you didn't after that Friday session. However, Lewis' race pace stints were eye opening, as were Verstappen's truth be told. Given the power of the tow down the main straight I don't think sitting on pole will be the big benefit some think it will be. A front row Ferrari lock out? Given their straight line advantage prior to Baku I'd not have been surprised. After today you'd say it wouldn't be a surprise, but I just feel Lewis was holding more back. We'll see.

(26-04-2019, 09:04 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  So far this season, as in previous seasons, it's the race pace in FP2 that is best at determining qualifying pace / outright pace. Some clever sod did a calculation last year for each race and found that Mercedes tended to "find" significantly more than Ferrari from Friday to Saturday, and that there was a calculation whereby you took the average race pace and a teams flying laps and did some jiggery pokery and you got a nice statistical range. 

hehe, was that me? : P

I had a very basic tally going, that indicated that Merc found more. I'm sure I spewed a few numbers last year, "Ferrari need to be 0.XXs, or XX% ahead on a Fri to be in contention" but couldn't be bothered this year, lost the spare time to do it.

I'm sure your source was much more comprehensive though : )

[Image: D5G34PJW0AAsrCb?format=png&name=small]

@hlawiczka

Top bunch pretty much nailed their laps.