F1 Banter Online Forums
2019 Azerbaijan GP - Printable Version

+- F1 Banter Online Forums (https://www.f1banter.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Formula 1 Discussions (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: F1 General Discussion Board (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: 2019 Race Threads (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+---- Thread: 2019 Azerbaijan GP (/showthread.php?tid=517)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - morini - 28-04-2019

(28-04-2019, 09:00 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Hate to get pernickity, but it is, as the first person to achieve a record holds the record, others only match it. Like it's the same in track and field, you match a record, it isn't yours. I know this as I matched the school boys record for 1500m in the UK years ago to the thousandth. Not my record, I just matched somebody elses, so technically I'm right. Wink

Hmmm..., interpretation.

Ferrari and Mercedes have each done 5 WCC/WDC doubles, that is a shared record in my books. Anyway, I'm not going to get too hung up about semantics because I can't see anyone stopping Mercedes taking it outright this year (and then the consecutive WCC record next).

Anyway, on a different topic, why is it the FIA scheduled qualy and race so late? Qualy was 2:00pm UK (5pm local) and the race almost an hour earlier. Given the light levels and track temps we saw yesterday does anyone else think they should be starting earlier? Like 2pm Local?

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - Jody Barton - 28-04-2019

(28-04-2019, 09:03 AM)morini Wrote:  Hmmm..., interpretation.

Not really, that's how records work, first to do them sets them, others match or break them, and in so doing set new records.

(28-04-2019, 09:03 AM)morini Wrote:  I can't see anyone stopping Mercedes taking it outright this year (and then the consecutive WCC record next).

On that I wholeheartedly agree, and if they do it congratulations to them, and at this rate Lewis will match Schumacher's 7 WDC's no problem, and he'll certainly beat his other records comfortably I'd assume at this rate probably this season or next. Hell, unless he retires I can see him breaking the 7 WDC's at this rate.

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - Monster Hesh - 28-04-2019

(28-04-2019, 09:09 AM)morini Wrote:  Anyway, on a different topic, why is it the FIA scheduled qualy and race so late? Qualy was 2:00pm UK (5pm local) and the race almost an hour earlier. Given the light levels and track temps we saw yesterday does anyone else think they should be starting earlier? Like 2pm Local?

I think they try to start GP's to tie in with 13:00 GMT. 
I agree though, with the high chance of major stoppages at this track, starting the race that late, is playing with visibility.
Which is why I think they should covert this to a "night" race. Start the race at sunset, with a flood lit circuit. Is Singapore can do it, so can Baku, it would become the highest F1 spectacle, IMO. Huge unpredictability(though yesterdays qually wasn't), visually striking and engaging.

(28-04-2019, 09:20 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  
(28-04-2019, 09:03 AM)morini Wrote:  Hmmm..., interpretation.

Not really, that's how records work, first to do them sets them, others match or break them, and in so doing set new records.

You may well be technically correct and maybe I shouldn't bang on about it in a race thread. I hadn't really thought about it deeply, but in a sport like F1 that way of looking at records is pretty stupid IMO. So if / when Lewis Hamilton matches Michael Scumachers record of 7 WDC it is Schmachers record and Lewis only "matches it"? In my eyes they then both jointly own that record until someone else comes along and goes one better. Either way, the history books will show two names against 7xWDC in the same way they currently show two names with 5xWDC. I understand what you are saying and I'd say technically correct, but in the context of F1 records it is stupid. I'll always view two teams / individuals who hold the same record as "joint holders". So, if nobody has since beaten it you yourself are a joint 1500m record holder.

If there is a written down law that backs you up then fair enough, but even then I'd argue that it is a nonesensical way of viewing records.

(28-04-2019, 09:28 AM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  
(28-04-2019, 09:09 AM)morini Wrote:  Anyway, on a different topic, why is it the FIA scheduled qualy and race so late? Qualy was 2:00pm UK (5pm local) and the race almost an hour earlier. Given the light levels and track temps we saw yesterday does anyone else think they should be starting earlier? Like 2pm Local?

I think they try to start GP's to tie in with 13:00 GMT. 

Correct Hesh, and they do it for TV broadcasters scheduling. Although, given F1 is now shown mostly on sports channels and not normal terrestrial channels that require set times to show the latest soap opera it is a hangover the sport could do well without in my humble opinion. A  night race in Baku? Yeah, I can see that, although it's an expensive thing to do to floodlight a track the size of Baku, plus given the proximity of some of the residential, and historic buildings to the track I'm not sure how they'd manage it. I'm sure they could though, and it might be worth checking out, although cooler air and track temps at night at the end of that straight could prove treacherous to current F1 cars.

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - forzaferrari - 28-04-2019

*An Alfa Romeo team representative has been summoned to the stewards. Kimi`s
 car didn't pass the front wing deflection test.  Sad

Motorsport: Ferrari confirm to me that @Charles_Leclerc will start P9 however they still can't tell me about his tyres - clearly he will start on Medium’s and can’t use the tyres from the crash…

Hopefully that message on his dash was some kind of joke or photoshop surely... nope I guess it could have meant he was up on his previous time he'd set...

As to the monocoque... I take my hat off to the Ferrari engineers if they've been able to salvage it, because that's some seriously fine work with the sticky back plastic and superglue.

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - PapaofGags - 28-04-2019

(28-04-2019, 10:06 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  

Motorsport: Ferrari confirm to me that @Charles_Leclerc will start P9 

Yipee!   Big Grin 

Looking forward to an angry Charles on attack mode, nothing to do with him being my DT captain.....  Hehe   Tongue

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - Monster Hesh - 28-04-2019

hehe, Charles starting at the back could potentially give him much more Dream Team points than a P9 start : P