F1 Banter Online Forums
2019 Azerbaijan GP - Printable Version

+- F1 Banter Online Forums (https://www.f1banter.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Formula 1 Discussions (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: F1 General Discussion Board (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: 2019 Race Threads (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+---- Thread: 2019 Azerbaijan GP (/showthread.php?tid=517)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - Jody Barton - 27-04-2019

Not suicidal yet Paps, but I just can see Merc scampering away given their race pace during FP2, and Sebs race pace was grim. If he stays ahead of Max at the start I can't see anyone challenging the silver cars.

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - morini - 27-04-2019

(27-04-2019, 06:29 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  "However, only once has a pole sitter in Baku finished on the podium - Nico Rosberg when he won in 2016"

Found ^^^ this on Sky, so probability's mean we should have a mixed up podium.   Wink

You know I don't rate this one as a "race", but I'm pretty confident it will throw up a lot of randomness tomorrow.

I wouldn't bet agains Charlie winning it starting on mediums (if circumstances are as random as they usually are).

Morini, I'm not begrudging Mercedes, they're doing an amazing job, and going on the "gap" between Seb and Leclerc, he'd have been closer to pole maybe, but actually, I'm not sure it was quite as nailed on as we thought. However, I'm bored of the silver cars now. It's up to the other teams to step it up, and challenge, but I just can't see it. Hearing both Charles and Seb have cooling issues here too. I'm not sure I can see Mercedes dominance being broken any time soon.

(27-04-2019, 07:01 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I'm not sure I can see Mercedes dominance being broken any time soon.

Well, I'd like the competition to offer more tension through the season, but I make no secret that I really want to see Mercedes make their own piece of history this year. I would also prefer it if Lewis adds to his WDC tally, but I wouldn't be too disappointed if Valterri won the WDC this year because I like him a lot (and also seemingly rate him more than most do).

Valterri is and was always a great qualifier. Like anyone, he has off days, but he's a bloody quick one lap driver.

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - PapaofGags - 27-04-2019

(27-04-2019, 06:57 PM)morini Wrote:  I wouldn't bet agains Charlie winning it starting on mediums (if circumstances are as random as they usually are).

Just had a look on Pokerstars, looks like the bookies agree mate Charles is 13/2

I was thinking I might have a bet earlier (only$5) but I was expecting better odds so will give it a miss, will be exciting watching him on *Mad mode*  Cool

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - Monster Hesh - 27-04-2019

how many regs changes have Merc dominated now? This the fourth? Their team and resources are too good.

(27-04-2019, 07:43 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  how many regs changes have Merc dominated now? This the fourth? Their team and resources are too good.

Only one real reg change. The others have been pretty insignificant at the end of the day.

Yeah, you're right, it's technically 4, although the FRIC and wing changes in 2016 weren't a "full" change really... although there was rear wing and front wing changes too... fuck it, yeah, it's 4. Here's hoping 2021 are a massive change. Give someone the chance to ace them, although at this point you'd put money on that being Merc.

Actually it only counts as "dominating" across 3 changes, but 4 reg types so far if they "dominate these regs. There were also the floor changes in 2016, but as Morini says, I'm not sure they really count as a full change. 2017 definitely was, and this year too, completely different aero concepts whereas 2016 was more evolution, still impressive.

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - Antilochos - 27-04-2019

I strongly believe the Mercedes team is by far the best this year (and last years) and was expecting them to come out on top.
However, the top three was much closer then I anticipated. But what makes it more intriguing is that the tow is such a big factor at this circuit this year.

Now I keep wondering; what would be the outcome if Ferrari and Red Bull had two drivers in the third session? How would those six drivers have effected each other and therefor the outcome?

Mercedes is quite frankly the best team I've ever seen in F1. No question for me. They're quite frankly phenomenal, and given the competition for that title from the Brawn / Todt era Ferrari and Senna / Prost era McLaren amongst some others that's saying something. They have been brutally efficient for such a long time it's utterly scary and there is no sign of them letting up. I don't think they had the best car in 2017 or 2018, but they developed their car better than anyone else, and they got the most out of their package virtually every weekend. There is not a single weakness in that team, not one. They are utterly terrifying, and if they get a one two tomorrow would anyone bet against them doing the double again. Rumours in the paddock are they're deliberately limiting their new engine design before cranking up the performance for spec 2 in Canada. If true then heaven help the other teams.

Ah crap... Ferrari may have had to use a new monocoque for Charles Leclerc in rebuilding his car. If so he'll be starting from the pit lane like Gasly. May as well bang in a new gearbox as well if that's the case. He'll learn from it.