F1 Banter Online Forums
2019 Azerbaijan GP - Printable Version

+- F1 Banter Online Forums (https://www.f1banter.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Formula 1 Discussions (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: F1 General Discussion Board (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: 2019 Race Threads (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+---- Thread: 2019 Azerbaijan GP (/showthread.php?tid=517)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - Jody Barton - 27-04-2019

Sorry Hesh nope, it wasn't you. ?

It was some French blogger, had a very comprehensive list of analysis after each race and by Singapore GP he'd written a really nice analysis of what was going on in general. Any way long and short of it was this. If Ferrari were way off on Friday, they were normally way off on Saturday, but a tad better Sunday. If Mercedes were way off on Friday they were usually much, much closer Saturday and then quicker in the races. That's a really poor summary because there were percentages and performance gap windows to look for.

Ironically Ferrari had the most to worry about when Mercedes were seemingly between 0.5 and O.7 seconds off on ultimate pace on a Sunday. Why? Because they'd turn that gap around 9 times out of 10 and win the race, which I found interesting. And Mercedes had the most to worry about when Ferrari seemed 0.3 to 0.4 seconds ahead. So something tells me they play far more poker on a Friday than many think.

But, what is always more indicative of real pace on a Friday are those race stints and from last season the team that looked ahead on race pace on Friday took pole 18 out of 21 races and won 12 out of 21 races. However, when Mercedes had the fastest race sims on Friday they always converted it to pole position bar one race (China, where they went wrong on set up over night with Lewis, had the pace to win the race but didn't put under the safety car), and converted that race pace advantage everywhere except the opening 3 races Australia, Bahrain and China where Lewis was done by a safety car blip, Bottas Bottled it in Bahrain and Mercedes pit wall had a collective brain fart in China.

Truth is after these races they learned and just didn't put a foot wrong again. Which is why when I now think about it this start from them is ominous, because unless Ferrari really do have a way faster car they can unlock, history says Mercedes will do them... and do them comfortably. Morini is right as well Lewis is already in WDC mode. In Aus he turned his engine down when he knew Bottas had turned his up. In Bahrain he did the same, but when he got a sniff that something was wrong with Leclerc he suddenly upped his own pace by 0.9 seconds a lap, again hinting at engine saving. Ditto China where once he gapped Bottas both times he hit cruise control.

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - forzaferrari - 27-04-2019

AMuS reporting Mercedes has put bigger rear wings on both cars & Renault also running more downforce today we have been told.

Yeah, I figured Merc would crank more wing on when they saw they weren't down on Ferrari on the straights, and Bottas was actually significantly quicker.

RE: 2019 Azerbaijan GP - morini - 27-04-2019

Interesting Ferrari are out on softs early in P3 where Mercedes are on mediums. Weren't the weekend tyre allocations the same for both teams? I think they were posted but I'm not plannng on trawling back through the thread.

[edit]
And why is VB so slow? He's 2 sconds off the leaders pace currently.

What's more interesting is that Lewis is only 0.621 behind Leclerc on this Mediums and Pirelli were saying the delta between the Softs and Mediums is about 1 second. Do not, I repeat DO NOT rule out Mercedes and Lewis for pole here.

(27-04-2019, 11:29 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  What's more interesting is that Lewis is only 0.621 behind Leclerc on this Mediums and Pirelli were saying the delta between the Softs and Mediums is about 1 second. Do not, I repeat DO NOT rule out Mercedes and Lewis for pole here.

Maybe, but why the contra strategy for P3? Am I wrong about the tyre allocations, i.e. did Ferrari bring more softs than Mercedes?

Bottas is still really scrappy and just not up to Lewis' speed this weekend it seems. If I were Toto I might have a world in his shell like about giving Mercedes number 1 driver the tow. He won't like it... but it's worth considering.

Don't think so, I actually think Mercedes brought more Softs, but I think after yesterday Ferrari gave their Mediums back whereas Mercedes gave their Softs, plus running on the Mediums will allow Mercedes to bang in more laps and work more on set up. Which is clearly what they are doing. Lewis at the top of the lap count.

Also, my mates just pointed out the mediums are probably better for laying down rubber in the pit box.

Also interesting that Lewsi was within .002 at ebd of second sector and then lost over 0.5 s in the last. I'm talking about his soft run now.

Yeah, was nowhere near his best S3 either. Not sure what's going on here but I think Ferrari are in front. But they have trouble with Sebs car.

Agree, weird one to call. Lewis just did another purple s1 then backed off. Since been bettered by Leclerc. I think its clearly LeClercs pole though looking at this lap!

And both Vettel and Hamilton then make mistakes. I think this is Ferraris pole for sure (I'll put my money on CLC) but who really knows about race pace?