F1 Banter Online Forums
What next for Ocon? - Printable Version

+- F1 Banter Online Forums (https://www.f1banter.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Formula 1 Discussions (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Driver Contract Gossip (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: What next for Ocon? (/showthread.php?tid=316)

What next for Ocon? - NeilP - 20-08-2018

Yes this promising young and up and coming driver could be out of a seat very soon (surely he is okay for Spa?) depending of course what happens with Lance Stroll and Sergio Perez.  I would think short term ie the rest of the season the team will want to keep Perez and the money he brings to the table and I am sure Lawrence Stroll did not buy the team only not to have his son drive for them.

There was much talk earlier in the year of him going to Renault but it looks like that door has been very firmly closed so his options are looking decidedly thin on the ground. I doubt Haas will want a Mercedes driver in the team. Likewise Sauber (but would he want to go there even if he could).  I dont think Toro Rosso are in play and I highly doubt Red Bull are either but I would not completely close that door but it is probably 99% shut! That basically leaves McLaren and Williams.

I think Vandoorne is probably done at McLaren or in my opinion he should be, he could go to Sauber as he supposedly has a relationship with Freddie Vasseur but I dont see that happening. That would leave one seat open with Norris also in play.

Then we have Williams. Strolls departure will leave one seat open and I do not think Sirotkin is a certainty for the other seat either. I am not even certain Williams will survive in its existing state of play.  I am certain Mercedes are watching very closely what is going on there. A) I think they will be looking to acquire a 'second' team just as Ferrari have.  B) They have a lot of drivers and nowhere to put them.  If they took over I see two of either Russell, Ocon and possibly even Wehrlein driving there next season.

Roll on Spa its been a miserable few weeks, compounded this week by the pathetic performance of the England cricket team but thats for another forum or another day (I dont need Morini kicking me in the posterior again I am already on a 15 place grid penalty)

RE: What next for Ocon? - LotusLover - 20-08-2018

(20-08-2018, 09:57 AM)NeilP Wrote:  Yes this promising young and up and coming driver could be out of a seat very soon (surely he is okay for Spa?) depending of course what happens with Lance Stroll and Sergio Perez.  I would think short term ie the rest of the season the team will want to keep Perez and the money he brings to the table and I am sure Lawrence Stroll did not buy the team only not to have his son drive for them.

There was much talk earlier in the year of him going to Renault but it looks like that door has been very firmly closed so his options are looking decidedly thin on the ground. I doubt Haas will want a Mercedes driver in the team. Likewise Sauber (but would he want to go there even if he could).  I dont think Toro Rosso are in play and I highly doubt Red Bull are either but I would not completely close that door but it is probably 99% shut! That basically leaves McLaren and Williams.

I think Vandoorne is probably done at McLaren or in my opinion he should be, he could go to Sauber as he supposedly has a relationship with Freddie Vasseur but I dont see that happening. That would leave one seat open with Norris also in play.

Then we have Williams. Strolls departure will leave one seat open and I do not think Sirotkin is a certainty for the other seat either. I am not even certain Williams will survive in its existing state of play.  I am certain Mercedes are watching very closely what is going on there. A) I think they will be looking to acquire a 'second' team just as Ferrari have.  B) They have a lot of drivers and nowhere to put them.  If they took over I see two of either Russell, Ocon and possibly even Wehrlein driving there next season.

Roll on Spa its been a miserable few weeks, compounded this week by the pathetic performance of the England cricket team but thats for another forum or another day (I dont need Morini kicking me in the posterior again I am already on a 15 place grid penalty
Hey Neil it’s not all bad we are 2-1 up aren’t we?

Would be a travesty for Ocon indeed, don’t you think all these driver programmes are becoming akin to Premiership football clubs loan systems? Lot s if potential but just not enough space at the top? Plus now with smaller teams using the big boys engines it’s like they are almost entitle day to olace their drivers into the seats, wouldn’t it Ben fairer off, if the winners of respective lower series got priority (or is that the case?). Saying that that if your good enough seats become few and far between. Need more teams on the grid!!!

RE: What next for Ocon? - Purple-banana - 20-08-2018

(20-08-2018, 09:57 AM)NeilP Wrote:  I am sure Lawrence Stroll did not buy the team only not to have his son drive for them.

But to be fair, it's not as if the Williams cars are plastered in Bombardier branding is it? And it's not like Billy Joe F1 is going to be calling Bombardier Sales and placing an order for a couple of hundred million dollars worth of trains or planes either. Whilst I am sure he is ultimately benefiting from the exposure his involvement brings, I very much think it's primary goal is giving his excuse-for-a-racing-driver son the best career he can without handing over the family business...

(If Lance Stroll was your son, would you want to hand over a multi-billion dollar global business to him?)

(20-08-2018, 09:57 AM)NeilP Wrote:  (I dont need Morini kicking me in the posterior again I am already on a 15 place grid penalty)

Nothing left to lose, might as well go the whole hog now and start from the pit lane!  Big Grin

RE: What next for Ocon? - Monster Hesh - 20-08-2018

This bombardier?

https://youtu.be/RxfU5gCfvys?t=10s

RE: What next for Ocon? - Purple-banana - 20-08-2018

Ha! No, one like this... (keep watching to the end....)

https://youtu.be/C80grd2CrTI

RE: What next for Ocon? - LotusLover - 20-08-2018

(20-08-2018, 08:44 PM)TMonster Hesh Wrote:  This bombardier?

https://youtu.be/RxfU5gCfvys?t=10s

Hahaha great adverts great man great ?