F1 Banter Online Forums
What now for the drivers market? - Printable Version

+- F1 Banter Online Forums (https://www.f1banter.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Formula 1 Discussions (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: F1 General Discussion Board (https://www.f1banter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: What now for the drivers market? (/showthread.php?tid=290)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

What now for the drivers market? - NeilP - 05-08-2018

I boldly and rather stupidly posted my predictions for the 2019 line up on 12th July.  Scrap that it about as close to reality as the Star Wars movies!

Daniel Ricciardo and his move to Renault has shocked the F1 world, nobody and I mean nobody saw this coming.  The move has many implications. First I wonder if at some stage this season now Red Bull will drop him from team and maybe bring in Gasly who many think will be his replacement. It would be harsh and in my eyes classless but this is Red Bull we are talking about. The most ruthless team in F1.

What does that mean for Carlos Sainz?  Clearly he has no drive for 2019 now and although Red Bull hold his contract I do not think there is anyway he will be driving for the number one team. Toro Rosso sure could use his experience but I doubt he would accept that demotion. This probably leaves McLaren who most say is the obvious move but what about a move to Hass?

Clearly Ocon will not be moving to Renault now so what does that mean for Force India?  Does that affect the alleged Stroll family and their proposed buyout of the team?

If Sainz does move to McLaren who will he replace?  The thought is Vandoorne but are we sure Alonso is going to be there next season? Lots of people are saying with the personnel moves they are making that Alonso will probably remain for another season. So does that mean goodbye Stoffel?

Vandoorne to Sauber is another major rumour to replace one of their drivers. Talk from there is Leclerc may go to Ferrari but the rumour mill is churning out more Kimi for another year rumour. Talk of even moving Leclerc to Hass.  Ericcson to survive another year OMG please no.

Williams Stroll to Force India has been a long standing thought but will it now happen?  Russell to Williams is also thought to be a possibility for next year so where would that leave Sirotkin?

Toro Rosso could have two seats available but if Gasly does go to Red Bull does that mean Hartley will stay as an experienced driver?  Surely two young rookie talents in the team at the same time is not a smart move moreso when still trying to develop the Honda engine.

So what now I ask you knowledgeable bunch of F1 fans?

Come on I want to see your bold predictions, dont be shy now I will not hold it against you in the future Smile

RE: What now for the drivers market? - Purple-banana - 05-08-2018

“Anything can happen in Formula 1, and it usually does!”

RE: What now for the drivers market? - NeilP - 05-08-2018

"“Anything can happen in Formula 1, and it usually does!”

Hey come on John, that is an easy cop out I am not letting you get away that easily!!!! Smile

RE: What now for the drivers market? - morini - 05-08-2018

Well, I think it will be pretty stable until the new regs come in as most f the big players are aligned on contract end dates. At that point there will probably be a big reshuffle.

My prediction:

Hamilton to Ferrari in 2021, Vettel to retire.

RE: What now for the drivers market? - LotusLover - 05-08-2018

Why would Vettel retire at 34 yrs of age? I find that a baffling remark Has he said he would retire at that age?

Gasly to RBR, Sainz to Mclaren, Alonso this leave F1 or a sneaky switch to Ferrari/Red Bull? Kimi extension and Le Clerc to Haas maybe? I’ve left I filled as I’m all guessed out ha

RE: What now for the drivers market? - morini - 05-08-2018

(05-08-2018, 12:14 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  Why would Vettel retire at 34 yrs of age? I find that a baffling remark Has he said he would retire at that age?

Why wouldn't he? Button was what, 36? Not much difference.

Over the last decade or so F1 has become much more of a young drivers sport. They are defiately starting a lot earlier than they used to back in the day. Difficult to stay motivted if you aren't winning titles. If Hamilton takes the title for the next 3 years (including this one) I don't see Vettel having the motivation to continue after that. By that time there will be even more new talent on the scene.

RE: What now for the drivers market? - LotusLover - 05-08-2018

Very much doubt it Kimi is 37 and he is still going, Alonso must be what 36? Depends what happens between if he wins a title or two no chance he will retire if not then maybe he will call it a day, too early for me at 34

RE: What now for the drivers market? - Foghorn Leghorn - 05-08-2018

(05-08-2018, 11:41 AM)morini Wrote:  Hamilton to Ferrari in 2021, Vettel to retire.

(05-08-2018, 12:22 PM)morini Wrote:  Why wouldn't he? Button was what, 36? Not much difference.

Sorry Morini, I have to side with Lotus here, so you think Lewis will move to SF and Seb will retire? Not following the logic on this one.

just checked and Seb is currently 31, while Lewis is 33, now. Not that I've always (or ever) over the years bought Lewis' BS, about retiring, yeah, yeah, other interests and all that, but he's just signed on again to 2021 as we know, when Seb will be 33, while Lewis will be 35.

I honestly couldn't call it, but going by your "age" logic, wouldn't Lewis be the more likely to retire and pursue his other interests, rather than begin another new era in the sport?

RE: What now for the drivers market? - PapaofGags - 05-08-2018

My view/hope is they will swap teams, everybody wants to drive a red car, Lewis to Ferrari, Sebastian to Mercedes in 2021. Wink

(05-08-2018, 11:06 AM)Purple-banana Wrote:  “Anything can happen in Formula 1, and it usually does!”

Murray at his very best.   Big Grin

RE: What now for the drivers market? - Foghorn Leghorn - 05-08-2018

(05-08-2018, 06:38 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  My view/hope is they will swap teams, everybody wants to drive a red car, Lewis to Ferrari, Sebastian to Mercedes in 2021. Wink

(05-08-2018, 11:06 AM)Purple-banana Wrote:  “Anything can happen in Formula 1, and it usually does!”

Murray at his very best.   Big Grin

well said asusual Paps, and I know of your wish for him to win at 3 different teams, but something occurred to me a while back, he's never done it without - Mercedes power Smile

wouldn't the real challenge be to do it in an RBR / Honda? haha Smile